Welder Needed

M

MC San Andreas

Anyone know someone who does nice welding work on aluminum? My bike has a hairline crack on the swingarm that should be welded.

M

MC San Andreas

I tried to send a PM but it said "NJJess" was not a user... ???

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
We talking about the same Jess??? :rofl:

It's a different kind of quiet.
Besides, I wouldn't go teasing on a strong, capable chick who wields a blow torch if I were you. Uhm, unless you're into that sort of thing.:p

lmckee

If you can't find anyone fairly local to you I might be able to get someone to do it for you. I work at a fabrication shop (in Baltimore MD) but I only mig and stick weld. There is a guy affiliated with my shop that is an excellent tig welder (we bring him in to do really high quality small stuff) and I might be able to get him in to do it. Consider what I'm offering kind of a last resort but if it comes to it let me know.

M

MC San Andreas

I apreciate the offer. I sent NJ Jess a PM but have not heard back from her yet.

s4lnj

most machine shop tig weld-- check your yellow pages and make some calls--sometimes you would be suprized what you find

Panhead

First thing you have to do is find out what alloy the aluminum is, then figure out the weld process, pre-heat, post-heat, heat treat. Or else you can ust wing it and hope for the best. If Jess doesn't get back to you shoot me a PM.

Ian F

In a nutshell:

6000 series: fix and re-heat treat.

7000 series: you're pretty much SOL.

http://www.frankthewelder.com/

He's in VT, so you'll have to mail the frame to him... and I doubt he's the least expensive option... but there's no one I'd trust more to fix an aluminum mtn bike frame.

NJ Jess

Hi there

I apreciate the offer. I sent NJ Jess a PM but have not heard back from her yet.

Sorry, but I've been working a lot,..welding at Giant Stadium and the Ferris wheel at Xanadu. Thanks for considering me to help, but alas I do not have a mig/tig welding machines at my job. I mostly do stick and wirefeed. The tig welding I did was at a warehouse doing fabrication/production. Besides, you really want a bike welder,..there is a women in NYC that builds frames. welding tubes (pipes) requires a jig to avoid deflection. The earliest I can get her number would be monday. Get back with you later.

don

In a nutshell:

6000 series: fix and re-heat treat.

7000 series: you're pretty much SOL.

http://www.frankthewelder.com/

He's in VT, so you'll have to mail the frame to him... and I doubt he's the least expensive option... but there's no one I'd trust more to fix an aluminum mtn bike frame.

Agree about getting FTW to do the work. It'll be done right and if he thinks a small gusset or something would help the stressed area he could add it and has the knowledge of what will work.

Top Bottom