What do I really need?

Tempest170

Hello everyone,
New member here and I have some questions. I did a search and didn't seem to find a thread that related to my questions so I was wondering what type of equipment you would look for while searcing for a new/ used mountain bike. Currently I have a GT Palomar which I have owned for many many years. It has served me well but recently I have been going through more trails at Split Rock and Jungle Habitat and realized that I many be working with the wrong equipment. It has a front shock but thats it as far as "off-road" hardware. My friend has disc brakes which I noticed helps with all the mud puddles since I basically can't stop after I go through them. Is a rear suspension really necessary? The trails im on are very rocky for the most part but im not doing any rock climbing/ hopping, just riding over them. Also what height should I be looking for? For the record im 5'10" and about 180lbs. Thanks in advance! :D

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
If you really want to upgrade your bike and are looking for something better suited to the trails in your area, I'd suggest you go talk to a local bike shop and let them help yoou find the best option. Be totally honest with them about what kind of riding you want to do, how often you think you'll ride and the price point you have in mind. And make sure you ask them to help you find the right size. Most shops are really cool and very interested in working with you to find the right bike. A lot of the folks on here can point you to a good shop they trust (I could too,but I'm in PA so I doubt you'd want to come down to Philly to get your bike!)

Good luck!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you really want to upgrade your bike and are looking for something better suited to the trails in your area, I'd suggest you go talk to a local bike shop and let them help yoou find the best option. Be totally honest with them about what kind of riding you want to do, how often you think you'll ride and the price point you have in mind. And make sure you ask them to help you find the right size. Most shops are really cool and very interested in working with you to find the right bike. A lot of the folks on here can point you to a good shop they trust (I could too,but I'm in PA so I doubt you'd want to come down to Philly to get your bike!)

Good luck!

That's probably the best advice you'll get.

Quick and nasty:
Disc brakes rock. Get them!

A full suspension bike will allow you to go faster over rough terrain, especially downhill.
A hardtail will climb/transfer power better. Hardtail 29'ers are a pretty popular choice for around here.
There are exceptions to these but works in general.

Consider buying used, you'll often get a lot of upgraded components for less than half of a new version of the same bike.

I'm the same size as you (plus a few lbs) and we're in the middle of two sizes. A medium might feel a little more nimble but somewhat cramped. I have two large and two medium frame bikes. You'll have to try it and see.

Oh, shops.
Town Cycle is very good people and is a big part of Jungle Habitat, not too far from you.
Cycle Craft is also a good choice.
I'm going geographically, but also Marty's.

Last edited:

Tempest170

At first I was thinking of going to a local bike shop but I was leaning more towards finding a bike on craigslist since it seems many people buy expensive bikes, give up, and sell them after they sit in the garage for a few years. I found bikesdirect.com has a bunch of bikes but upon further review of their website reviews it seems that you get what you pay for and often these bikes break easily. So im thinking craigslist is the way to go. Oh and I don't have $1000+ for a new one haha.

Blair

large or 19" same thing, hardtail, 29er, disc brakes. Craigslist, lbs or this site.

disc brakes don't work when they're wet either but thats mainly if its physically raining or river crossing. Probably can't get a decent full suspension at that price point but the 29er will help smooth things out. Tubeless tires are nice also.

Top Bottom