Weekend Report 12-8/9

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't Get Shot

Ellen reminds us that, "This week, Dec. 3 - 8 is 6 day firearm deer hunting at Ringwood, Ramapo, Jungle Habitat and Wawayanda. Expect hunters in the woods. No hunting on Sundays."

Races

P'Burg River cross - Sunday, in my beloved high school town. Or not so beloved, especially South Main Street, a mere blocks from where this event takes place.

Group Rides

Chimney Rock - Saturday at 7:00 am, Newman's Lane lot. Early and cold. Led by yours truly. Be there or be...well, warm I guess.
BTCNJ @ CR - Saturday, 9:30
BCTNJ @ KVSP - Sunday @ 9:45

And again, the Goat Stinking Whores miss another weekend? Their leader is so packed up battling the misperception of the 69er that he's too busy to actually lead a ride.

TM Sessions

Sourlands, Saturday 12/8, 9:00 am.

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Allaire Good (12-5) - "Allaire is a little leafy, a little muddy in spots, but fun, fun, fun. Great conditions overall."

Allamuchy North Good (11-25) - "Allamuchy (Tranquility side) was in great condition with just a few wet spots on 11/25. Some of the exposed soil gave a satisfying crunch as my big 29er hoops rolled over it. There was one stone with ice on it but that wasn't the drop that made me endo spectacularly. Lots of leaves though so take care on fast hairpin downhill corners..."

Allamuchy Deer Park/Stephens Average (11-7) - ?

Blue Mountain Good (10-28) - ?

Chimney Rock Good (11-28) - "Chimney Rock is in good shape (I'm not), in places it's more wet than muddy. I did not have the time to ride anything on the other side of Chimney Rock rd. coming from Crim school, but I don't expect it to be too bad. Great job by the maintenance crew BTW."

Hartshorne & Huber Good (11-23) - "Hartshorne and Huber were very leafy, still some soft sand under those leaves but dry on Friday 11/23." and "It's been six days, but when I rode Huber last Friday, the leaf coverage was so comprehensive that literally no trails were visible. There were lots of places where I only knew where to go because of my knowledge of the park. Makes for interesting riding conditions. Hartshorne gets a lot more traffic, so it wasn't as covered as Huber that morning."

Jungle Habitat Good (12-2) - "This week, Dec. 3 - 8 is 6 day firearm deer hunting at Ringwood, Ramapo, Jungle Habitat and Wawayanda. Expect hunters in the woods. No hunting on Sundays."

Kittatinny Valley Average (11-29) - "KVSP Average. Avoid the needle side of the park mon-sat during hunting season."

Lewis Morris Good (12-1) - This was in great shape Saturday, traction was fantastic. The trails have been blown which makes riding right now great but brings to the front the ultimate question, that which we all wonder, "Who shot JR?" Wait, no, it's, "What's for dinner?" Wait, hold on, it's this. As much as it's great to go fast with no leaves, doesn't that hinder the trail "regeneration"? Not all the trails were blown but many were.

Mercer County Park Unknown (10-25) - Still "who knows" but this isn't a dry park so it stands to reason it's not in great shape right now.

Mahlon Dickerson Good (11-25) - "Mahlon was perfect over the weekend. I'd think even with the rain it should be ok."

Ralph Stover Poor (12-5) "(I know its not in Jersey, but i know a few of the guys on the site ride there...it's only 5 miles into PA, include it if you want) - average to poor. The upper (white) trail is muddy in many spots despite the ground being frozen."

Ringwood/Ramapo Good (12-2) - "This week, Dec. 3 - 8 is 6 day firearm deer hunting at Ringwood, Ramapo, Jungle Habitat and Wawayanda. Expect hunters in the woods. No hunting on Sundays."and "Ringwood was in great shape yesterday. There were only a few spots that were muddy and unfrozen and those are the usual spots. Actually it might be even better than normal given that the sand trap on Blueberry is frozen solid."

Round Valley Good (11-24) - Was out at RV with the group ride last week and it was in fine shape, though very much covered in leaves which made things a bit messy. There were a few wet spots but we're talking about 5 total feet of mud, the main one being at the lowest point in the grassy field crossing.

Six Mile Average(12-2) - "Rode six mile on Sunday 12/02 and since it was snow covered and frozen, a report is probably useless. A few bogged areas in the normal places and probably generally muddy when not frozen in mornings."

Sourlands Good (11-30) - "I rode at Sourlands today. Thumbs up!"

Tourne Good (10-28) - ?

Wawayanda Good (12-5) - The absolutely responsible Wawayanda riders report that, "Trail ran a good portion of the race course with my wife on Saturday, 12/1 and the conditions were good. Hiked the Hoeferlin and Black Eagle trails with wife and dog on Sunday, 12/2. Trails were covered in a bit more than 2 inches of snow. Noticed a pair of tire tracks on Hoeferlin so obviously someone enjoyed a snow ride shortly before we got there. Wednesday, 12/5: Still have patches of snow in my yard so I'm assuming the trails look similar. Conditions should be good because the ground is frozen. Patches of snow and possible some ice will keep any riders venturing out on their toes." and "We still have some snow left from this weekend on most of the trails but they are rideable. The ground is frozen and the temps haven't really got out of the freezing zone and are expected to warm up slightly this weekend." Then remember, ""This week, Dec. 3 - 8 is 6 day firearm deer hunting at Ringwood, Ramapo, Jungle Habitat and Wawayanda. Expect hunters in the woods. No hunting on Sundays.""

Wildcat WMA Average (11-27) - My cat's breath smells like cat food. Are you guys even reading this? Raid kills bugs dead.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
"Tiling Party" at casa de Shaggz, saturday evening followed by adult beverages and naked snow angels.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's a TM at Sourlands on Sunday @ 9am. Last 1 there for the season.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kirt - got it. Jeff sent me a PM as well. Thanks for the correction.

xc62701

You need to feed your cat something better....

Ringwood was in great shape yesterday. There were only a few spots that were muddy and unfrozen and those are the usual spots. Actually it might be even better than normal given that the sand trap on Blueberry is frozen solid... :D

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Ringwood 12/6

Yes, beautiful out today. Some ice has developed, but still pretty nice. I tried following someone's swiggly tracks down schoolhouse. I think they were drinking ;) hmmm or maybe they were going up hill.:)

Here are some shots....

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
I'll be grooming in Jungle Habitat sat morning at 9. Mostly the animal chute extension. Raking and tweaking some armoring nothing spectacular. No pay dirt just good karma. There is a roumor of a pay dirt session coming up soon I will keep y'all posted.
The area I will be working in is real close to the recycling center up there so not much possibility of hunters to near by.

Riding at 9 am on Sunday
Last weekend it got a lot of snow and the trails were a mess to follow so I rode the old safari road instead. that climb sucks!

xc62701

Yes, beautiful out today. Some ice has developed, but still pretty nice. I tried following someone's swiggly tracks down schoolhouse. I think they were drinking ;) hmmm or maybe they were going up hill.:)

Here are some shots....

If they were going uphill they probably had footprints next to the tracks...lol.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Chimney Rock was in real good shape on Tuesday. A little moisture under the leaves, but pretty much crunchy frozen everywhere else.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Yes average
Wildcat is OK if below freezing, sloppy when thawed out.

the other Norm

Wildcat WMA Average (11-27) - My cat's breath smells like cat food. Are you guys even reading this? Raid kills bugs dead.[/QUOTE]

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
JH this AM no hunters about an inch (at most) of snow. most of the trail is slik as snot. Lots of dead fall so keep a heads up

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Did Mahlon this AM. 'Bout an inch of snow and there were a few puddles forming here and there. Most of the ground was frozen 'n crunchy under the snow, sans where the puddles were forming.

All-in-all decent shape for trails with a little snow. The snow is light enough that the knobs had little problem biting through and getting grip. I didn't do any of the "big climb" trails up there (e.g. "The Wall"), but 'had plenty of traction to make every climb I did. Though, I was "snailing" around, so your MVV :)

The sun is out now and the snow is almost gone off my lawn (I'm about a mile from Mahlon), so its probably getting a little damp where the sun makes it to the trail...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
allamuchy was firm with about an inch+ of powdery snow this morning, but was getting soft with a cover of slushy snow by this afternoon.

walter

Fourth Party
Allaire was in pretty good shape. Apparently Monouth county got some rain last night, so whatever trace of snow was there is now gone. The trails were a bit slick with wet leaves but there wasnt that many spots of standing water. All in all, a good day.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
chimney rock was in great shape - probably a little wet with the warm weather by now...

Shaggz

A strong 7
the shower/tub area is almost tiled. the floor will go down tomorrow and both areas will be grouted by Monday.

de00304

Lewis Morris

Rode Lewis Morris Sat 12/8 afternoon. Initially in good shape, with a dusting of snow and trails frozen. However about an hour in things started getting pretty soft as south and west facing trails began thawing...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
mahlon was in great shape today. some ice, some of it thin over longstanding puddles, some of it solid. trails are firm and there is a significant leaf cover, though not as much as parts of allamuchy.

Top Bottom