What handle bar width is appropiate on a xc country bike rule..I see they are getting wider from 10 years ago.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
pythagorean-theorem-hypotenuse-mods-big-big-900-gay-2-2-43006227.png

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Thomson xc bars came with 730 and they feel pretty nice. Wider than I had but not so wide that I’m clipping too many trees.

serviceguy

Lean on a counter with your hands close together. Then go wide. Notice that your body is stretched forward as you widen your hands. Same deal.

True if you starts with your arms parallel to each other. I personally at 5'11" moved from 740 to 800 and I am not clipping more trees than before. I find useful to hold the grips at their very end and still keep 1 finger on the brake lever.

TimBay

True if you starts with your arms parallel to each other. I personally at 5'11" moved from 740 to 800 and I am not clipping more trees than before. I find useful to hold the grips at their very end and still keep 1 finger on the brake lever.
Yeah, I'm sure you get used to knowing where your hands are and all that. My bike came with 780, so its all I know. And yes, always keep a finger on the brakes is a good idea. Lol. I have shitty tektro brakes with long levers and I've sacrificed a bit in having to reach for the shifters a little in order to have optimal brake lever position. I'm used to it and braking is the most important thing on the cockpit.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, I'm sure you get used to knowing where your hands are and all that. My bike came with 780, so its all I know. And yes, always keep a finger on the brakes is a good idea. Lol. I have shitty tektro brakes with long levers and I've sacrificed a bit in having to reach for the shifters a little in order to have optimal brake lever position. I'm used to it and braking is the most important thing on the cockpit.

Swap the brake and shifter clamps so you can slide the brake clamp further in board to get both optimized. Thisnworks as long as no matchmaker

TimBay

Swap the brake and shifter clamps so you can slide the brake clamp further in board to get both optimized. Thisnworks as long as no matchmaker
Tried that once and the shifters were in the way...but that was before I learned I could upshift with my thumb :\ might try it again.

mtbiker87

I ride my 800's at jungle and git through ok. Usually, no two trees are exactly across from each other. You just have to learn to look ahead, anticipate the gap, and quickly lean from side to side to sort of saw past 'em. BUT..saying that...I'm not sure I wouldnt be faster with 'em trimmed down to maybe...780 ?...770 ?

Top Bottom