Wharton Conditions

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There have been high winds in the area all day today. There are many large and small branches down on the roads surrounding Batsto. If you will be riding this weekend, expect lots of limb litter and maybe several blowdowns. If you are able, please feel free to drag what you can off the trail. Thanks!

A big thank you to the JORBA Atlantic County chapter lead, Kevin A. and his friends

In Kevin's words. *I had a Batsto group ride Saturday that turned into a TM day. We cleared a ton of debris from Blue and Orange. Only three large trees left on orange that were too big for my folding saw.*

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Henri's Hotts BBQ in Folsom opens for their 2020 season on March 14.

There is an orienteering event on Sunday 3/15/20. If you're riding, keep your head on-swivel. The newbies at the event will likely be stopped mid-trail puzzling over the map.

There are motorcycle events in the area on: 3/15/20; 3/22/20; and 4/5/20. If you're riding, keep your ears open. Pay attention when crossing fire cuts and the sand roads.

Please do not ride on the hiking-only trails, or ride through the village. Hiking-only trails are marked with colored squares and paint on the trees. MTB trails are marked with colored circles and plastic discs on the trees

There are restrooms inside the visitor center, and 24/7 restrooms on the side of the visitor center. Please do not frighten/annoy someones grandmother by using the Batsto Visitor Center Parking lot as a urinal.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The Batsto Village parking lot is closed. The trails remain open.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Got an e-mail today from a State Parks & Forests staff member following up on the Parks and Forests trail closures. He emphasized that the State Park Police are patrolling the trails.

The adjacent NJ Conservation Foundation's Franklin Parker Preserve is also closed.

rmap01

Got an e-mail today from a State Parks & Forests staff member following up on the Parks and Forests trail closures. He emphasized that the State Park Police are patrolling the trails.

The adjacent NJ Conservation Foundation's Franklin Parker Preserve is also closed.

So this is how our tax $$ are going to be used??? Unbelievable!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
So this is how our tax $$ are going to be used??? Unbelievable!
mmmm I read that staff member's comment as; the SPP is spending less time on the county roads and more time in the forest. I could ask him for clarification... but I know I'd never get it. :)

I understand that a lot of the parks and forests workforce is furloughed. Which has gotta be rough.

rmap01

I understand that a lot of the parks and forests workforce is furloughed. Which has gotta be rough.
I agree. However, gov't jobs that are furloughed are typically kept whole with respect to pay and their jobs are still available once the furlough is over (unlike the private sector). If part of their daily responsibility is a drive-by of the parking areas or access places where people congregate that's one thing but if they are actually taking the time to patrol the trails then they probably don't have enough to do and should be furlough'ed. This is coming from someone that's had to make some very difficult decisions about furloughing people in my business.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
I agree. However, gov't jobs that are furloughed are typically kept whole with respect to pay and their jobs are still available once the furlough is over (unlike the private sector). If part of their daily responsibility is a drive-by of the parking areas or access places where people congregate that's one thing but if they are actually taking the time to patrol the trails then they probably don't have enough to do and should be furlough'ed. This is coming from someone that's had to make some very difficult decisions about furloughing people in my business.

Understood. I think its the *drive-by of the parking areas or access places where people congregate* you mention.

For those outside this discussion that don't know the WSF. Wharton Forest is larger than Union County, 192 sq miles compared to 103 sq miles (fact check?). There are lots of places where people congregate, and hundreds of miles of sand road (trail) connecting it all.

pibbles

Understood. I think its the *drive-by of the parking areas or access places where people congregate* you mention.

For those outside this discussion that don't know the WSF. Wharton Forest is larger than Union County, 192 sq miles compared to 103 sq miles (fact check?). There are lots of places where people congregate, and hundreds of miles of sand road (trail) connecting it all.
Might also add that park police are essential state employees and can be used elsewhere as the state sees fit...maintenance crews might have hours reduced or be furloughed indefinitely and as is typical with the state of NJ if they get by without that employees services for a period of time they may just axe that job and it may or may not be there when this is over. Gonna be tough all around for a while.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Might also add that park police are essential state employees and can be used elsewhere as the state sees fit...maintenance crews might have hours reduced or be furloughed indefinitely and as is typical with the state of NJ if they get by without that employees services for a period of time they may just axe that job and it may or may not be there when this is over. Gonna be tough all around for a while.

I like the way that you worked the word *axe* into the post.
We'll have to wait and see if Fast Eddy finds his way back to work after the furlough ends.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
from the WSF FB page...

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.27.11 PM.png

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG

Clean up work from last week's storms has started. We worked a long portion of Smell Sour Road (green double track) and some of the PBT today. Picture of Jim (everyone in sNJ knows Jim) hand sawing thru a large oak is attached. You're welcome. :p

Jim_saws.jpg

Davesnhere

Many Thanks guys! While it's roadie season for me, I still plan to hit up the trails every now and then...Your hardwork is much appreciated!

Last edited:

kjarrett

Rode the Orange Trail yesterday, easy pace, just under three hours. Conditions were good overall but there are quite a few trees down, some large, I counted maybe 20 or so. The worst area was where there is regrowth after a recent (?) fire. Only saw one other rider, also what appeared to be motocross tire tracks in a few spots.

Just joined JORBA, appreciate all that's being done to support MTBing in NJ. Thanks, everyone!

IMG_2710_1.jpg
IMG_2746_1.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions