how was the course?
have you used it since?

Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician

is anyone here certified?

if so:

through who?
how was the course?
have you used it since?

WEMT is difficult to obtain, takes several months. Anyone interested in getting WEMT certified should go to SOLO for the courses. I would recommend spending the money only if you want a job in the field, otherwise its a bit expensive to get the training and not use it.

Its easier to get become an EMT through your local rescue squad first, then take the Wilderness module to add on to it afterwards - a bit cheaper too.

SOLO offers WFR (Wilderness First Responder) training 2 or 3 times a year at Mohegan Outdoor Center in New Jersey. It takes a full-time week of training and costs about $800. You can join your local SAR organization with WFR training.

I looking into doing the SOLO or NOLS WEMT courses a while back when I was all about living in a trailer in Colorado, ski patrolling in winter and bike-bumming in summer. I could not foot the $6000 bill for a residential WEMT program, though.

I was WFR and ARC Lifeguard certified several years ago when I did open water guard duty at summer camps and led backpacking trips for groups at EMS. The SOLO WFR course was incredibly comprehensive, and even though I never had to use the skills in an emergency, the knowledge I gained has helped me be better prepared when I leave the house for the shelter and sanity of the woods. I think I will look into getting my certificate again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom