Welding repair for Lawnmower

iman29

I have a perfectly running older Toro 22" Personal pace residential use mower, that somehow has a cracked mower deck on the side discharge chute (the part I never use). I dont even know how long its been like this but I really dont want to spend 400 for a new mower.

Anyone know someone in the Northwest NJ area (think close to Martys Randolph or within reasonable distance) with some decent welding skills that wants to make a few bucks. I have no idea what's reasonable to charge me for this but if its less than 1/2 the price of a new mower I guess its a win. Sigh.

cracked mower deck.jpg

If it were mine I'd just go to home Depot and get a flat bracket or piece of metal and just bolt or rivet that together. Not worth investing more than a few bucks for a repair like that. IMO
thanks yeah does not look like its worth it to pay for a shop repair, will have to move this thread to DIY i guess...

If it were mine I'd just go to home Depot and get a flat bracket or piece of metal and just bolt or rivet that together. Not worth investing more than a few bucks for a repair like that. IMO

+1. This is what immediately came to my mind.

IMO @I Ride Bikes is right.

Bolt don't rivet though. 2 bolts on each side. Its not worth going to greater lengths given the appearance of the mower deck. Even if welded, that would probably crack again at the weld. If you really want to go crazy, weld it and bolt a plate.

1529943642783.png

New deck is about $140 online then I have to figure out how to take apart and put together = more labor costs. At that point I'm probably more than halfway to a new one. Not worth it.

I could ignore it but the whole mower already flexes now due to the crack and worried I will catch the blade and start slinging shrapnel.

Might be visiting hazlet NJ soon with some beers.

New deck is about $140 online then I have to figure out how to take apart and put together = more labor costs. At that point I'm probably more than halfway to a new one. Not worth it.

I could ignore it but the whole mower already flexes now due to the crack and worried I will catch the blade and start slinging shrapnel.

Might be visiting hazlet NJ soon with some beers.
More than welcome to. I used to repair old decks daily. It’s jist a stress point. Most likely not going to move anywhere near enough to catch something we surely we can butter it up. Oh and Hartshorne is a stone throw away.

@David Taylor thanks again, this is on hold as I have no car at the moment.

Seems the rear diff may have imploded yesterday now waiting to see if its covered under Hyundai's famous 100K drivetrain warranty and then no idea when it gets fixed. sigh.

Back
Top Bottom