What and Why do you SS?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am trying to understand the love for the SS. I have been riding XTR for 2 years and never had a issue. Why pass up the ability to go faster? :hmmm:

That being said I plan on picking up a Cannondale 29er this summer. :D
I feel quilty riding with my wonderful gears on group rides with all you Single speeders.

Gears are good. My main bike has gears. This is more of a lark right now.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
No love 4 SS

When my rear der froze 2 wks ago i knew i will never SS.As for breakdowns, my LX/XT entire drivetrain just came off after almost 4 yrs and i shift about every 5 seconds.You need to think a little and do some simple maintenence once in a while.I just recently saw some photos of a 6 mi ride on mtbr and it was just irresponsible. If the only time you have to ride is in those conditions, then don't go SS just QUIT.I can see SS as useful in distance/endurance though due to simplicity/durability.

J-Dro

.I just recently saw some photos of a 6 mi ride on mtbr and it was just irresponsible. If the only time you have to ride is in those conditions, then don't go SS just QUIT.I can see SS as useful in distance/endurance though due to simplicity/durability.

Even worse, the guy who posted those pics rides a 5" full sus bike, which is about as useful at 6 mile as using a sledge hammer to pound a trim nail. Wrong tool for the job.

walter

Fourth Party
Even worse, the guy who posted those pics rides a 5" full sus bike, which is about as useful at 6 mile as using a sledge hammer to pound a trim nail. Wrong tool for the job.

I was at clayton last summer and their was a guy there with a full face helmet and compression pads

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can see SS as useful in distance/endurance though due to simplicity/durability.

Most people go for the full squish on technical enduros. You can only take so much abuse down there.

I prefer a full face helmet when I go to work.

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

I am trying to understand the love for the SS. I have been riding XTR for 2 years and never had a issue. Why pass up the ability to go faster? :hmmm:

That being said I plan on picking up a Cannondale 29er this summer. :D
I feel quilty riding with my wonderful gears on group rides with all you Single speeders.

Hes The Enemy! Attack!

:D :D :D

Mk1Racer

Got a Haro Mary loaner while my other bike is in the shop. First 29 I've ridden and the first SS I've ridden in a very long time. Gotta admit, it was a pretty sweet ride. Gotta admit, the "don't need no stinkin' gear changes" thing was pretty damn cool. Gonna take it 6 Mile Tues. after work (gotta bring it back on Wed.). I wish I could get one, but I'm in the market for a new road bike, and I'm looking at a Six13 or a Synapse, and won't have anything left over for a SS. :(

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got a Haro Mary loaner while my other bike is in the shop. First 29 I've ridden and the first SS I've ridden in a very long time. Gotta admit, it was a pretty sweet ride. Gotta admit, the "don't need no stinkin' gear changes" thing was pretty damn cool. Gonna take it 6 Mile Tues. after work (gotta bring it back on Wed.). I wish I could get one, but I'm in the market for a new road bike, and I'm looking at a Six13 or a Synapse, and won't have anything left over for a SS. :(

for like $425 you can get a redline monocog. either borrow a buck from 425 people or check for change in the couch of everyone you know.

Top Bottom