What Gear for road SS?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Just curious what range of gears you run on your road SS? And what terrain you use it for? Mr pixy may convert an old lugged bike we have sitting around. We were thinking a two ring/two cog switchable type thing that I could use for commuting.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I think this may depend on where you live and how much you like to spin/mash, but, before I sold my fixie I was running a 48x17 through Piscatway/Watchung area and there were only a few climbs that I had to avoid, like Washington Rock or Warrenville Road, everywhere else it was fine.

-Jim.

ArmyOfNone

I have been running a 48x18. I have been able to climb a good amount of stuff in the area, but I have yet to really put it to the test.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i'm running 75 gear inches on both of my fixies.

40x14 on my zinn, 700c. 75.1 gi
42x15 on my bamboo bike, has 27 inch wheels tho. 75.8 gi

i haven't had any problems yet (besides off road sometimes), but i wouldn't go much higher than that...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
42 x 16 with my shogun and cross tires. With slicks I will probably drop to a 15 or 14.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Thanks. This is exactly what I want to hear. I plan to use what I have, but it helps to have a starting point or goal. My only road SS experience is when I broke my shift cable on a group ride through Harriman. 39X13 or 53X13 was it :cry:

The Kalmyk

i'm running 75 gear inches on both of my fixies.

40x14 on my zinn, 700c. 75.1 gi
42x15 on my bamboo bike, has 27 inch wheels tho. 75.8 gi

i haven't had any problems yet (besides off road sometimes), but i wouldn't go much higher than that...

Gear inches:rofl:...Your a geek;)

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
70 is the magic number

A 70" gear is the traditional number for roadies doing winter fixed gear training. I've ridden thousands of miles over the last few years on this gear, and it allows me to do everything from climb (brief) 10% grades to roll in a 25mph paceline.

I use a 42x16, but other combinations will produce the same rollout. Go to www.sheldonbrown.com and plug your gears into the online calculator to see what you have. And have fun!

BiknBen

When I had a flip-flop hub on my Surly, I ran it 42x16 fixed and 42x18 Free.

The 18t freewheel was intended for those hillier or longer rides. It provides a little more climbing ability and the option to cost on the descents.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I don't know where the fixie thing came from. I have no intentions of ever getting on a fixie. Fixie is nuts! :rofl: I nearly fell off the bike in spin class.

I'm not sure if it can be done, but I was thinking of 2 chainrings and two side by side cogs, both with the same combined teeth. I will run it as a SS but can manually derail the chain if I chose a hilly route. It just seems that all the non traffic routes in my area have grades over 13%. I will start with a straight up SS, and already have a 42t non-ramped ring. I'll use the sheldon brown site (I love that site) to figure out what cog from all your posts. I may start with an 18, and work down.

The frame was under my sister's deck for several years, and is in great shape. It has nice detail and hor drop outs. May need new tires, bar tape, and a longer quil stem. I'll post up pictures when done, pimped and tested.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
On sheldon brown's site, he describes a bunch of dual chainring/dual cog stuff for some gearing options...starting with a 42 x 18 for up north is probably a good bet. You will find you spin out pretty quick on the downhills but will need it for the ups

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pixy-
I'm in western morris county, about 5 miles (as the crow flies) from alamuchy and I'm running a 40 x 16 set up on my raleigh with cross tires. Mind you, I'm not doing any real big climbs but I'm still going up hill quite a bit.

ArmyOfNone

Damn. Another pimped out pixy bike. Cant wait to see what plan you unhatch. Riding a fixie is not that hard! Just dont stop pedaling!

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Pixy-
I'm in western morris county, about 5 miles (as the crow flies) from alamuchy and I'm running a 40 x 16 set up on my raleigh with cross tires. Mind you, I'm not doing any real big climbs but I'm still going up hill quite a bit.

Great, 40x16 is equiv to 42x17. ...and if you're the drunken SS hillclimb champion, the 18 may be ok for a pixy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom