Wet brine, dry brine or no brine?

ekuhn

Wet Brine. Picked up brine and bag set from Ace Hardware. Traeger brand, I think. Dry thoroughly before applying rub and smoking, including cavity.

I think I'm taking the bird to +/- 125* in the smoker and finishing it off in the deep fryer for that Smo-Fried experience.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Wet Brine. Picked up brine and bag set from Ace Hardware. Traeger brand, I think. Dry thoroughly before applying rub and smoking, including cavity.

I think I'm taking the bird to +/- 125* in the smoker and finishing it off in the deep fryer for that Smo-Fried experience.
I'm doing Smoked turkey with bourbon and bacon again. Came out great last year so will do again.

ebarker9

Sous Vide. Break down the turkey ahead of time. Coat in a salt/sugar rub. Dark meat goes in for 12 hours at 150 degrees, add white meat for another 12 hours and reduce to 131 degrees, finish under broiler or in a pan. Delicious and minimal chance for screwing up (most importantly).

Cassinonorth

Sous Vide. Break down the turkey ahead of time. Coat in a salt/sugar rub. Dark meat goes in for 12 hours at 150 degrees, add white meat for another 12 hours and reduce to 131 degrees, finish under broiler or in a pan. Delicious and minimal chance for screwing up (most importantly).

Sounds damn good. May have to give this a shot next year.

iman29

Mandatory Basting every 45 minutes since it went in the oven at 7:30 @350F with aluminum foil tented over.

Prep was just rub down with an entire stick of butter and then rub in kosher salt. Stuffing is my wife’s grandmothers Greek rice base with finely diced Turkey parts (yes the stuff from the little bag) sautéed beforehand with onion lemon salt pepper fresh garlic and a EVOO. Rice mixture gets semi cooked before it went into the bird so the rice cooks the rest of the way inside.

This thing weighs 25lbs plus the 1.5lbs of rice and juices I did a lot of squat lifts getting this thing in and out the oven all day.

It’s coming along nicely and all parts will
be in scope to consume around 4pm.

Edit. Convection was on longer than I planned so it’s just about done. Can’t wait to eat it.

AF8BC013-233B-4B08-B3A9-7082E2784187.jpeg
1BD00E42-97A3-4F58-A197-8A7349B9AA4F.jpeg

Attachments

• 3DFF43AF-9199-4C16-A44F-C0F2900D2F1D.jpeg
    3DFF43AF-9199-4C16-A44F-C0F2900D2F1D.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom