What did you do TODAY for your fitness?

walter

Fourth Party
Dnap and myself rode the dusty flat lands of 6 Mile. Extremely dry, as in no water running under the bridges dry. Special guest appearance by Johnee Oxford. Also, the big green Ventana tandem was there, hopefully they will report in on their ride.

Dr Superb

Dnap and myself rode the dusty flat lands of 6 Mile. Extremely dry, as in no water running under the bridges dry. Special guest appearance by Johnee Oxford. Also, the big green Ventana tandem was there, hopefully they will report in on their ride.

i was there as well on a black trek, blue shirt. I saw the tandem as well, there were 3 of them in a group...

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Not sure if anyone follows this eating stuff, but FWIW:

After a disappointing result from my 12 day gluten-free attempt, I have been advised it takes 4 weeks to make the adjustment. So, I do not think that is anything I want to mess around with now.

Kinda by accident, but also as recommended by my massage therapist, I have been yeast-free (no risen bread) for over a week, and I feel pretty good energy wise. I still eat wraps, home made waffles and pasta mixed in with rice, oatmeal, protein source and fruits and vegetables. I had no stomach cramps in last Sunday's race and went pretty hard (167- 174 bpm) at the start. I have had several rides with intervals and had no issues. I know this only a week, but I hope this works, as it gives me variety and I don't feel like I am missing anything in my diet.

Here is the last week:

Thur - 3.5 hr hilly ATB
Fri - rest
Sat - 12m light roadride 17.2 mph
Sun - 1.25 hr warm up / 2.45 hr race
Mon - rest
Tues - 1.5 hr ATB
Wed - 20m roadride with intervals 17 mph

Some shots from the last week:

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 129
  • lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 131
  • leaves.jpg
    leaves.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 118
  • mushrooms.jpg
    mushrooms.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 125

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Ellen,
When I went gluten free, I saw improvement almost overnight. Have they checked you for a dairy issue also.

I don't eat much dairy, but that may be my next experiment if this does not work. I was under the impression that dairy causes bloating and gas, not high heart rate induced cramps.

Over the past 3 weeks I have switched from whey to soy in my recovery drink. It is said to be less effective, but I thought it was worth a try. I suppose I shouldn't have done them at the same time:rolleyes:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Glad to hear you're doing better Ellen. I hope whatever changes you've made continues to work for you.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Another 10 days and my stomach has been pretty good for the most part. I think cross will be the real test when I need to turn my self inside out for 40 minutes. So, we'll see.

I was really tired all week after the Jungle Habitat race, so I had a light week:

Mon: off
Tues: 18 m. roadride 15.3 mph
Wed: 1.5 hr ATB
Thurs: 1.5 hr ATB
Fri: off
Sat: 47 m. Tandem 17.8 mph
Sun: 3 hr ATB

Saturday's tandem ride was really nice. I rode with some friends out by Kittatinny/Andover on some really nice roads. I do not have a gps, but we looped around Allamuchy onto Shades of Death Rd and up to Stillwater. Then past the snowmobile museum, up Phil Harden back to Kittatinny. There were some great momentum sections and a few spirited chase downs, all fun on a tandem. Some pictures at the start:

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 125
  • sky.jpg
    sky.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 126
  • field.jpg
    field.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 122

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
After Jungle I too felt the need to take some time off. I was off the bike for 3 days, I needed the rest but it felt good to get back on the bike.

Thursday
68 mile road ride, 18mph avg. out towards pottersville/fairmount rd. This was my first time up fairmount rd, its not the biggest climb in terms of elevation but it is a long climb. Definitely a good training ride.

Friday
Easy spin for 30 min. around the block, staying loose for the weekend.

Saturday
Met Grateful Rider and Robson at Ringood to do the race course. We did 2 laps of the course but we had more fun on skylands and warm puppy, saw Steve336 and his brother here as well. I think we ended up doing close to 3hrs.

Sunday
50 mile road ride, 20mph avg. I didn't think i'd have much in the tank when I started to warm up. I wanted to mix it up a little so I decided to push myself for 30 min than go at a moderate pace for 30 than push for 30 and so on. Even when I pushed the pace my HR would not climb much above 150, which indicates to me that I have not fully recovered from yesterday's ride. However I was still able to put out some power. This is where a power meter would be helpful. I find in general that my mph avg is going up despite my heart rate not being as responsive on some days. With less than 10 miles to go I saw that the 20mph avg. was attainable so I pushed myself in the last 30min. to hit this number. There is something about the magical 20mph avg. that gives me a woody.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Good rides Iggy! It sounds like using HR and mph together works pretty well to gauge improvement. I use that system too, as I do not have a meter either.

I always wonder for myself how much of the improvement is from learning to be more efficient. The meter would give me numbers for sure, but it is an expensive upgrade. Mountain bike racing is a little more than just numbers IMO. For instance, a racers numbers may tell them to go harder, but if that causes them to crash or flat, it is not helping them all that much. They may need to develop some other standards of their own for the existing conditions of the day.

Good luck at the Ringwood race!

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Last week ended up being a really light week for me. I did not have much energy and wanted to get going on making a switch over to cross anyway. I did a practice on Wednesday, which was good in terms of handling, but I did have stomach issues from going hard too soon. It was a bit discouraging and I decided not to set my expectations too high this year. It was also a good reminder to be strict with a long warm up before each race, since they are rather short and very intense.

My week:
Mon: 1.5 hr easy ATB
Tues: 21 mile Tandem road 19 mph (let mr pixy do most the work)
Wed: 1 hr cross practice / 2 hr hike with my Mom in the morning
Thurs: rest
Fri: rest
Sat: 1.5 hr warm up / 40 min race
Sun: 1 hr warm up / 40 min race

Granogue: I had 17-18 pre-registered in 45+, which is awesome to see. We got to get these women out mountain biking. I had to line up in the 3rd row behind women who could not hold a line out of the start, and juniors boys weaving in and out. It is pretty intense at the start, and I forgot how exciting that is. My races went really well with little to no stomach issues and I went really hard. I was able to dice it up with a bunch of fast ladies. It felt good to chase and cough up my lung afterwards. I finished top 5 both days, which is great for me. The courses both days were really fun, and probably the best few days of training I have had in awhile.

pictures:
1. getting to the race before the sun came up so I could warm up.
2. mtbnj's "kush" lining up for his start ... 2nd place that day
3. crazy spectators
4. racing through a pumpkin patch on an estate
5. lead pro climbing up to rescue Rapunzel from the tower

Attachments

• sunrise.jpg
    sunrise.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Ilya.jpg
    Ilya.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 154
  • crazy.jpg
    crazy.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 136
  • pumpkin.jpg
    pumpkin.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 172
  • rapunzel.jpg
    rapunzel.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 157

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
With the nice weather, I have been out on the mountain bike for the last three days and it has been real nice. I took 2 weeks off mountain and have not been up to Ringwood in 3 weeks, so it really felt good to get out this week. This time of year can get a little depressing when we turn the clocks back and adjust to winter schedules. Today was a #10 a Waway: Leaves down, dragonflies, seeds and mating newts.

Attachments

• dragonflies.jpg
    dragonflies.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 115
  • seeds.jpg
    seeds.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 152
  • swamp.jpg
    swamp.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 129
  • view.jpg
    view.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 128

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
With the MAC series done, and I am sitting home with a cold, too tired to do much, so I finally wanted to put up my Mac series end race report from Whitmore’s Super Cup:

I know Myles had to throw this venue together quickly, so all I will say about the course is that he did good with what he had, but it was a disappointment from last years in South Hampton. Both days were quite short, flat and not technical, with Sunday only slightly more flowing.

Saturday I did not start strong and ended up in the back of the train in the opening chase. I really struggled with my breathing, and could not pass anyone until the stairs where I passed my first few. I never thought I was much of a runner, but my stair practice must be paying off, as this year it seems to be my strength. After settling in on the first few laps, I was able to work my way up to 2nd, but was doubtful of holding off the woman behind me. The leader was way off the front and out of sight, so that did not help either. I was hurting pretty bad at that point and wanted to back off in the worst way. I then caught a blink of Mike Patrick’s girlfriend cheering for me out on the course and decided to dig deeper in honor of Mike for a lap. When putting it into context, 30 minutes of suffering seemed like small change compared to anyone's fight with cancer. I did hold my place for second.

Sunday I got off to a way better start. Not that I wanted to, but I led off. On the first run through the barriers, I accidentally unclipped my shoe. I eventually slowed on a flat section to re-clip it when yesterday’s leader passed me. Trying my best to hang on, but also got a chance to see where she was stronger than me. I passed her on the first run up the stairs, she passed me back on the long pavement, and I passed her on the stairs next lap. I used simple logic and pressed harder where she was strong, and just held my own where I was strong. I managed to hold her off by just 11 seconds for the win. Both days my lungs were killing me. I am now sick, so that was probably why.

I really like the intensity of cross racing and how it makes me feel more competitive. I have been racing a long time on the mountain bike, and I can get complacent. Racing the Mac series 45+ class has been great to re-kindle my competitive edge. It has been just deep enough for me to feel challenged yet competitive. On top of that, cross has helped make me better at off cambers, cornering, running and fast starts. It seems to be a good all around diversion from my normal. Not sure if I will ever make it to Cat 2, but it helps me stay on the bike in the off season.

As for the Mac series, it seems to attract large fields of really nice women. I hope to get out and do some more next year, and would love to check out National Championships.

Top Bottom