Weight training and Riding

sixseven

I started weight training about 4 months ago, 4 times a week. Pretty simple free weight routine. I noticed about a month ago that there are several pains I am experiencing that have lead me to stop doing certain lifts.

One pain is knee related. Top of the knee, just below the cap bone. The other is a muscular back pain that I can only describe as stiffness.

The knee pain I noticed more the weekend I spent at Rays riding a ss. It seemed to aggravate it more. Its not debilitating but it isn't exactly healing up.

The back pain is not spinal, I can't even say that it is a pain, its more mid-lower back in the muscles on either side of my spine and is most present after being bent over for periods of time over 5 minutes. I feel it a lot at work and when I straighten/stand up I need to do it more slowly than I used too. Long car rides do this too. It feels like stiff muscle type of pain.

I have heard others on here mention deep tissue massage and wonder if that would be a good route to go before seeing a doctor and having him reccomend an unnecessary surgery or something.

I have cut out any lifting that affects the knee or my back.

None of these things are really painful or keep me from doing anything...they could just be from getting older and years of abuse.
Just wanting to know what to look for in terms of deep tissue massage and if that is an avenue worth exploring.

familyman

If you have time to lift weights start light and eat the proper way ,bulk on a bike only slows you down.I stopped the weights started a routine thats seems to be working really well for me I was 173 lbs ripping it up on a dh bike but getting beat up on 2hr xc rides.I changed my eating habits and do pushups pullups two times a week and ride twice a week Iam now 167 lbs even have abs now.

C.Puncher

Deep tissue message is wonderful. Give yourself some rest. It sounds like all muscular. Advil liquid gels for 2-3 days as recommended on the label should help. I had similar symptoms years ago.......went to the emergency room, because I couldn't move. They gave me muscle relaxers and advil. I didn't like the muscle relaxers, and stuck with the advil. I was playing softball in 3 days.
I've been training with weights since 1989, and have some formal education. Your form during lifts could be suspect for your described discomfort.

djm

Sure, if you gain a lot of weight you gotta pedal that around but gaining muscle and its associated weight is no easy task. And if you do end up gaining a massive amount of weight just stop working out!

And what amount of weight would slow you down...20-30lbs maybe? Even 10lbs of extra muscle does a lot of good.

I'm a firm believer in freeweights. There are so many advantages that the question of its worthiness becomes a no-brainer no matter what the sport. Mental health, strength posture, how clothes fit, etc is just the beginning. Before working out I suffered from shoulder and back pains on a regular basis. All gone now.

And I don't mean working out for hours on end just spend 45 minutes once a week doing the major stuff like deadlifts, squats, bench press, dips, pullups and shoulder press.

dhsean

If your an avid rider you should look at weight training as a supplement to things missing from your riding. Riding all the time will give you really strong hip flexors a strained lower back and a strength imbalance in your core between your abs and lower back.

Most of your lifting should be done "uni" with dumbells trying to make your week side strength even with your strong side. Your are only as strong as your weakest link. Everything in moderation focusing on the movement, muscle control and flexibility and not seeing how many plates you can slap on the bar. If you overdo anything with bad form it will cause pain and discomfort.

Best advice ever: It would be dumb to not be able to ride or race because you injured yourself training. :hmmm:

sixseven

If your an avid rider you should look at weight training as a supplement to things missing from your riding. Riding all the time will give you really strong hip flexors a strained lower back and a strength imbalance in your core between your abs and lower back.

Most of your lifting should be done "uni" with dumbells trying to make your week side strength even with your strong side. Your are only as strong as your weakest link. Everything in moderation focusing on the movement, muscle control and flexibility and not seeing how many plates you can slap on the bar. If you overdo anything with bad form it will cause pain and discomfort.

Best advice ever: It would be dumb to not be able to ride or race because you injured yourself training. :hmmm:

Whatever it is that I am experiencing happened before I started lifting. The lifting just made me more aware of it.

You post a lot of good advice it seems, and I think you mentioned the deep tissue massage thing a while back. So back to the question....anything I should look for in terms of deep tissue massage? As I understand it, it falls somewhere between massage and Rolfing. Just want to get an idea of what's out there and what to expect.

ArmyOfNone

Before I started riding a was a power lifter weighed almost 50 pounds more than I do today. I was pretty burned out and stayed away from the gym, but Ive been steady for the last 7 months or so. Now, I am in the gym 3x a week. My workouts last no more than an hour. I train all upper body and focus a lot on core as well. I keep my reps in the 8-12 range.

I can say that I very noticeably have found that my upper body is less fatigued and I can handle the bike much better. I also think there is a lot to be said for having good overall fitness. I feel good too after a good workout.

If you train and eat right bulking up should not be a concern. I cant keep the weight on!

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
One pain is knee related. Top of the knee, just below the cap bone. The other is a muscular back pain that I can only describe as stiffness.

The knee pain I noticed more the weekend I spent at Rays riding a ss. It seemed to aggravate it more. Its not debilitating but it isn't exactly healing up.

Again, I feel if climbing or leg strength is one of your limiters 20-30 reps, 4-6 sets, medium weight 2-3 times per week during the Base training is a good idea. If you suffer from knee pain weight training is a very good. Limit the range of motion of the excercises. For Vet riders I've read that weight training year round to maintain leg strength is a good idea. And always strecth during and after workouts.
RC

dhsean

Before I started riding a was a power lifter weighed almost 50 pounds more than I do today. I was pretty burned out and stayed away from the gym, but Ive been steady for the last 7 months or so. Now, I am in the gym 3x a week.

I knew you didn't have those guns from just riding. :rofl:

I used to be a gym rat back in the day and was 20 lbs heavier. If you ride you will never put on too much weight from lifting. I'm pretty much stuck at 130. Any weight added by lifting is an advantage in my opinion. We need to go to the gym together one day and yell at each other like when we ride to make it fun. :D

Top Bottom