What are you watching now?

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Are we allowed to talk about what a flaming dumpster fire Book of Boba Fett is?
Holy hell this is unwatchable. Lazy writing, bad effects, and borrowing from every plot line in cinema history. I don't understand the worship for it just because it's star wars. I hoped it would get better after the first episode but they decided to push the lit dumpster down a hill lined with gasoline.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Holy hell this is unwatchable. Lazy writing, bad effects, and borrowing from every plot line in cinema history. I don't understand the worship for it just because it's star wars.
In a way, doesn't this kind of define every single Star Wars movie after Empire, though? They're not exactly subtle works of art, are they? I think the problem with this series may be that it comes on the heels of the one Star Wars story that seemed to really depart from that overly simplistic (and often poorly acted) good vs. evil trope - The Mandalorian. Without giving away any of the plot, can you imagine any prior character in the Star Wars universe being written quite like Bill Burr's Mayfeld? I can't because Star Wars never really did "subtle" or "gray area" before, did they? And it kind of feels like The Book of Boba Fett is just a step backward, at least so far. It's a shame because there really is a ton of potential there - a story about a crime boss on a more or less lawless and isolated planet could be pretty great. But where do they go with it? Teen gang ... *sigh* ...

Bikeworks

In a way, doesn't this kind of define every single Star Wars movie after Empire, though? They're not exactly subtle works of art, are they? I think the problem with this series may be that it comes on the heels of the one Star Wars story that seemed to really depart from that overly simplistic (and often poorly acted) good vs. evil trope - The Mandalorian. Without giving away any of the plot, can you imagine any prior character in the Star Wars universe being written quite like Bill Burr's Mayfeld? I can't because Star Wars never really did "subtle" or "gray area" before, did they? And it kind of feels like The Book of Boba Fett is just a step backward, at least so far. It's a shame because there really is a ton of potential there - a story about a crime boss on a more or less lawless and isolated planet could be pretty great. But where do they go with it? Teen gang ... *sigh* ...
Yup, agree with this. I'm a Star Trek fan first, but having grown up when Star Wars first came out, it always had a spot in my heart. But I have zero interest in anything since the prequel/sequel movies, they're just not compelling. Now Battlestar Galactica on the other hand...

one piece crank

Only if you limit yourself to the original films. The SW universe is considerably larger than those, even if you expand it to contain 1-6. There is so much lore now presented on-screen in live action that a SW-series-in-question isn't the reward, it's actually all the buried nuggets contained within! Still the Fett series is bordering on the CW for me.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Now Battlestar Galactica on the other hand...
A fantastic series that kinda flubbed the landing a bit. But I don't think it's as bad as the reaction at the time would have led you to believe. I like what they actually did with it, I just think they could have handled it a bit better. But as for that, I can't say what that would have looked like so I can't be too critical. It is, to this day, along with The Wire the one show I truly binged in a really short period of time given how many seasons it was on. I think I may have watched like three eppisodes at a time on multiple occasions.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Only if you limit yourself to the original films. The SW universe is considerably larger than those, even if you expand it to contain 1-6. There is so much lore now presented on-screen in live action that a SW-series-in-question isn't the reward, it's actually all the buried nuggets contained within! Still the Fett series is bordering on the CW for me.
There is just so much potential to work with yet they pigeon hole themselves with nonsense. Boba Fett had barely any screen time in the original trilogy yet there is so much you can do with this character but they made a Dances with wolves/avatar/dune/ knock off that falls short.
This whole thing of, let's throw a bone to the fans, is driving me crazy and is just pandering. They've done it in Star Wars, they ruined Wheel of Time for me in the same manner. Soooooooo much source material to work with but these writers think they can do better then the original author and they'll throw in some phrasing or action that only fans would catch and that's supposed to placate us. Not only placate but we're just supposed to be grateful that there is a visual medium and simply take it, thus excusing horrible writing, plot holes so big I could drive a dump truck through it blindfolded, or just lack of originality. I realize I am getting upset at a fictional TV show so I'll digress but there is way too much talent in these companies to release this drivel.

Bikeworks

A fantastic series that kinda flubbed the landing a bit. But I don't think it's as bad as the reaction at the time would have led you to believe. I like what they actually did with it, I just think they could have handled it a bit better. But as for that, I can't say what that would have looked like so I can't be too critical. It is, to this day, along with The Wire the one show I truly binged in a really short period of time given how many seasons it was on. I think I may have watched like three eppisodes at a time on multiple occasions.
Yea, I can't disagree with you here, and I'm unapologetic about my affection for the series. Some of that needs to be blamed on the writer's strike at the time. I have to believe it would have been a bit tighter of a series finale if that had not occurred. There are scenes that still give me chills, even after having seen them multiple times. That Olmos, and worse, McDonnell, never received serious Emmy consideration is a travesty.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I like 1&2, but 3 was horrible
I thought 1 was so bad it was meant to be tongue in cheek for a bit. Fucking 35 years we believe he's dead and they spend 2 minutes on him climbing out of the sarlaac pit. 2 minutes. And he just crawls out! What the holy hell. Robert rodriguez should be banned from directing unless someone is handing him a tarantino or frank miller script. Also I know they'll have a character arc but there's literally nothing to give a shit about. The entire premise sucks. Hes not a savior or a badass. And if they get to one or both of those in the future, great, but where's the intrigue now? Why do I care? They fumbled the ball so badly with this show it makes the han solo movie look inspired.

one piece crank

I thought 1 was so bad it was meant to be tongue in cheek for a bit. Fucking 35 years we believe he's dead and they spend 2 minutes on him climbing out of the sarlaac pit. 2 minutes. And he just crawls out! What the holy hell. Robert rodriguez should be banned from directing unless someone is handing him a tarantino or frank miller script. Also I know they'll have a character arc but there's literally nothing to give a shit about. The entire premise sucks. Hes not a savior or a badass. And if they get to one or both of those in the future, great, but where's the intrigue now? Why do I care? They fumbled the ball so badly with this show it makes the han solo movie look inspired.
Boba Fett is one of the most popular characters from the original trilogy, despite minimal screen time. So there is some Disney-pandering to the masses there.

I still think the Han Solo movie was great, and very well cast.

:shrug:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Boba Fett is one of the most popular characters from the original trilogy, despite minimal screen time. So there is some Disney-pandering to the masses there.

I still think the Han Solo movie was great, and very well cast.

:shrug:
Solo was a great popcorn flik. Solid but not great action movie. No issues with the cast at all. I'm a writing guy -- story has to be solid. Boba fett has no point and no inherent drama and so its terrible even before we touch on sfx and acting. Think about how you felt after ep1 of the mandalorian. So much to care about and wonder about. There's zero of that in boba. If disney had to pander I can come up with 3 premises in 5 minutes that are better than a mob boss unhappy he's not getting kickbacks.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I been binging The Path on hulu. I'm 10E in and I'm still not sure if I like it. They hit the mark with brilliant episode endings to pull you back. Jesse from BB is the lead guy so his acting doesn't suck. Anyone else been here?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Finished After Life
Netflix - 3 seasons / 18 episodes

Same cadence as Ted Lasso - uses a Widower as the main character.
Lots of Brit stuff (cause British) with the life lessons wrapped in crass dialog at times.
Good date night stuff. Starts off kinda dark, but picks up.

Rewatching Season 3 of Dark
Only while i'm on the trainer.
It doesn't make the time go by any faster, but Martha rides a bike.

1642852799322.png

Top Bottom