What are some places to ride not to far into PA

krink

Eddie Munster
In addition to what's already been mentioned, here are a few more options not far from NJ:

Wissahickon, Philadelphia (about 30 minutes into PA from NJ via PA Turnpike): Multiple options for rides of 10-30 miles of trail mixing tech and flowy wide singletrack with about 100 feet elevation per mile. This is a destination spot in the region.

Blue Marsh Lake, NW of Reading, PA (about 45 minutes into PA from NJ via Route 78 to Route 222): Single 30 mile loop around a man-made lake. Very flowy and fast, but a few challenging climbs and about 4K elevation for the loop overall. It's a commitment, though, as the loop doesn't really have any cutoffs that don't leave the park and force you to double back on roads you wouldn't know. So once you start this loop, you're committed to a 30 mile day for the most part. Blue Marsh is one of my personal favorite places to ride, but it can be very messy when it's wet. (Just in case you want to stay overnight: No camping here that I'm aware of.)
I also love both of these above trails, Wissahickon is the most fun all-around location in Pa within a few hours of NJ. Think of it as White Clay with real hills.

Blue Marsh Lake trail is a lake circumnavigation of between 28-31 miles depending on detours. It has been a bellweather of mine to check on my fitness level for 25 years. Singletrack sections but also miles of fire road and abandoned pavement. Its a challenging ride, and as 1speed said above, once youve committed, theres no going back.

There are a few other lesser known places that I think are really underrated

Governor Dick Park, Mt. Gretna Pa,
This is a technical trail system near Hershey, 2 hrs from the jersey shore. It has elevation and a few seriously techy trails. Trail 15 has been a personal challenge of mine for 15 years and I still havent cleaned it without dabbing. The park connects into multiple state game lands and rideable doubletrack along the horseshoe trail for miles surrounding.

Rattling Creek, Lykens Pa.
This is an IMBA epic ride that few have seem to actually ridden. This is less rocky than Moosic, less techy than Gov. Dick, but is 17 miles of high country Pa fun. there is a fat tire festival out there every year (been off the last few and just restarted) that is awesome with food, beer and days of riding.

Ohiopyle Pa
This is a relatively new trail system just south of Ohiopyle Pa. The town of Ohiopyle is an outdoorsperson dream. whitewater rafting, kayaking, gravel biking along the great allegheny passage and previous mountain biking in nearby WV at Coopers Rock and Big bear. They have stitched together a 11 mile route that has 1k of climbing and 6k of descending. Pedal up for a helluva workout or get a shuttle up from one of the many outfitters in town.

Moraine State Park, Butler Co, Pa
This is a terminal moraine from the last ice age with all the house-sized boulders you could ask for. It is as challenging as Jungle Habitat in a more remote location without abandoned zoo paraphernalia. Its a full day blast to crank those rocks and have the place to yourself. - be careful though, there are bears.

johnbryanpeters

I also love both of these above trails, Wissahickon is the most fun all-around location in Pa within a few hours of NJ. Think of it as White Clay with real hills.

Blue Marsh Lake trail is a lake circumnavigation of between 28-31 miles depending on detours. It has been a bellweather of mine to check on my fitness level for 25 years. Singletrack sections but also miles of fire road and abandoned pavement. Its a challenging ride, and as 1speed said above, once youve committed, theres no going back.

There are a few other lesser known places that I think are really underrated

Governor Dick Park, Mt. Gretna Pa,
This is a technical trail system near Hershey, 2 hrs from the jersey shore. It has elevation and a few seriously techy trails. Trail 15 has been a personal challenge of mine for 15 years and I still havent cleaned it without dabbing. The park connects into multiple state game lands and rideable doubletrack along the horseshoe trail for miles surrounding.

Rattling Creek, Lykens Pa.
This is an IMBA epic ride that few have seem to actually ridden. This is less rocky than Moosic, less techy than Gov. Dick, but is 17 miles of high country Pa fun. there is a fat tire festival out there every year (been off the last few and just restarted) that is awesome with food, beer and days of riding.

Ohiopyle Pa
This is a relatively new trail system just south of Ohiopyle Pa. The town of Ohiopyle is an outdoorsperson dream. whitewater rafting, kayaking, gravel biking along the great allegheny passage and previous mountain biking in nearby WV at Coopers Rock and Big bear. They have stitched together a 11 mile route that has 1k of climbing and 6k of descending. Pedal up for a helluva workout or get a shuttle up from one of the many outfitters in town.

Moraine State Park, Butler Co, Pa
This is a terminal moraine from the last ice age with all the house-sized boulders you could ask for. It is as challenging as Jungle Habitat in a more remote location without abandoned zoo paraphernalia. Its a full day blast to crank those rocks and have the place to yourself. - be careful though, there are bears.
Rattling Creek has been on my list for some time.

johnbryanpeters

Its a great out of the way place that's not too far. But you have to like rocks. Not as much as Jungle habitat or Ringwood, think Allamuchy rather than Stephens.
Elizabeth Furnace in VA is probably the rockiest terrain I have ridden in, unless it's perhaps the Whole Enchilada.

krink

Eddie Munster
Elizabeth Furnace in VA is probably the rockiest terrain I have ridden in, unless it's perhaps the Whole Enchilada.
IMG_4725A.jpg

I haven't done Moab but did do Sedona in 2019, that's a different kind of rock! Would love to do Moab when this is all over. I wish we had something like that as close as Pennsylvania

IMG_4692.JPG

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

Hey there. I have a place out in PA too and ride many of the places on your list. Fully agree Moosic/Eales is killer. Love that place. I’d also throw in Merli Sarnoski for some good tight tech trails. As for Jim Thorpe the trails are out there. American standard has already been mentioned. That’s on the west side of Rt 93. On the east side are Deer path, Uranium Road and a few others. There once was a trail called Bear Crap but that was cut just before the Game Commision banned riding so it quickly grew over. However, if you’re looking for the American Standard vibe on legal land, look no further than Mountain Top. Closest town is Glen Summit. Here’s an 18 mile loop we did last weekend that is about 80pct singletrack with some fire roads in between. Even the straight-ish line at the top is swoopy singletrack. Simply amazing stuff. Hit me up if you would like a socially distanced tour of the trails. I’m out in PA more than in NJ these days

View attachment 133104
View attachment 133105View attachment 133106

Im going here!! Ty

teabagger11

Might want to wait until after rifle hunting season some of the trails are on game lands
Always willing to give tours

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Overall how was it last time I was there it was slow and difficult
It was good. The snowmobile trails were a bit booted up and chunky but very ridable. The main fire roads had packed snow with the tire tracks frozen solid. Definitely helped to have studs. The singletrack was great. Mix of snow, exposed rocks and occasional dirt patches.

Top Bottom