What Bird Did You See Today?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
didnt get to see it, but i heard an owl this morning while walking the dog . . . first time iv gotten any evidence around here

serviceguy

Tufted Titmouse and Cardinals are now semi-permanent residents in my front yard, while starting in spring we get robins, blue jays and woodpeckers.

I need to buy a bird-feeder to make it official, even though I'm afraid squirrels will get the most of it!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tufted Titmouse and Cardinals are now semi-permanent residents in my front yard, while starting in spring we get robins, blue jays and woodpeckers.

I need to buy a bird-feeder to make it official, even though I'm afraid squirrels will get the most of it!
Safflower seed feeder
Thistle seed feeder
Peanut in shell feeder
Equals zero squirrels and many types of birds
That's it...

one piece crank

For the past 18 years we have never had Blue Jays - until they showed up in numbers last Summer. They've been here all Winter too.

Believe it or not, I saw two Robins yesterday. I did a double take, and strained to get a little closer - but yes, Robins. So much for any more snow riding...

rick81721

Lothar
Still on the lookout for the illusive and beautiful roseate spoonbill. Will post a pic when I see one. Forgot to mention I saw a pair of green parrots while on a mtb with Bob ride 2 weeks ago. Too far away to get a decent pic but apparently these "invasive" birds are common around here.

Kaleidopete

For the past 18 years we have never had Blue Jays - until they showed up in numbers last Summer. They've been here all Winter too.

Believe it or not, I saw two Robins yesterday. I did a double take, and strained to get a little closer - but yes, Robins. So much for any more snow riding...
we have Robins year round here. I see them every day at Wayway.

serviceguy

I know, kind of cheating, but we put a bird feeder up today...tufted titmouse is the best customer, the cardinals keep staring at it from like 1 foot, made an attempt but could not feed from it...wtf?

Attachments

• D239E7B8-1305-4407-9648-83F2F45C4544.jpeg
    D239E7B8-1305-4407-9648-83F2F45C4544.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 14

serviceguy

Black-capped chickadee
0534DD64-919D-4B55-B0A6-1597DA400929.jpeg

Dark-eyed junco
86630D77-90FB-4D5E-BFCF-EDC7E24AB02D.jpeg

Both are stock pictures but these guys are also hangin around the feeder, tiny little pistols they are. Waiting for the hold Finch to show up, are they seasonal?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Black-capped chickadee
View attachment 88184

Dark-eyed junco
View attachment 88185

Both are stock pictures but these guys are also hangin around the feeder, tiny little pistols they are. Waiting for the hold Finch to show up, are they seasonal?
I hear the chicadees when I'm mtbing, there call stands out more in the winter when not many other birds are around.
Gold finches are around but they not bright yellow in winter, there kind of a muted grayish yellow. I think some migrate but some stay as well.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
While xc skiing a local golf course yesterday, I came upon a secluded pond and found several pair of Hooded Merganser's.
The males look similiar to Bufflehead, however the white peak is more prominent on Merganser and this area is colapsable, making it's white peak less noticeable. One male had his white head down, while the other displayed his. The other ID marker was the female, they have cinnamon tones on there head.
Male raised head.
63910041-480px.jpg

Male lowered head, with females.
63910051-480px.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
know NJ has lots of them, but this is only maybe the 2-3 I've ever seen and funny to see it walking around the neighborhood
They always seemed lost to me. Maybe because they are stocked in WMA's for hunting and usually not native.

Top Bottom