What Bike at CR?

Bikeworks

No line necessary with enough tire and suspension. Just go.

Going up is another story. Full turbo mode and pray you make it all the way cause your not catching that 50lb. bike if you don't.
I know you're right, obviously. But getting hung up on that root is stuck in my head lol.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
If you guys like the tech obstacles at CR make sure to make a weekend trip to the Frederick Watershed. No, not looking for friends but after riding here for a couple years now it's definitely the #1 trail system I have ridden as far as tech, terrain and layout. I'm not talking mountain views or seeing the Grand Canyon. I'm talking about technical, as well as flow trails that will keep you on your toes and smiling. Unfortunately the marathon nats course barely touched any of the good stuff.

hls811

No line necessary with enough tire and suspension. Just go.

Going up is another story. Full turbo mode and pray you make it all the way cause your not catching that 50lb. bike if you don't.
Its a 100% mental thing for me now. I went back a year later and tried it again - and fell (injury free).. then one more time and did it successfully... But every time I ride by now, I just have no interested in trying, I just go around.

I have tried going up.. full speed into it and the best I can get is the front tire up but can't get enough pop to get the rest of me up. 😆

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
What @jShort said. I tried the high position, this after coming off an XL Epic HT (the EE is an L), and I felt like I was going to get launched over the bars on every descent. I also had some oversteer as well. I have 175 cranks (ported from the HT) and I don't have too many hits, I've adapted.
I think all flip chip bikes feel like this. My old top fuel rsl was almost unrideable in the high position.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I've been in CR on a bunch. Ridgid SS, short travel HT, 26r fs, fs 27.5, CX bike, fattie. I'm not fast but like tech (journeyman)

It isn't the bike that prevents an OTB, or a washout, or catching a pedal. It is experience. Best thing is watching someone. Line, body position, speed. Mighty even be seeing that it is rideable.

That being said, get a fatbike. 😄
So very true. The reason I did ok atRattling on no fitness was riding tech all winter. I still get my ass handed to me locally though. Some rock bridges I have a hard time conquering mentally. I know they are easy, I have good fitness yet I see slow, fat guys ride it with ease.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I'm toying with adding an XC to my N+1 arsenal and Chimney Rock is my home trails. I have an Enduro and an all-mountain e-bike both which I mix up riding at CR.

To me, the chunkiest part of CR is Lemon Twist on Yellow and Lo-Tech and Hi-Tech green. I've ridden a fat tire bike there (slowly), I just don't know if those balloon wheels are better or worse than the 60mm rear travel on the XC bike. Would I end up avoiding these spots on an XC or tightening the death grip and just hoping to not break anything (on the bike).

And.. I hadn't heard about the broken collarbone person but I broke a rib attempting that drop through the chain link fence 2 years ago. And I can't even say I was cool and attempting it as a drop, The first time I tried rolling it (too slow), I hit one of the roots square and went OTB, into the bushes at the base and landed right on a rock. To this day I still go just past there and make the next right to take the scenic way down. :)
Wouldn't granola be one of the chunkier sections?

hls811

If you come out of white and cross the bridge and then go up yellow(left at the split then towards Miller Lane). Granola start going right at the fairway towards the top of that climb to Miller Lane. https://strava.app.link/kMdknH9WwBb
Ahhh, ok! I have taken that, although its been a while.. - I typically go straight at that intersection up to Miller, hit green and then Lemon Twist down. Yes.. Granola is up there for chunkiness.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
To me, Chimney Rock is a middle ground "any bike will do" kinda park and you can build your own adventure. Short travel full suspension would be my ideal bike though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions