Weekend Report ???

All of the normal wet spots at Allaire are....wet. Chris gave a solid report a few posts back.

The best route is something like this, which you could ride in the rain and not hurt much: south exit from the lot and then hard right toward the model plane field. Dont go along hospital road, that trail is beat up. You can ride the "airport loop" from here, just dont go down toward the river when you are up above the pump house. Then back out to the paved road and make a right, hit the end and make another right, passing the pit on your left. Continue straight over the whoops to the main fire road. From here you can ride about any trail you come across.

Hit the glass trail, which is the white marked trail on your right. It ends back at the paved road. Go back to the fire road, pass the glass trail entrance, and bang a left onto serpentine. Make a right at the bottom of that, then a left at the next intersection, then the first right. This will take you toward "IMBA". Make a left up the little climb that goes to the power lines to add some more climbing miles, then come back down to IMBA. At the bottom of IMBA continue straight, until you are right along the fisherman's road. Then cross over and hit the hog bog. All of the bog loops are fine. After finished in there, instead of heading up the switchbacks, take the old sand doubletrack to the top. (Which is past the switchback entrance, basicly the end of the fisherman's road) Once at the top you are back on the main fire road, and can head over to the other side of the park where you started, hitting trails that eventually take you over near the easy street intersection. From there go across the street and ride everything except the trail along the river. There are a lot of entrances to the campsite side of the park, any of them will get you to well drained trails.

I would say you can put together a 10-12 mile ride that hits little to no mud without riding anything twice. The route i mentioned would be mostly mud free even if ridden in the rain. More miles obviously if you put together some loops that hit certain trails a few times.

Have fun and feel free to hit one of the Allaire TM days in the spring to fix the wet spots that have been taking a beating this fall, and will take another beating in the spring. :D

The most interesting obstacle was the tree branch encroaching on the Glass Trail which hooked my right arm, and threw me to ground at cruising speed right in front of Chuck, who then crashed his brains out as well. Boy, did we look cool.:rolleyes:

as I am reading this, I am wondering if ths was the same branch that assaulted me the last time I was at Allaire. Then I remembered that I unleashed some fury on that branch in a rage of anger.

It won't be hurting anyone any longer.:getsome:

Thanks for the report, especially the detail Ken. But as someone who doesn't know Allaire, I'd need a guide. I'm really good when I'm with someone who says, "OK this way." Otherwise, you could have just tapped danced those directions in morse code for all the good they'll do me :)

...Ringwood is apparently iced up, so if you have studs we could go there. I do, and we could try that this weekend? I'm off until Jan 2 so as much as I can get in, I'm game.

I wanted to....but my studded tires are too skinny...I want to see if I can exchange them. but if I do, they will never make it on time for the weekend :mad:

Thanks for the report, especially the detail Ken. But as someone who doesn't know Allaire, I'd need a guide. I'm really good when I'm with someone who says, "OK this way." Otherwise, you could have just tapped danced those directions in morse code for all the good they'll do me :)

We would show you but you keep avoiding us....:p

All of the normal wet spots at Allaire are....wet. Chris gave a solid report a few posts back.

The best route is something like this, which you could ride in the rain and not hurt much: south exit from the lot and then hard right toward the model plane field. Dont go along hospital road, that trail is beat up. You can ride the "airport loop" from here, just dont go down toward the river when you are up above the pump house. Then back out to the paved road and make a right, hit the end and make another right, passing the pit on your left. Continue straight over the whoops to the main fire road. From here you can ride about any trail you come across.

Hit the glass trail, which is the white marked trail on your right. It ends back at the paved road. Go back to the fire road, pass the glass trail entrance, and bang a left onto serpentine. Make a right at the bottom of that, then a left at the next intersection, then the first right. This will take you toward "IMBA". Make a left up the little climb that goes to the power lines to add some more climbing miles, then come back down to IMBA. At the bottom of IMBA continue straight, until you are right along the fisherman's road. Then cross over and hit the hog bog. All of the bog loops are fine. After finished in there, instead of heading up the switchbacks, take the old sand doubletrack to the top. (Which is past the switchback entrance, basicly the end of the fisherman's road) Once at the top you are back on the main fire road, and can head over to the other side of the park where you started, hitting trails that eventually take you over near the easy street intersection. From there go across the street and ride everything except the trail along the river. There are a lot of entrances to the campsite side of the park, any of them will get you to well drained trails.

I would say you can put together a 10-12 mile ride that hits little to no mud without riding anything twice. The route i mentioned would be mostly mud free even if ridden in the rain. More miles obviously if you put together some loops that hit certain trails a few times.

Have fun and feel free to hit one of the Allaire TM days in the spring to fix the wet spots that have been taking a beating this fall, and will take another beating in the spring. :D

Rode Allaire today, Ken, it wasn't bad. As you might expect, the higher the ground, the drier the trails.

Some locals in the lot suggested and gave me directions to Mulligan's Bar & Grill...good beer & burgers!

I'll second norm - I've ridden Allaire a few times and have even put TM in too but I don't know one trail from another. Tour guide needed hint, hint.

Just curious, is the glass trail the trail that comes into the fire road with the the wooden section of fence at the intersection. And on the ground is usually broken glass? I ride Allaire pretty regularly and its fun trying to ride Kens directions in my head.

Just curious, is the glass trail the trail that comes into the fire road with the the wooden section of fence at the intersection. And on the ground is usually broken glass? I ride Allaire pretty regularly and its fun trying to ride Kens directions in my head.
That be it. Frigging great trail, especially when ridden in the "down" direction (going in at the trailhead you describe).

It is fun imagining a loop as Ken describes in such good detail. I could see the entire thing as I was reading it.

I'll second norm - I've ridden Allaire a few times and have even put TM in too but I don't know one trail from another. Tour guide needed hint, hint.

We are gonna have a group ride in Jan (hopefully) when the ground freezes and we get rid of this mud. We'll call it the JORBA/MTBNJ Tour d'Allaire, and we'll invite all of the knuckleheads down for a ride. Maybe we'll even get Norm to come down . :hmmm: I've been wanting to do this for a long time but the conditions have been less than perfect (insert sarcasm here).

Glad you got a good ride in Joe, Mulligans is decent but next time you are down its Woody's! How was your friends first Allaire impression?

Glad you got a good ride in Joe, Mulligans is decent but next time you are down its Woody's! How was your friends first Allaire impression?

I actually brought two first-timers down with me, and they dug the hell out of it, as well as yours truely, of course!

Kvsp

after today, the next time you ride KVSP (and i would guess MD and 'mooch as well) will be with studded tires.

overall, conditions were pretty good. a touch wet in some spots, a touch mushy snow in some, especially the rail trails. the white and red trails were pretty clear...but all bets will be off with the incoming snow which just started...

You're getting snow? Lucky! In Bwtr an icy rain started abut 20 minutes ago. I am hoping for snow and lots of it! :lock:

You're getting snow? Lucky! In Bwtr an icy rain started abut 20 minutes ago. I am hoping for snow and lots of it! :lock:

I just got off the road where the last 45 minutes was frozen rain smacking me in the face. OUCH

Allaire on Saturday - 12-30

I got out this morning around 9 am with my two sons. We had a blast for almost 2 hours, I was very surprised at there fitness level. Or maybe im getting slow, The trails were pretty mooshy in alot of spots.Alot of big puddles as well. It was crowded, I would stay off the new cut trails, they are taking a beatin. It just started raining out again now....more rain tonight and Monday night too..Hope to get a ride in on Tues. morn somewhere.

Allamuchy this morning was fine. Some ice patches here and there but no need for studs. JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE LOGS. There was a sheet of black ice on one and as I came on top of it on an angle, my front tire slipped and down I went. I busted my knee pretty bad and had to cut the ride short as I couldn't keep pushing the SS on the climbs.:mad:

I don't know the trail names or my way at the Mooch so I can't give you more details. We parked at the Waterloo rd lot and went past the cement mixer then I dunno what else and finished on some red trail.

Now my knee is covered with ARNICA.

yep, snow. flopped over to sleet for now. probably flop back again in an hour.

Fred - good job sticking to the only trail that should be ridden in these conditions.

Fred - good job sticking to the only trail that should be ridden in these conditions.

bla. there were a ton of people at kvsp. the conditions were wet but very rideable. the rail trails were the worst.

Back
Top Bottom