(What do you want to get") "Dialed In" in 2009?

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
2008 is nearly done. (What do you want to get") "Dialed In" in 2009? Last week a serious MTB talked about getting "Dialed In" to something.
Recently I heard them use the term among Skiers. What do you want to get "Dialed In" in 2009?
For me I'd like to do a winter Triathlon at the Beginning of the year, and H2H event, and at least one Sprint Tri and One Olympic Triathlon in 2009!
Train Right.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I've been meaning to get the fork on my 29er dialed (Fox F29); the rebound is much too fast right now.

Oh, and the rear Hope Mini rotor is rubbin' something bad (you hearing me TownCycleBoy!)

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
With the current weather, I'm looking forward to dialing my clock forward one hour.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
gear talk

I've been meaning to get the fork on my 29er dialed (Fox F29); the rebound is much too fast right now.
You must be used to the term "Dialed In." As the MTB'er last week used to term regarding is equipment. I don't know how to adjust the front shock/fork, but at Campmor, they recently let air out of my rear shock. This morning I weighed 160, and Campmorman set the pressure to the rear shock to 150 lbs. Also picked up the pump for rear shock to help get it "Dialed In". In skier-speek when the guy said "Dialed In"I think the announcer meant the skier was in a "Zone" or something. Also, those skiers and fancy MTB'ers talk about finding "Lines", which they may or may not do when they or their gear is"Dialed In."

ArmyOfNone

Ill give in...

I am hoping to "dial in" my technical riding skills for the next year. I am piss poor in the rocks and I am going to make it a point to train at CR and further north.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
With the current weather, I'm looking forward to dialing my clock forward one hour.

CHEERS TO THAT!!!:getsome::getsome::getsome::getsome:
At least the days will start to officially get longer today ( I think..?)

Not that i mind riding in cold, but my schedule has not been matching up with good times to ride. I'm getting very cranky. I day dream about dusty dry trails on hot days...

Back to topic, I would like to get my brakes dialed in a little. I keep meaning to drop off the bike at high gear so Mr Vreeland can take care of it... Definitely need to do that... the brake lines are like 4 inches too long.

I also need to get a picture taken of my my hifi 29er frame. I really need sell that so i can get my wallet dialed in. :rofl:

don

You must be used to the term "Dialed In." As the MTB'er last week used to term regarding is equipment. I don't know how to adjust the front shock/fork, but at Campmor, they recently let air out of my rear shock. This morning I weighed 160, and Campmorman set the pressure to the rear shock to 150 lbs. Also picked up the pump for rear shock to help get it "Dialed In". In skier-speek when the guy said "Dialed In"I think the announcer meant the skier was in a "Zone" or something. Also, thos'e skiers and fancy MTB'ers talk about finding "Lines", which they may or may not do when they or their gear is"Dialed In."

I'm not sure if you are serious or joking with the question about "Dialed In"

The word is getting used a bunch lately. Hell, I use it a lot, but I just say "dialed". i.e. "That bike, set, shit, etc is dialed" Or to discribe how good someone's got a trick: "BF had those 360 turndowns dialed."

It seemed like part of your questions was about the phrase. Here's my guess on how it's come about being used more and more...

I'm pretty sure Bob Osborn/Oz used it in writings in old BMX Action articles. He had some pretty clever sayings and I'd have to check some of my back issues to say for certain. It could have been Scot "OM" Breithaupt too. Either way, they probably bit the phrase from a moto term.

I remember a few years ago, Derrick Girard and some FBM guys starting to use it. From the stuff I've read and seen in vids Girard is a kook especially with words and I'm thinking he knew about it from being around BMX for so long.

So from BMX talk it probably went to skating, then snowboarding and now on a show about skiing. Again, purely a guess.

Now "Lines" - not sure who the fancy MTB's were. Lines are just picking a way to go thru, around, or down something. It could be on snow going thru trees and finding natural hits, at the park, on some street stuff, or even on singletrack - finding a route over some tech section or popping off a small rock near the edge of the trail. Pretty much the path you take your bike or board.

And remember... "Anything can happen when it's dialed out." -Derrick Girard, FBM Interview

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
Dialed Up....

Some folks want to "Dial In" other stuff, like there satellite radio, and or their Bank Account. Even though most everything is going digital now (even bike shifters), we still use the old analog term, "Dial".
Now "Lines" - not sure who the fancy MTB's were. Lines are just picking a way to go thru, around, or down something. It could be on snow going thru trees and finding natural hits, at the park, on some street stuff, or even on singletrack - finding a route over some tech section or popping off a small rock near the edge of the trail. Pretty much the path you take your bike or board.
This "Lines" term I heard regarding downhill MTB'ers as well as downhill skiers and the skiers that takie a helipocter up a mtn, and pray they don't cause an avalanche. They are picking there trails or "Lines", and there life depends on it. If the pick the wrong line, they may cause an avalance and not be found til spring time.

"Dial Up", this one I heard last night on a downhill ski race. The moment the announcer said the skier would dial it up, the skier missed a gate/turn and got a DNF. Careful not to "Dial it Up" too much, nobody wants to get the dreaded DNF.

Top Bottom