Western spirit bike tours

roc

Has anyone ever done one of these. A buddy invited me for a July trip to Brian head.
if you did them, how did the elevation effect you, I’ve skied out west for years, and I just can’t imagine biking at altitude. Looks like close to 25~30 miles a day, I think my longest ride on a mountain bike ever was 25miles.
looking from feedback from anyone who gets lightheaded buckling their ski boots at elevation. how bad was riding at elevation.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone ever done one of these. A buddy invited me for a July trip to Brian head.
if you did them, how did the elevation effect you, I’ve skied out west for years, and I just can’t imagine biking at altitude. Looks like close to 25~30 miles a day, I think my longest ride on a mountain bike ever was 25miles.
looking from feedback from anyone who gets lightheaded buckling their ski boots at elevation. how bad was riding at elevation.
I've done 3 trips out west with them...GooseBerry Mesa, Sun Valley Idaho, and Fruita Colorado. Elevation at GB and Fruita. didn't really impact me during the week, but I think they're at about 5-6000 ft above sea level. (i live about 4 feet above sea level). Sun Valley, on the days we went 10,000 + feet above sea level was hard, but not awful. For me I just had loss of power the higher i got up with a little more difficulty breathing...like my body was just less efficient working at that elevation. So I slowed things down and just enjoyed the sights around as I was climbing...

Jealous you're getting out there with them this year...they are great guides with insane cooking skills! I'll be out with them again, but not this year.

roc

I've done 3 trips out west with them...GooseBerry Mesa, Sun Valley Idaho, and Fruita Colorado. Elevation at GB and Fruita. didn't really impact me during the week, but I think they're at about 5-6000 ft above sea level. (i live about 4 feet above sea level). Sun Valley, on the days we went 10,000 + feet above sea level was hard, but not awful. For me I just had loss of power the higher i got up with a little more difficulty breathing...like my body was just less efficient working at that elevation. So I slowed things down and just enjoyed the sights around as I was climbing...

Jealous you're getting out there with them this year...they are great guides with insane cooking skills! I'll be out with them again, but not this year.
Thanks for the input. I’m still on the fence. The rides and campsites will always be higher than 7000, with 2 starting at 10,000. Just not sure how I’ll respond, I have a while to decide.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No matter what happens you'll never regret going. You will 100% regret not going...
There is truth in this statement. On all 3 trips there is a mixed bag of people in terms of skill/fitness etc. The first day everyone has a little bit of jitters like "what if I'm not fast enough or fit enough" kind of head games happening. It all goes away on first pedal stroke! The other riders want what you do...to ride MTB in a sick place with likeminded people, see cool terrain that different from what they normally ride at home, camp under the stars out west, etc. And the people you meet are so cool. And there is always going to be someone who is slower or in less shape...and it doesn't matter!

On the Sun Valley trip with Western Spirit, we were riding from the trail network back to our campsite through a town road, and came upon a plaque that was a tribute to Ernest Hemingway (he killed himself with a shotgun in Sun Valley). All of a sudden, one of the other riders launches into a 25 minute history of Hemingway, his life story--trials and tribulations, etc. right there at the monument. Turns out this older English gentleman Patrick (who was at least 70 years old at the time) was a literature professor at Vanderbilt University. It was such an awesome moment! I've met some incredible people on these trips. And had life changing rides. Do it.

Once my own medical issues worked out I will one hundred percent go on another WS tour.

onetracker

I have not yet done a WS trip, although have talked about it alot with @rottin' However, I have done many mountain bike, ski (nordic and alpine) and backpacking trips to CO (Crested Butte, Leadville, Fruita, Vail/BC, Aspen, Winter Park, etc), AZ, MT, WY, OR, etc from NJ. I try to go to CO to ride with friends at least 1x annually and have ridden alot at high elevation. Not worried about speed, all about fun.

Go, you will not regret it!!!

Drink lots of water and use compression socks. You will always be thirsty and have the farts. But those mtns will nourish your soul! I want to go right now just thinking about it.

NJ Gator

Been on a few tours with them- Sedona and Gooseberry. Loved both those tours I would consider going on either of those tours again. I have been on a Rim Tours trip in Brian Head. Elevation is no joke but if you go into it knowing you will need to dial it back and listen to your body you will be fine. Especially with modern day drivetrains (12 speed!) 😁 I travel solo typically and I look forward to meeting some great people.
Man now I want to go to Gooseberry... or Sedona...

roc

Been on a few tours with them- Sedona and Gooseberry. Loved both those tours I would consider going on either of those tours again. I have been on a Rim Tours trip in Brian Head. Elevation is no joke but if you go into it knowing you will need to dial it back and listen to your body you will be fine. Especially with modern day drivetrains (12 speed!) 😁 I travel solo typically and I look forward to meeting some great people.
Man now I want to go to Gooseberry... or Sedona...
Going easy has never been a problem for me. my big concern is putting out the effort needed at 7500-9000ft. I get tired and out of breathe on a bump run or tree run in vail or snowbird, and that’s with a chairlift taking me up!

NJ Gator

It is not going to be easy. You WILL feel it. I went when I was younger and it pushed me- I was really into SS’ing then and walking equaled failure. I rode gears but I would say it “felt” like I was riding to my max on really big climbs. That being said I certainly didn’t push my bike more than I rode it- quite the opposite. We rode Navajo Lake as part of that trip and I believe that is slightly over 9,000 feet. Great experience and I would do it again- I would definitely take the time from now to July and train. Round Valley would be a great place to work up to as well as Blue Marsh in Reading PA.

roc

It is not going to be easy. You WILL feel it. I went when I was younger and it pushed me- I was really into SS’ing then and walking equaled failure. I rode gears but I would say it “felt” like I was riding to my max on really big climbs. That being said I certainly didn’t push my bike more than I rode it- quite the opposite. We rode Navajo Lake as part of that trip and I believe that is slightly over 9,000 feet. Great experience and I would do it again- I would definitely take the time from now to July and train. Round Valley would be a great place to work up to as well as Blue Marsh in Reading PA.
According to the routes, we stay at navajo lake, 9000 feet is way high. I'll start working out now!

Top Bottom