What? Emphasis on the wh...

C

Cthulhu

So I strapped my new bike to the Jeep today and took a drive over to Ramapo state forest for my first ride. About 100 feet later I was stuck next to a small waterfall and a busted chain. :hmmm:

Somehow in between downshifting and crazy the chain managed to wrap itself into a figure-8 around the crankset. I flipped the bike upside down to get a better look with hopes that I could untangle the mess, but at least one of the links is busted.

Anways, little bit of ice but the trail looked good - at least the first 100 feet.
:(

BiknBen

single speed and sausage...cant go wrong

Didn't you break a chain on one of our rides a little while back?. :rolleyes::rofl:

Maybe AoN should be saying "SS and a spare link".

Sorry to read about your bad luck. It could be worse. You could have been 10 miles out and wishing you had a thermal blanket.

Last edited:
C

Cthulhu

You never had a Cheddarwurst???? Cook 'em in beer then a quick grilling. Top them with saute'd onions and :drooling:

It's Octoberfest in my mind.

Any suggestions for a chain? I was looking at a SRAM PC-68. (keep in mind I'm as much a newbie as possible)

Frank

Sasquatch
Although I'm not familiar with that chain I can say this. Don't buy the cheapest chain, unless you like breadowns. But more importantly, no chain is indestructable especially if you like shifting during heavy pedal loads.

mwlikesbikes

That cheddarwurst is food of the gods!

As far as chains go i swear by shimano XT, lube it religiously with white lightning and it takes me wherever i want. The sram equivalent is the pc-68 i belive. 68 for 8 speed, 69 for 9 speed.

those SS guys are trying to brainwash you :whoopdedo

walter

Fourth Party
I have a KMC chain on my Mary SS, not sure of their chain selection but Chris at Halters said that my legs would snap before the chain did.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
It's Octoberfest in my mind.

Any suggestions for a chain? I was looking at a SRAM PC-68. (keep in mind I'm as much a newbie as possible)

I like SRAM chains because they have the powerlink system that lets you easily unlink the chain for cleaning and repairs.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
If you are in fact a noob, and possibly not all that experienced of a wrench, you may want to ask your LBS or a friend with some experience to fix your chain or install a new one. That may help you get farther than 100 feet on your next ride. A chink in the link can only end one way!!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Just buy a new chain. I rode KMC's on my BMX for years and you can really beat the crap out of 'em.

Top Bottom