What am I doing wrong?

skipper

I had minor surgery done back in August which put me out of commission for about 6 weeks. Now I'm trying to get back on track. I'm 5'11" 210lbs after being a couch potato for over a month (was 200 before that) and I've been off my bike for two months. Still haven't gotten back on the bike, since the surgery consisted of the excision of a pilonidal cyst on my tailbone (still a little sore). I've been running here and there and been lifting weights again. I either do an intense 20 minute plyometrics workout followed by some yoga, or about an hour at much less of an intensity. I attempted to run the manasquan resovoir on Monday (5.5 miles), made it about 3.5 miles and needed a couple breaks here and there before I finished. Same thing today only I was even more fatigued. Today and Monday, I worked out for about 25 minutes in the gym prior to the run. Before the surgery, I was completing the whole 5.5 miles in about 40-45 minutes and felt great the whole time. I feel slow.

Today, at 10am I had 2 whole eggs and 2 pieces of wheat toast. I cup OJ, about 16-20oz water. 1130am had an apple and some grapes. Hydrated some more. 1pm had a small yogurt and 1/4 cup granola, followed by half a gatorade. Did my 25 minute workout, proceeded to the resovoir and began my run at 1245 sharp. Like I said, 3.5 miles in and I was pretty exhausted. I expected better results after watching my intake more closely in the morning. Should I have tried more or less carbs/fat/protein? Waited more time after eating before working out? I like to work out first and then run, I have always been under the assumption that is the best thing for you, to help bring oxygen to your muscles to help them repair faster after weight training. This has been the beginning of me trying to get into the best shape of my life. I'm waiting until I can get back on the bike and I will then hopefully see better results. Can't wait to get back to Allaire and Hartshorne as well as check out some other places.

Can someone give me a few tips here and there, maybe about what I might be doing wrong or what may help? I always drink a protein shake (about 30g) after each workout as well.

Much thanks.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What time did you wake up today? And between then and 10:00 am, did you eat anything?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think you may be expecting gains a little too quickly.

skipper

Woke up at 830am.

Might be true that I'm expecting to get it back too quickly.

I guess I'm discouraged because I used to do that 5.5 mile run while smoking a pack a day. I quit while I had surgery and expected my body to have more energy but so far not so much.

dnap

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been working on my "diet" pretty closely with my trainer over the last 2 years.... One thing he has stressed is eating within the first 45 minutes to an hour after waking up. Also he encourages eating some kind of protein within a half hour (to an hour max.) after training. Oh yeah and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Those things with the 5 to 6 small meals a day has gotten me better results than when I had no handle on my nutrition. I also find I need to eat a substantial carb about 1.5 to 2 hours before intense training (or races). Oatmeal works for me, but not for other people. I'm also a woman, so there may be different guidelines for men, like I know I can't take in too much protein or my body doesn't respond well.

I'm no expert, but I know for me it has been a lot of trial an error with different foods and timing to get the best response. It took me a couple months to get a handle on what worked and gave me the best results. Hopefully some of this helps you out.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had minor surgery done back in August which put me out of commission for about 6 weeks. Now I'm trying to get back on track. I'm 5'11" 210lbs after being a couch potato for over a month (was 200 before that) and I've been off my bike for two months. Still haven't gotten back on the bike, since the surgery consisted of the excision of a pilonidal cyst on my tailbone (still a little sore). I've been running here and there and been lifting weights again. I either do an intense 20 minute plyometrics workout followed by some yoga, or about an hour at much less of an intensity. I attempted to run the manasquan resovoir on Monday (5.5 miles), made it about 3.5 miles and needed a couple breaks here and there before I finished. Same thing today only I was even more fatigued. Today and Monday, I worked out for about 25 minutes in the gym prior to the run. Before the surgery, I was completing the whole 5.5 miles in about 40-45 minutes and felt great the whole time. I feel slow.

Today, at 10am I had 2 whole eggs and 2 pieces of wheat toast. I cup OJ, about 16-20oz water. 1130am had an apple and some grapes. Hydrated some more. 1pm had a small yogurt and 1/4 cup granola, followed by half a gatorade. Did my 25 minute workout, proceeded to the resovoir and began my run at 1245 sharp. Like I said, 3.5 miles in and I was pretty exhausted. I expected better results after watching my intake more closely in the morning. Should I have tried more or less carbs/fat/protein? Waited more time after eating before working out? I like to work out first and then run, I have always been under the assumption that is the best thing for you, to help bring oxygen to your muscles to help them repair faster after weight training. This has been the beginning of me trying to get into the best shape of my life. I'm waiting until I can get back on the bike and I will then hopefully see better results. Can't wait to get back to Allaire and Hartshorne as well as check out some other places.

Can someone give me a few tips here and there, maybe about what I might be doing wrong or what may help? I always drink a protein shake (about 30g) after each workout as well.

Much thanks.
I will only comment on the exercise part of your weight loss, others probably have more info on nutrition.

Don't be discouraged about how fast you used to run, or how much you benched 2yrs.ago. Run for 45 min. and dont worry about how many miles you did. If you run 4-5days a week for 6 months you will get faster, and loose weight. When you are healty enough to ride your bike ride for 45min and gradually increase saddle time to 2+ hrs.
Give it time, there is no magic solution. Its all about living a healthy lifestyle and enjoying exercise.:D

Top Bottom