What Bird Did You See Today?

one piece crank

Last week I saw a pair of birds flying pretty high up, cutting and diving, too far away to ID yet certainly not the usual suspects around here. This morning I figured it out,
View attachment 94579

Juvenile Peregrine Falcon in the back yard.

I'm second-guessing my ID. I think it's a Cooper's Hawk. That 'little bit of a grey cap' and 'optimism' initially said Peregrine, but the absence of sideburns and the coloration/pattern is more in line with a Cooper's.

Kaleidopete

I've had my GF pond for two years and I spotted a heron for the first time this morning.
Think it was a great blue, even though I have a heron net it will try to get my fish and be back soon.
Going to put a motion sensor cam to alert me when it returns so that I can audibly try to scare it away.
Anyone know if they are active at night?
View attachment 94800

I saw this guy this morning, should I tell him where you live?

Dsc02475.jpg

one piece crank

Anyone know if they are active at night?

Generally no, unless that is the only time their main food source is available. So, doubtful your pond is their main source. Near me, there are two very large Herons I can see every day. One flies West every AM and East every PM, the other flies Northeast/AM and Souteast/PM - I call it the commute.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
FOY Baltimore Oriole this morning. Such an awesome bird
Kingbird
Swamp Sparrow too

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
While at Stewart last week and today at work I spotted the House Wren. This guy is really chatty this time of year, his song let's us know it's spring.
View attachment 95294
Also destructive to blue birds and other housing birds as they constantly build nest on top of others nest. They are hoarders as they dont use these but will fill a nest box within hours of twigs.

Top Bottom