What Bird Did You See Today?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm amazed at how different birds make different nests.

I was delighted to see a Baltimore Oriole nest in my back yard 2 yrs ago, sadly they only stayed one season. I found the nest on the ground today in my yard. It's a smart little clutch made of synthetic as well as organic fibers. It's remarkable how functional it still is to hold objects given the fact that it's been outdoors for two years and is so light and delicate.

IMG_20210606_161827~2.jpg

thegock

This morning I saw a mallard sized Pileated Woodpecker 8 feet left of some local ST. Very skittish species. He flew 20 yards to the right, then quickly further off. Never had one that close by before. This is a picture a friend of mine took about a mile away from the ST last year:

PILE 8TED 151141715761518920.jpg

ekuhn

Shittin Freedom All over the Land!

15-20ft away on the towpath. Just North of Kingston Did a double take as I went by. Tried to get more photos but it took off as I got off my bike. Maybe it came down from High Bridge?

Doesn't get any more American than seeing a Bald Eagle on the 4th!

171519E5-78DB-4017-B032-18E5170EE3BF.jpg

FastFreddy

Sorry for the crappy pic had to zoom all the way in, saw this guy sitting on top of my banks drive through. He was being harassed by five or six sparrows he was probably almost two feet tall and didn't even flinch at them, they looked like flies buzzing around him LOL

IMG_20210722_121125.jpg

iman29

Was walking the dog the other day and heard the familiar caw of a Hawk. Then the dog flinches and I look up and this thing swoops into a tree right above me. It stayed there long enough for me to get my phone out and zoom in.

I thought it was raiding some other kind of nest up there because I heard birds squawking but the nest looked too small for a Hawk. I got 2 pics and then it flew off man those things are much bigger than they look when flying.

0ED0047F-4F6B-4AB3-9423-3537BD749DF4.jpeg

serviceguy

Was walking the dog the other day and heard the familiar caw of a Hawk. Then the dog flinches and I look up and this thing swoops into a tree right above me. It stayed there long enough for me to get my phone out and zoom in.

I thought it was raiding some other kind of nest up there because I heard birds squawking but the nest looked too small for a Hawk. I got 2 pics and then it flew off man those things are much bigger than they look when flying.

View attachment 163711
You sure it’s not a chupacabra?!?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Short story long, ran across this little guy on the kerb by a local office plaza. There was a dead goldfinch ten feet away so apparently it’s a navigational hazard. The hummingbird was still moving so I thought at least move him into the shade, then called my wife to bring a box so I could get it home and try and take care of it. Soon enough tho it perked up on its own and flew off to perch in a tree nearby. Good enough for me.
36FE2B7C-D62B-4A4E-B686-FC5C7F175414.jpeg

ekuhn

Short story long, ran across this little guy on the kerb by a local office plaza. There was a dead goldfinch ten feet away so apparently it’s a navigational hazard. The hummingbird was still moving so I thought at least move him into the shade, then called my wife to bring a box so I could get it home and try and take care of it. Soon enough tho it perked up on its own and flew off to perch in a tree nearby. Good enough for me.
View attachment 167490
I work next to a school with a ton of glass windows. The birds cant see the glass so they occasionally fly right into it at full speed. The sidewalk gets a few dead ones a week.

The bird recovery effort is applauded!

notcho

Heard a red-tailed hawk screech, looked up, and all of a sudden it comes flying out of trees being chased by a huge bald eagle. The eagle circled the house a few times before flying away. Not bad for backyard entertainment.

878642BE-0F75-4B08-A6AA-263BC5EDEBDB.jpeg

Top Bottom