Weekend Report ???

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I didn't have a lot of juice to bother this week since it was all frozen early in the week but it seems like things are melting, and getting sloppy, just about now. So with that in mind, if you have any trail conditions, fire away and I'll update this post. This weekend looks to be a Mess Fest with 40-55 degree temps and rain Sunday. Blah to that!

Races

Berkshire Valley Buzzards Bash - Sunday - MTBNJ Unofficial Training Series #3

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Allaire Good (12-20) - "Rode most of Allaire Wednesday with Chuck E. A little tacky mud here and there, but conditions will be excellent come Saturday. Sunday probably not so much, unless the rain gets here a little later..." and "Allaire is a little muddy in spots but great overall."

Allamuchy North Good (12-20) - "Allamuchy north has been amazing! I've been all over the park. Probably about 90% of it in the past couple of days. It's been stoopid fast when frozen, just tread lightly on the front tire or you'll do the best endo you've ever done But as for the warmer temps I bet it's going to be sloppy to say the least. Go when it's cold so it should be a little more solid and less mushy."

Allamuchy Deer Park/Stephens Average (11-7) - ?

Blue Mountain Average (10-28) - ?

Chimney Rock Average (12-21) - I'm going to go ahead and call this one average at best. With the warming temps it will be dipping from average to bad, but overnight it probably freezes up a bit. Saturday morning should be ok, but later in the day as well as all day Sunday is probably going to be shit.

Hartshorne & Huber Average (11-23) - ?

Jungle Habitat Average (12-20) - "Wawayanda & Jungle Habitat are frozen and snowy...it may get better Sunday when the temps warm up to soften the top layer of ice. We have had lots of snow and ice and freezing conditions the past 2 weeks."

Kittatinny Valley Average (11-29) - ?

Lewis Morris Average (12-1) - ?

Mercer County Park Unknown (10-25) - ?

Mahlon Dickerson Good (12-20) - "mahlon is frozen over and fun."

Ringwood/Ramapo Average (12-2) - ?

Round Valley Good (11-24) - ?

Six Mile Average (12-19) - "I was there Tues. and Wednesday evening. Great if frozen. Crap if thawed."

Sourlands Average (12-15) - "sourlands last weekend was groovy. a little icy on the boardwalks, but overall cool. i think if rode early enough with cold night temps the night before, it'll be fine... but once milder temps come in, it'll be crap."

Tourne Average (12-20) - "Ryan and I rode last night (seemed like riders #3 & 4 back there). With the warm temps yesterday the western exposed trails were rather slushy and at times unrideable. Up near the summit of the tourne and the trails running off of it things where still really good and hardpacked. Lets hope it either A) gets cold and the snow sets again, or B) gets warm and melts."

Wawayanda Average (12-20) - "Wawayanda & Jungle Habitat are frozen and snowy...it may get better Sunday when the temps warm up to soften the top layer of ice. We have had lots of snow and ice and freezing conditions the past 2 weeks."

Wildcat WMA Average (11-27) - ?

Last edited:

xc62701

Allamuchy north has been amazing! I've been all over the park. Probably about 90% of it in the past couple of days. It's been stoopid fast when frozen, just tread lightly on the front tire or you'll do the best endo you've ever done :D But as for the warmer temps I bet it's going to be sloppy to say the least. Go when it's cold so it should be a little more solid and less mushy.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Allaire still looking good

Rode most of Allaire Wednesday with Chuck E. A little tacky mud here and there, but conditions will be excellent come Saturday. Sunday probably not so much, unless the rain gets here a little later...

bozizle

More Snow

Wawayanda & Jungle Habitat are frozen and snowy...it may get better Sunday when the temps warm up to soften the top layer of ice. We have had lots of snow and ice and freezing conditions the past 2 weeks.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rv?

Has anyone ridden RV this week? Wondering if it is ridable or a sheet of ice?

D

DANSPANK

Hey Kids - any reports for Lewis Morris. I have family in town and can only sneak in a quick ride whilst they walk the dog. But I know LM gets bogged-up. This'll be the first time in 3 weeks that I've been on the bike! Lazy arse!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK, everything has been updated as best I can. I made most of them average, with a few red averages in there if it can get bad easy. There are only 3 good reports right now, Allaire, Mooch north, and MD.

Further reports welcomed, but it will all go to pot by Sunday mid-day I suspect.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
OK, everything has been updated as best I can. I made most of them average, with a few red averages in there if it can get bad easy. There are only 3 good reports right now, Allaire, Mooch north, and MD.

Further reports welcomed, but it will all go to pot by Sunday mid-day I suspect.

sourlands last weekend was groovy. a little icy on the boardwalks, but overall cool. i think if rode early enough with cold night temps the night before, it'll be fine... but once milder temps come in, it'll be crap.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks! I think you summed up just about every park in the state with this:

i think if rode early enough with cold night temps the night before, it'll be fine... but once milder temps come in, it'll be crap.

With the possible exception of Allaire, I imagine. Perhaps Bill or Ben could give us an up-to-the-minute update when they get back.

BiknBen

Perhaps Bill or Ben could give us an up-to-the-minute update when they get back.

Just got back (to work). Allaire is damp/wet but holding up well. Slick in spots but no standing water. It got a sprinkle today but no heavy rain.

My Holiday Tip: Get there early. The Hospital Rd. Lot has been filled the last few weekends. The equestrians usually arrive around noon.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
H&h

Conditions at Hartshorne and Huber same as most, average. If more rain this weekend downgrade to poor. Thanks, Brian. (JORBA Monmouth County Parks chapter lead.)

D

DANSPANK

Lewis Morris

My first snow ride. I'm hooked. That ride was one of the best this year. It wasn't my fastest, my toughest, I didn't land any crazy jumps or anything, I span out and had to walk a couple of hills with deeper snow, but the sensation of being out there and the satisfying, ongoing crunch of the snow under my tyres just made it fan-fooking-tastic!!

I know there are a few people on the board who are on the fence about cold/snow weather riding but you just have to try it. I only did about 9miles as I've got family in town and needed to get back to the car but it was just brilliant. Here's how I was kitted-out:
-29er - perfect tool for the job
-2.1" pythons - not good for softish snow. I sank in a few times and span on most hills
-long sleeved mtb jersey under a light ski jacket - perfect!
-Regular mtb shoes with 2 layers of socks - toes were cold towards the end
-Winter gloves - toasty
-Shorts - real men wear shorts!

I made some first tracks on a few trails and saw perhaps one other set of bike tracks. I saw a couple of dog walkers and that was about it - just stunning.

So I'm hooked. I'll need to take the 26er next time as the ignitors have deeper tread, and I need to take shades because of the snow glare but what a fantastic day!

Oh, if it rains in Morristown tonight then the trails will go to shit. I'm glad I got in there today!

So, jdog, I need some winter shoes mate!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Allamuchy yesterday...

...was indeed fantabulous....fast, smooth, very few spots where we bogged down. But the studs were pretty much a necessity. While no sheets of ice, the snow that was there wasn't giving much. However, by around 12 noon, the lower sections were starting to soften up a lot....I think our window is over for the next few days I'm afraid...I'm glad Dan got to Lew Mo today...he was lucky...the coming rain tomorrow will be no friend to us....I'm hoping things'll pack down and then re-freeze instead of getting washed away.
Greg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good deal. Looks like it was a great day to get out. It's already misting lightly here, about 35 degrees. Hopefully this passes over entirely and we can keep all these good reports. But if we get that rain and 50+ temps most of this will go to shit. That sucks, as I'm off until Jan 2nd.

de00304

lew mo

I hiked lew mo yesterday with my dogs. much of it was frozen over so therefore ridable on top of the frozen snowpack. However trails facing west were less frozen and therefore not so ridable. Saw a couple of fresh bike tracks...

But is is raining now...

Top Bottom