WHARTON 40

sandman

This years W.F. will be Oct.17,2015. I think this will be #8. Start at Carranza at 8am. Clean up rides start in Sept. Once again, we will use about 95% of the Orange trail, and all of the Blue. We hit the Blue after lunch at Batsto, and for some reason we feel it in our legs. We'll hit the regular favorites, Mount, Mount J., Mount D., and along Sandy Ridge. Kurt as always, I hear nothing but good things about clean up on the Batsto trails, Thanks to you and your crew, that's 20 miles we know will be trouble free. I already started some clean up, not from nature, but the do good bees.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
This years W.F. will be Oct.17,2015. I think this will be #8. Start at Carranza at 8am. Clean up rides start in Sept. Once again, we will use about 95% of the Orange trail, and all of the Blue. We hit the Blue after lunch at Batsto, and for some reason we feel it in our legs. We'll hit the regular favorites, Mount, Mount J., Mount D., and along Sandy Ridge. Kurt as always, I hear nothing but good things about clean up on the Batsto trails, Thanks to you and your crew, that's 20 miles we know will be trouble free. I already started some clean up, not from nature, but the do good bees.

Thanks! A small crew of us JORBA folks have worked hard to clean up the damage on the mtb trails left from that big straight line wind storm.

Regarding the other thing on the other trails. All of the work was done or sanctioned by the powers that be. Please use caution and recognize what is storm damage and what ain't. (Or at least smile for the cameras. :) )

Have a good ride!

Last edited:

sandman

I always try to show my good side to the cameras. How about a straight line sanctioned wind.

Attachments

• 11855753_10153406000977936_6941862255144321752_n.jpg
    11855753_10153406000977936_6941862255144321752_n.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 363

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
I always try to show my good side to the cameras. How about a straight line sanctioned wind.

Please don't stir the pot. :) Its already boiling.
I feel your pain. Maintanence of the Batsto MTB Trails just became a little more time consuming due to sand road closures and our inability to truck our tools to the back corners. This is compounded by the manner in which the roads were closed and our inability to bike a bob trailer full of tools quickly down the sand roads to get back there. The good news is that the MTB Trails remain open to bicycles.
If anyone is wondering what SandMan and me are talking about. On August 4 the NJ Park Service released a press release describing their recently developed a Motorized Access Plan for Wharton. The NJ Parks Service Motorized Access Plan (M.A.P.) limits motorized access to some sand roads, at the same time closing some sand roads to motorized traffic, allowing only hiking, bicycling, horseback riding. As noted in the picture SandMan posted, some of the sand roads were closed in a corduroy fashion, and others with fresh timber. As a JORBA representative I have diplomatically expressed my concerns to WSF staff regarding the inability to bicycle down these newly closed trails. There is not much more that can be done at this point in time. There is a chance that certain items will be reevaluated in the near future.

If you have strong opinions on these changes for motorized access in Wharton, a quick web search will show there are several organized motorized advocacy groups that are looking for your help. Please do not remove any items or signs on these sand roads that signify they are closed. Please be aware that NJ DEP Parks Service uses game cameras and trail traffic counters for monitoring the forest.

NJ Parks Service Press Release for Wharton Forest's Motorized Access Plan
TRENTON - The New Jersey State Park Service is preparing to launch a Motorized Access Plan to protect the environment and encourage responsible use of Off-Road Vehicles, or ORVs, in Wharton State Forest, located in the heart of the Pinelands National Reserve.
The Pinelands Commission supports DEP's efforts to encourage the public's informed use of the Pinelands," said Nancy Wittenberg, Executive Director of the Pinelands Commission. "We are pleased with DEP's continued actions to address activities that result in negative impacts to Pinelands resources.
The Park Service expects to begin implementing the plan - the first of its kind in the state - by late summer. Brochures and maps will be available at the Batsto Village Visitor Center, located off Burlington County Route 542, east of Hammonton, and at the Atsion Recreation Area, located off Route 206 in Shamong, Burlington County.
At 125,000 acres and sprawling over much of Burlington County and parts of Camden and Atlantic counties, Wharton State Forest is by far the largest unit in the State Park System. The State Forest protects rare plants and animals, some found nowhere else in the world. It also encompasses some of the most remote areas in New Jersey.
Over the years, some ORV operators have utilized trails not intended for vehicle use to access ecologically sensitive areas, damaging plants and habitats for wildlife and leaving ruts and gullies in wetlands and sandy areas.
Off-Road Vehicles are legally registered pickup trucks, Jeeps and similar vehicles equipped with four-wheel drive capabilities and special tires that enable them to access rugged terrain. All-Terrain Vehicles, also known as quads and three-wheelers, as well as unregistered dirt bikes, are not permitted in Wharton or on other state-owned lands.
All told, State Park Police and Division of Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officers patrol some 200,000 acres in the heart of the Pinelands," Director Texel said. "While enforcement of regulations protecting these areas remains important, the brochure that accompanies the Motorized Access Plan will promote responsible recreation, while helping to promote the forest to new visitors. It is our expectation that the vast majority of visitors will follow the Motorized Access Plan and come to understand its importance in protecting this special place for future generations.
The Motorized Access Plan will enhance our enforcement capabilities and make emergency response actions, including wildfire response, much more efficient," Texel added.
The development of the brochure, map and route was funded by a $600,000 federal grant that is also helping the Park Service to make repairs to roads, including filling in deep gullies that have formed. Many vehicles have to go around these gullies, resulting in unintended widening of existing roads into forested habitats.
Wharton provides habitat to some 300 bird species, nearly 60 reptile and amphibian species, and more than 90 fish species. The DEP lists 43 animals as threatened or endangered, including the Pine Barrens tree frog, timber rattlesnake, and pine snake.
The State Forest also boasts some 850 species of plants, including wld orchids, sedges, grasses and insect-eating plants. Rare plants
include the bog asphodel, swamp pink and Pine Barrens gentian. The pedominant trees are the pitch pine, various oak species, and alantic white cedar. The latticework of roads and paths through the State Forest were pimarily built in the 18th and 19th centuries to connect villages that supported a variety of industries, including iron-making, glassmaking, timber and agriculture.
A downloadable version of the brochure will be available soon. To view the Motorized Access Plan map, visit:

http://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/maps/wharton_map_web_version.pdf

sandman

I think the pot has been stirred. The chatter on and off line is deafening. Some have good points ( lets treat the earth with respect). Others , not so much( Its my tax dollars). Most will never get what you wrote in post #3. It's hard to respect something that you consider wasteland, or nothing but sand, or in February when you want to ride in the pinelands, because your hard pack trails are to soft to ride on, and you don't want to damage them. Kurt, I know you remember the times we road out of Atsion. We had to clean up a trail, and the next week, we had to do it again. Nature is hard enough on the pinelands, we don't need humans to add to it. The hate, and the mistrust between all the different users, will keep the pot boiling. Its not that I can't ride in Wharton, I just need to plan on a lot of clean up. With 20 of the 40 miles not on the Batsto trails, I would like my clean up effort a one, or two time thing. Maybe instead of the Wharton 40 , it should be called the surprise 40.

OddTrickStar

The plan is actually closing MOST roads to vehicles. The remaining ones will be widened and smoothed to allow "on road vehicles" to travel. See Sandy Causeway. This is causing quite alot of talk and rightfully so.

sandman

Good work day Saturday. Tree trunks removed, now its lopper time. Made it to Jemima Mount. What a good feeling when you make it to the orange trail. I see why riders like to ride the trails out of Batsto. If the rest of the Orange, and the Blue trails are in this good of shape, then half my work is done. Thanks again to the clean up crew. That's to both the folks that help me, and help Kurt. I think moving the Wharton 40, from January to October, was a good move.

sandman

Another good work out today. Loppers were the tool of the day. Next week will be a machete run.

jackx

Are fat bikes required or are normal bikes 2" tires sufficient ?

After the next rainfall, fat bike season will be over in the pines. ( its just a joke ) We been doing this ride long before we had fat bikes, so that would be a yes to the " normal bikes 2" tires sufficient?"

This very helpful to know for people with 2.0 tires and may help increase the ranks for the Wharton Forty. Sounds like a cool ride/event!

sandman

All seasoned riders are welcome. Just remember that it is a group ride and not a race. It takes about 7 hours from start to finish with lunch at Batsto, the half way point. Between the Batsto trails, and Sandy Ridge trails, this is the best of Wharton.

sandman

Regarding the other thing on the other trails. All of the work was done or sanctioned by the powers that be. Please use caution and recognize what is storm damage and what ain't. (Or at least smile for the cameras. :) )
Well after the 5th. time cleaning up the same trail, I called about this Sanctioned work. What I come across is not sanctioned. I talked to the Atsion office, the DEP hot line, and, a ranger. Nothing sanctioned, no cameras, no :).

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Well after the 5th. time cleaning up the same trail, I called about this Sanctioned work. What I come across is not sanctioned. I talked to the Atsion office, the DEP hot line, and, a ranger. Nothing sanctioned, no cameras, no :).
Yeah. There has been much confusion, backpedalling, press and drama over the MAP since its introduction. Go figure.
Probly the most factual, and maybe the least vitriolic, average guy discussion on the MAP is over on the njpinebarrens.com forums.

Last edited:

sandman

Well this was it. For the last time we cleaned up the same trail that we cleaned up for the last 10 weeks. Plus we cleaned up the rest of the 20 miles that aren't part of the Batsto trails (thanks kurt & co.). So if anyone is coming on this ride that we don't know, we meet at Carranza park at 8am. 20miles to Batsto for lunch. Then 2o miles to parking lot. We ride as a group, and the hole things takes less then 7 hours.

pibbles

Good ride today, 10 riders, 41 miles, 7 hours, 5:42 ride time, 3 first timers, 1 good group.
Had a good time doing the Wharton 40 got to meet some great people and got in a great workout. It took me 5 full minutes to get out of my car! I'm still a little disturbed about men in skirts but I guess that's the direction the world is headed in....

sandman

I'm still a little disturbed about men in skirts but I guess that's the direction the world is headed in.... I hope not! It was good to meet you and Jim. I hope he had a good ride.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions