What bike for Creek

xrjx

those of you who ride creek - what type of bike do you ride there? I haven't been and I'm trying to figure out if my mid travel trail bike will be enough to survive and actually have fun for at least one visit before i decide if I buy a more appropriate bike. While I'm sure the consensus will be that you can do it but it won't be great - I'm also curious if most have a dedicated DH rig for creek, or an enduro/all mountain bike that's somewhat more versatile

bergsnj

you'll be ok on your trail bike and probably have a great time. Obviously a DH bike is the best tool for the job especially if you are going to be taking the bigger drops but there is plenty of flowy stuff and blue rocky trails that a trail bike can deal with. I took my old 140mm travel trail bike there once and had a blast. Typically i ride a yeti SB150 there now and also used to take an SB5.5. Both of those were/are my everyday trail bikes

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i take my 5010 there (130 travel) and i'm ok.

but if it's your first time, rent a DH bike and get the full experience.

Last edited:

BPaze

I am a fool that took my Kona Big Honzo hardtail with 130mm fork and yea it wasn't the right bike for the job, but had an amazing time and went back and plan to continue to go with it until I get a FS. I didn't do any of the hard tech trails and that is fine, but would. The worst part honestly was the break bumps, not the jumps or drops I attempted.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thought about that too - are the rental bikes at this point in the season beaten beyond recognition?
The bikes are in decent shape for the most part, but the tires are usually pretty worn. What’s your skill level? If you aren’t sending big drops or smashing black tech trails your trail bike will be fine, unless you just want the DH bike experience. Also, geometry it’s more important than the amount of travel you have.

Reactions: don

02camaro

i wouldnt rent a bike if you already have a good trail bike. riding a bike that you feel confident on will lead to a safer and more fun ride. that being said ive only ridden trail/enduro bikes there, never a dh bike. you will be fine with a 130mm trail bike. you dont need huge travel until you start hitting trails with serious speed.

Johnny Utah

I rode a V10 there for years (full blown Santa Cruz DH rig). After a five year hiatus I took my 150/140 Santa Cruz Hightower there and had a blast. If you stay to the right of the lift (while going up) you are going to have a blast. The rocky trails on the left side of the mountain is where the DH bike comes into play IMHO. Have fun!

Captain Brainstorm

I would rent a bike if I were you, or borrow a friends DH bike. I got tired of roasting my own brakes, shredding my own tires, and tweaking my own wheels at Creek. Its loose and rocky there since its been so dry, especially if you decide to ride to the left side of the lift as Utah mentions, and I recommend riding the left side of the lift. The trails are great, and the traffic on that side is low.

An additional benefit of renting is that it mentally frees you from the worry of breaking your own gear, so all of your mental focus can be devoted to staying upright and having a good time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I went for the first time a few weeks ago, with my son. I rode my 140/130 5010 and he rented a DH bike. We rode all the green and blue flow and some of the blue and and black tech. I am also no stranger to drop and such, so it is kinda feels like home to me. On the flow trails I never felt like I needed more travel. minus the braking bump being stupid and sometimes in the wide open field / fast sections , I was feeling the less than a DH bike geo. For the tech trails,, more travel more better.

The rental bike was in ok condition, but the rear tire was basically bald. It was super dry when we went and his back end was getting loose because of the tire but it wasn't like he couldnt ride it.

sundaydoug

I also see most people riding dh bikes WELL under their potential and only down green/trails.

Fixed it for you.

To the OP, it depends on what kind of trail bike you're riding. Current 140mm-160mm travel full-suspension bikes are surprisingly capable and would be fine riding a good majority of the trails at MCBP. The exceptions being really steep spots where the geometry wouldn't be ideal or the higher-speed technical trails where both the geometry and suspension limits would be in play. But, most of the park is totally rideable on a trailbike. Plus you're already comfortable on your own bike, so there's that.

While a DH bike isn't ideal for the smoother green trails, the geometry and suspension travel give you quite a bit more room for error when compared with a trailbike. It's overkill for some of the lighter, flatter trails up there, but overall it's the better tool for the job.

If you do want to rent a DH bike, I'd recommend making sure you get one that has some decent tread on the tires. As someone else mentioned the rentals can get beat up at this point. Tires are one of the most, if not the most important components on a bike. Especially for bike-park riding, especially if it's very wet or very dusty. Some days you'll luck out and get goldilocks trail conditions, but 80% of the time up there it's either really wet or really dry and dusty.

Here are a few tips for your first trip to MCBP:

- start slow and go easy for a few runs
- stay loose
- have fun
- know when to call it a day

Last edited:

Rob Munro

100% rent. you can ride anything you want, its not like you'll die on a 140MM trail bike. but a lot of the fun of DH is also experiencing what a true DH bike can handle. riding a DH bike is a fun experience all on its own. it will also encourage you to try a few more things that you would otherwise ride around. think of it this way..."I'm playing in a softball league. will my wooden bat be OK?" "I signed up to drive a lap at a NASCAR track...will my CRV be OK?" you get the point.

Top Bottom