What does every one wear when they ride

M

mike29

Hey all,
New guy here and i was just wondering what every one wears when they ride. I was think of getting some bike shorts but want to know if they are any good or not
mike

Shaggz

A strong 7
Helmet;
Impact resistant glasses;
Long Fingered Gloves;
Jersey - short/long sleeved depending on weather;
Padded Shorts (I wear cargo style, although I keep a pair of spandex ( :oops: ) ready for cooler weather (I wear these under long insulated "tights";
non-cotton socks;
biking shoes;
camel back for water, keys. wallet, tools, tubes, etc...

Try to wear stuff that is not cotton, something that will pull moisture away from your body - this will help you from overheating in warmer weather and staying warmer in cooler weather.

B

bdpeter

Welcome Mike!

I have several pairs of 'baggy' bike shorts with the typical bicycle liners. My favorite pair are some Cannondale ones that have a removable padded liner, but look like regular shorts. Quite comfortable and don't restrict movement at all. Plus there's the added bonus of not looking like a gymnast when I'm off the bike!

top it off w/a nice coolmax or non-cotton riding jersey, some long fingered gloves, a helmet (of course!) and some riding shoes and I'm good to go.

Slight thread diversion - I'm getting tired of busting up my legs/shins on some 'adventerous' XC rides in rock gardens and technical sections. Does anyone here wear armor that's usable for riding, not just DH or FR type stuff? My biggest concern is mobility and weight. I don't mind sweating a bit, but want to make sure I can still pedal. Any suggestions?

thanks

Shaggz

A strong 7
hey peter - i got a great "deal" on a set of Kona knee and shin protectors :wink: . They do not slip over the leg, but have three straps that wrap around the back of knee, calf and above-the-ankle. They are not bulky and are pretty comfortable, plus they help keep the legs warm on those 6:00 AM rides.

E

Evil

I use Lizzard skin shin pads cause I find the full knee/shin a bit restrictive for XC, they are like soccer shin guards but a bit more beefy, way comfy though.

M

MikeM

If im ridin XC in my area i wear khaki shorts, thats about it.

If im going to do anythign dangerous, I rock the helmet, t shirt and blue jeans

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i need some "pants" for the fall/winter/early spring and i REFUSE to shove my clydesdale ass into a pair of tights. i've tried the cargo pants/jeans route in the past and they get too hung up on the big ring. any suggestions?

as for now, i'm in a pair cargo style bike shorts with the liner thingy, a wicking top or two, long fingered gloves, a helmet and socks. socks are really important. oh, and a camelback for all my crap.

jake

M

MikeM

bonefishjake said:
i need some "pants" for the fall/winter/early spring and i REFUSE to shove my clydesdale ass into a pair of tights. i've tried the cargo pants/jeans route in the past and they get too hung up on the big ring. any suggestions?

as for now, i'm in a pair cargo style bike shorts with the liner thingy, a wicking top or two, long fingered gloves, a helmet and socks. socks are really important. oh, and a camelback for all my crap.

jake
take the big ring off. how often do you use it anyway?

S

scubasteve

bonefishjake said:

jake

What about getting some Under Armour cold gear and then wearing shorts over it. It's usually what i do. It works...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
actually, i think i found an answer while bored at work yesterday. i read a review on mountainzone.com about these pants made by Rail Riders (railriders.com) called weather pants. they sounded like they may fit the bill based on the review of this "gear guy" who doesn't like riding in tights either. so, on the site they have two other pairs: winter weather pants which are reinforced at the butt and knees and a bit thicker for colder weather and extreme adventure pants which (if i read correctly) are pretty much weather pants with a few more bells and whistles, most noteable and probably most applicable to mt. biking is the Cordura scuff guards inside ankles to prevent <they say crampons, i say cleats/big rings> from tearing fabric. i'm torn right now between which pair to get, but i'm definitely getting one of 'em.

Top Bottom