what aged you started learn to rides a bicycles?

liong71er

hello!

just a memoir from our childhood and that's is what bring all of us to become what we are today,a cyclist/racer/or beyond,...so lets share our memory shall we?:popcorn::popcorn:
i started learning to ride a bike with my grandpa's old bicycles an chinese brand(phoinex)an adul bicycles,..but this one is lady model not men model. i was at 8 yrs old,..prety much i learn it with bunch of my relatives and friends.
and there's no BMX/MTB back in the day or in the place where i from, it's where most peoples in my town, relied on bicycles as their main transport vehicles.
and i've been biking ever since..till now!!

Last edited:

MST.ESQ

Started on a trike as soon as I could walk. As far as a first "real" bike, I think almost everyone in the states had a BMX bike for their first.

Started riding a bike with no training wheels at the age of 7. I learned on a bmx bike. A Mongoose Speed Limit. Still have it, such a sick bike lol.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Never had training wheels...went straight to a root beer brown 1971 20" Ross Apollo Racer (single speed, of course) that was my 6th b-day present :D

Beat the hell out of that bike until I was 12 and got my brand new silver Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. It spent just as much time airborne as the ol' Ross and 'just kept on tickin' as well.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Never had training wheels...went straight to a root beer brown 1971 20" Ross Apollo Racer (single speed, of course) that was my 6th b-day present :D

Beat the hell out of that bike until I was 12 and got my brand new silver Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. It spent just as much time airborne as the ol' Ross and 'just kept on tickin' as well.

I had the dark orange Ross Apollo 3 speed stick shift, 7th or 8th birthday. It was the same one they gave away on Wonderama each week. Followed by a green Varsity at age 12.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I dont remember exactly, but it was pretty early...
I do remember my VAGABUNDO bike around 10yrs old
618617VAGABUNDO%20ROJA.JPG
:getsome::popcorn::getsome:
used to insert a plastic juice bottle between frame & tire to make noise like a motorcylce :rolleyes:

Sircrashalot

I was pretty young. First bike was a Schwinn Stingray can't remember if it was a 3 or 5 speed, but I almost immediately bent the wheels banging curbs, so it was replaced with a black Schwinn Scrambler with yellow Tuff Wheels mags:
1979magscramblerbike.jpg

It was a 77 so I was 5 on that thing & it lasted a couple years before I cracked the frame jumping it. During that time I was getting bigtime into BMX & wanted to race. I had written down a parts list of my dream bike. Then shortly after my Grandfather passed away the list got lost. That Christmas, 1980, I came down the steps to find a Torker, with Redline Flight cranks, MCI stem, Uni seat, Shimano DX pedals, Z-rims, Hutch hubs, CR? bars, and every other part off my list. Rod at Howell Twp. bicycle world had built the bike off of my list, at my fathers request, using money left to me by my Grandfather. It became my race bike, and I'd say that is when I started to learn to ride for real, at 8 years old....like Warcricket I am still learning every time I ride.
2007_1980_torker_eddy_king_replica_.jpg

steverod23

I was 6 years old. My grandfather fixed up a yellow Schwinn StingRay with the banana seat and huge handle bars. Ah, got to love the 70s ...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I had the dark orange Ross Apollo 3 speed stick shift, 7th or 8th birthday. It was the same one they gave away on Wonderama each week. Followed by a green Varsity at age 12.

I had a buddy that had the 3-speed version. We used to argue about which was better; gears or no gears :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My best friend had the green Varsity.

Wonderama? I grew up in Bend Oregon...which is a different country...so, don't use these local references...they just confuse me :D

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Wonderama came on WNEW on Sunday mornings.
The first three emcees were Sonny Fox, Bob McAllister and Chuck McCann. (don't ask me how I remember this :rolleyes:)

Just recalled, after the Columbia, came a blue Schwinn Sting Ray (stolen) then an orange Varsity.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Just recalled, after the Columbia, came a blue Schwinn Sting Ray (stolen) then an orange Varsity.

The Varsity's sure were the machine in the 70's. Pretty much everybody I know graduated from their 20" bike to a Varsity. Drop barred tanks, they were.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I started at 6 when I was in Korea. I remember it had a banana seat. When I came to the states 8 years old, my dad bought me a huffy:

pro_thunderfreespirit_001_copy1_lg.jpg

That's the one I remember riding everywhere before I got into freestyle in the mid/late 80's

Robson

I was about 8-9 years old. Back then in my old country (Poland) we didn't use training wheels. I remember how my grandfather helped me and pushed the bike as I pedaled as fast as I could to keep momentum and balance. Funny, I remember this as yesterday....

sixseven

I dont remember exactly, but it was pretty early...
I do remember my VAGABUNDO bike around 10yrs old
618617VAGABUNDO%20ROJA.JPG
:getsome::popcorn::getsome:
used to insert a plastic juice bottle between frame & tire to make noise like a motorcylce :rolleyes:
Duder that thing is FUKKINWIKKED.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
not long after i started walking. i learned on a fixed gear with no training wheels. :getsome: my mom would stand uphill in the front yard with my dad downhill. she would push me off, i would roll ten feet, fall off, get up, yell, kick the bike, then try again. fifteen feet, the same, twenty feet, the same, then i finally started making it all the way and figured out that balance phenomenon and i was outa there. at least that's the way my mom tells it.

John Baumann

Growing up in a family with Eleven children, my parents were pretty much worn out by the time it got down to me(I'm number 8).
My older siblings taught me how to ride kinda like the Navy teaches sailors how to swim...
I never had a new bike- only hand me down wrecks and Frankenstein like revivals of things I dug out of the garbage.
Somehow though, I always loved riding as did most of my brothers and sisters; it was like our therapeutic escape from reality... and still is!

Top Bottom