Weight training and Riding

RyanW

How many of you include some sort weight training with your riding? I have lifted for years strictly to keep in shape but lately i've wondered if it hurts my recovery/energy levels for riding. I've never really done anything for legs just upper body. Just curious if it's counterproductive.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Weights are heavy and give you big muscles. Big muscles make you slow. You should have the upper body of a 12 year-old girl and thighs as big as your waist:D

-Jim.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
n1177957656_447250_1965.jpg

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
He doesn't frequent the site much these days but I'd like to hear Tim (Steve Guttenberg) weigh in on crossfit, the low-rep, high exertion regimine he does. Tim hadn't touched a bike in 6 months and we hit some rough rocky trails in Ringwood Friday for a 2hr ride. He pretty much hung tight the entire ride which is unbelievable given his lack of riding. Big muscles may be a disadvantage for endurance riding, but strength helps.

RyanW

Well it's not in my make up to be big I was just curious if others do some sort of upper body work to help with injury prevention, endurance, or if simply biking more is enough.

ellenserruto

Weight training 2x/week works for me but I'm in the hands of an expert trainer so I can't over do it. If all your parts are strong chances of injury go down, right? Its that simple.

ellbiddy

I'm pretty much a weight lifter who rides, rather than a rider who weight trains. I'm about 218 lbs and 5'5". I don't know if the weight I carry slows me down, or the extra muscle in my legs and butt is a benefit.

Me last year (not too different now):

070507_1-1.jpg
815812orig.jpg
:wedgie: :wedgie: :wedgie: :wedgie:
:rofl:

BiknBen

Minotaur said:
Me last year (not too different now):

070507_1-1.jpg

BiknBen's Rule #3897
Never take photo of self in mirror wearing tighty-whities!!!!

:rofl:

Last edited:

Minotaur

Yeah, it was a mistake. Ya learn.

BiknBen's Rule #3897
Never take photo of self in mirror wearing tighty-whities!!!!

i don't think those classify as "whities" :D

Jockeys... light gray. Posing in your skivvies is a weight trainer thing. But I guess you guys wouldn't know about that stuff. :hmmm:

I thought he had Depends on.

Easy on the Hateraide, boy.

The compare the above picture to the one below ..... These 2 must have been seperated at birth or soulmates !!

Considering the previous responses, I'm not sure how to take that. :cool:

That girls brown dolphin needs a bigger tank.

Huh? :confused:

See yaz on the trail. But no worries, I'll have clothes on.

Last edited:

sixseven

I ran some image enhancement/fecal recognition software on the photo of the girl and found that I was wrong on my initial assumption. That is not a brown dolphin in her tank.
It is actually very rare specimen of NJ Brown Trout.
Not legal to be kept in captivity, and what's worse in this case is the size of the tank given the immense size of the trout. It is immoral to not give such a fine specimen room to grow. In fact it is cruel.
I hope this ends any confusion caused by my earlier post.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok ok ok ok...for the good of mankind I'm calling uncle on this thread.

Over and out Captain!

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl

I ran some image enhancement/fecal recognition software on the photo of the girl and found that I was wrong on my initial assumption. That is not a brown dolphin in her tank.
Not legal to be kept in captivity, and what's worse in this case is the size of the tank given the immense size of the trout. It is immoral to not give such a fine specimen room to grow. In fact it is cruel.

Tommy and I were in tears reading this one! again, :rofl:

dhsean

Back on Topic!

I race downhill so I use some strength training. There is a difference between strength training and beach muscle weight training. This guy has some pretty interesting ideas on strength training. I use The Ultimate MTB Workout Program 1-2 times a week in the off-season. It is a little complicated but to do things right it is never simple. There are also some other simpler programs available. Yes, he did sponsor me, but he was very supportive and I do believe in his advice at least for downhill racing. I know there are a lot of skinny XC guys that can throw down hard though.

http://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/products.html

I have been using this for the past 2 years and I'm not all big and muscley. 130 lbs of fury. It is strength training for better body posture, flexibility, body balance, injury prevention - not to get bigger. The exercises are more total body movements and about balance and use hardly any machines. It will probably thin you out some. High reps are silly for strength training, ride the bike for endurance, use the weights for strength to enhance your riding.

Minotaur

I could only see the picture when I got home. Then I understood why it was blocked at work. I submit that my pose in my skivvies was in better taste.

Top Bottom