What enduro or big-travel bike do you recommend?

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a 2015 Giant Reign and I'm over it. I'm miserable everytime I ride it. The geometry is so downhill oriented that I cannot climb anything on it. I find myself off the bike way too often.
So what enduro bike or big-travel (150-160mm) do you recommend? Preferably one that is fun to descend on, but doesn't kill you to climb.

jackx

I really like my Revel Rascal which has travel 130m rear / 140mm front. Revel's enduro bike is their Rail and comes in 27.5 (165/170mm), and they recently added a Rail 29er (155-160mm). Revel bikes use the Canfield Balance Formula suspension design.

Also with a 30-day trial period, you really get to decide if you want to keep it, so there should be no buyers remorse. And there is no sales tax, and mine was assembled and shipped from Colorado in an EVOC bike travel bag, instead of a cardboard box as part of Revel's commitment to sustainability.

Revel Bikes are designed and assembled in Colorado, and have a great Team and a great warranty. Pedal Montclair now sells Revel Bikes, so that is an option to see the bikes in person before purchasing.

Zack 54

I also concur with the Ibis Ripmo, I own the V2 … and it climbs and descends great at 160 front and 147 rear….. but I just recently built a Gorilla Gravity Trail Pistol with 140 front and 130 rear that is very NJ trail worthy! I find myself choosing the trail pistol more often for trail rides. GG is made in Colorado and I did opt. for the Push rear shock with greatly improved the overall handling of the bike! Good luck with your research!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really like my Revel Rascal which has travel 130m rear / 140mm front. Revel's enduro bike is their Rail and comes in 27.5 (165/170mm), and they recently added a Rail 29er (155-160mm). Revel bikes use the Canfield Balance Formula suspension design.

Also with a 30-day trial period, you really get to decide if you want to keep it, so there should be no buyers remorse. And there is no sales tax, and mine was assembled and shipped from Colorado in an EVOC bike travel bag, instead of a cardboard box as part of Revel's commitment to sustainability.

Revel Bikes are designed and assembled in Colorado, and have a great Team and a great warranty. Pedal Montclair now sells Revel Bikes, so that is an option to see the bikes in person before purchasing.

Damn this reads like an ad. Do you work for them?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This 😏
If I do decide on a big hit E this will top of the list

Gene

The Dancing Machine
I also concur with the Ibis Ripmo, I own the V2 … and it climbs and descends great at 160 front and 147 rear….. but I just recently built a Gorilla Gravity Trail Pistol with 140 front and 130 rear that is very NJ trail worthy! I find myself choosing the trail pistol more often for trail rides. GG is made in Colorado and I did opt. for the Push rear shock with greatly improved the overall handling of the bike! Good luck with your research!

Two thumbs up for the model name

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@chemgirl I have a Pivot Firebird and while its ability to climb and descend does often blown my mind....It is probably a little much for an all around, ride on trails bike. I would check one out tho and the switchblade. I also liked the Ripmo and Hightower when I tried them.

scott62

Look at Transition, ether the sentinel or spire. The sell in both plastic and alloy and their geometry is spot on unlike the xc Ripmo.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably depends on your preferred wheel size. 27.5 or 29.
If I was riding or racing Enduro. My pic would be a Orbea Rallon. I currently ride a 140 travel front and rear Orbea Occam. Your welcome to throw leg over and ride it at Cranks this Saturday.

Cassinonorth

Another vote for the Ripmo. I have no problem riding it basically anywhere, I routinely set PRs on flat or uphill sections of trail.

If I had to replace it I'd be looking at the Transition Sentinel or Rocky Mountain Altitude as well.

jvrock

I've been drinking the Switch Infinity kool-aid. Yeti SB140 if you want 27.5 or Yeti SB130 if you want a 29er. These bikes climb like nothing I've ever ridden before and are really capable on the descents.

scott62

May I suggest, look up “bikers edge” on YouTube. Some great reviews on the bikes you are looking at. They also reviewed alloy against plastic in the same model. Sentinel vs Spire….. ect. Great channel.

Turbotrix

Sc - Hightower
Pivot - switchblade
Evil - offering
Or similar 140 ish travel bikes that can do it all and the updated geometry with steeper seat tube angles will make climbing less sucky .
For me, Evil. It totally exceeded my expectations. I'm shocked at how well the Delta suspension works going up and down.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The problem with the Evil or Pivot is superboost. Superboost is a pain in the ass when it comes to replacing rear wheels or upgrading cranksets. It’s half the reason I dumped my pivot. Maybe it’s easier to find parts now but when I had it not so much.

Top Bottom