What enduro or big-travel bike do you recommend?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I ride the sourlands regularly - plenty of rocks there. Never broke anything. Maybe you need to iearn to be a better rider? :shrug:
I have a customer with a Carbon Stumpjumper that he rides almost exclusively at Sourlands. He's cracked it 3 times due to rock impacts. All three times he sent the frame out to be repaired and for a few hundred dollars it has come back stronger (but heavier). He has the same bike in Alloy too. Hasn't cracked it (yet).

johnbryanpeters

I have a customer with a Carbon Stumpjumper that he rides almost exclusively at Sourlands. He's cracked it 3 times due to rock impacts. All three times he sent the frame out to be repaired and for a few hundred dollars it has come back stronger (but heavier). He has the same bike in Alloy too. Hasn't cracked it (yet).
The stronger assertion is questionable.

serviceguy

I don’t get the complaints about superboost, the same complaints were issued when boost came in and replaced non-boost. I have 3 sets of superboost wheels and a spare hub, not sure why you would consider them harder to find than any other standard. Also, for the chainline selection there’s a number of aftermarket chainring/spiders that give you plenty of options. I went with the OneUp switch system and it’s flawless (even though it hasn’t got much use lately). Personally I am partial to Knolly Fugitive, but it’s not a crowd favorite for sure.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I don’t get the complaints about superboost, the same complaints were issued when boost came in and replaced non-boost. I have 3 sets of superboost wheels and a spare hub, not sure why you would consider them harder to find than any other standard. Also, for the chainline selection there’s a number of aftermarket chainring/spiders that give you plenty of options. I went with the OneUp switch system and it’s flawless (even though it hasn’t got much use lately). Personally I am partial to Knolly Fugitive, but it’s not a crowd favorite for sure.
I would guess the difference is that you build your wheels. Superboost complete wheelsets not easily available? IDK

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would guess the difference is that you build your wheels. Superboost complete wheelsets not easily available? IDK

Yes. This. I blew my hub earlier this year and SB wheels are impossible to find.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I ride in north nj where the ice age dumped all of the rocks. Most of my rides are on trails that are just rock crawling. Tall boy, impacts to the down tube once, impact to the rear triangle a different time …. Sold it. Trek top fuel, got a stick in the shifter came around and broke the seat stay( never would have happened on an alloy frame)…. Sold it. Stump jumper….. broke the chain stays twice in the jungle 2 different times from impacts putting the bike down in the rocks, Sold it.
Carbon bikes will take a beating all day long but hit them with something and they are just plastic. My 2 year old alloy Transition Sentinel has 3 dents in it that would have cracked a carbon frame. Some people ride years with out crashing, I personally think that if you are not crashing, you are not learning….. or pushing your limits.

Have you tried using your tires to ride over obstacles?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Because when Boost started to be implemented the entire industry accepted it and built their frames for that standard. Now a boost wheelset is easier to find than non-boost wheels. Only really Pivot went with Super Boost so there's not a lot of wheels out there.

Go try to find a generic take-off wheelset that you'd want on your bike from Pinkbike/Here/Craigslist/Etc. It'll be boost.

serviceguy

Go try to find a generic take-off wheelset that you'd want on your bike from Pinkbike/Here/Craigslist/Etc. It'll be boost.
Tried that for the Honzo...did not work that well, most DT Swiss value wheelset I found on PB were mostly SB. Go figure. But I do get your explanation, more in general. I'm also all set with SB as of now so obviously I have a biased vision of the whole thing. I just don't think is that horrifying...

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe a one point there wasn’t a ton of availability of super-boost wheels and hubs but a little searching show that’s no longer the case. Pinkbike has 52 wheelsets currently listed for sale from $300 take offs to brand new 2k plus from shops around the county. A shit ton of hubs available on PB as well, built with a whatever rims/spokes you'd like. Google superboost and lots of options out there too. Ebay too. Many of the bigger online shops have plenty of options. So let’s put that (non)issue to bed.

serviceguy

Maybe a one point there wasn’t a ton of availability of super-boost wheels and hubs but a little searching show that’s no longer the case. Pinkbike has 52 wheelsets currently listed for sale from $300 take offs to brand new 2k plus from shops around the county. A shit ton of hubs available on PB as well, built with a whatever rims/spokes you'd like. Google superboost and lots of options out there too. Ebay too. Many of the bigger online shops have plenty of options. So let’s put that (non)issue to bed.
In short, superboost is still the now...

Top Bottom