Dry January 2024 (The Sober Thread)

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I had 4 beers in January. Each one was great and I looked forward to each one. I will keep to my lessened alcohol schedule but I’m going to try to only have when I really want one. I’ve been riding the seltzer train so that has helped. Oh and it’s been 6 months since I’ve had soda. That’s the bigger struggle. Both are big wins for me!
Not the loaded Mac n Cheese? LOL

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I decided to be sober for one day 3 weeks ago and turned it into two. I did that the following weekend as well. This past weekend I didn't however so last night was a fresh start. I have been reducing consumption in a sense(not gonna lie, just in a sense) by having "only" one 9% 19.2oz and one 6-7% 16ozer. As most know I am an all or nothing guy so I need to eventually turn this into nothing or I will be top soil like my younger brother.

A bit about my habits as maybe they relate. I am unconfirmed OCD.My brother passed away from his heroin addiction after ten years heroin free but not alcohol free. Some habits I have are never leaving a partially eaten plate or beverage. I don't typically get drunk but I "wind" down"(this is just an excuse. I likely just have mental issues I am suppressing. I can go on and on but in reality I am an addict and it affects everything from health to family to sleep and to racing. Somehow I managed a 2nd at wilderness 101 ss last year and I did this by limiting to 2 lighter ipas at dinner...anywho, you get it...

What I have done to conquer similar demons and may work for you...never give up caffeine but after 3pm is a Nono. For food, I have my wife portion me. If you put a pan full offload on the table I will keep helping myself. Leave the pan on the stove and just give me a small meal. Smoking...I quit that for good when I was 27. I never considered myself a "real smoker" but I chain-smoked at a boring job in my late teens. Never had the urge for early am smokes or to smoke late at night. Well until I quit during the day and decided to just smoke when I drank. I tried just bumming smokes etc...in the end it was smoke 2 packs a day in. Avery short time span or quit cold turkey. Luckily #2 happened. As a kid my father made homemade iced t by the gallon. I would fill a cup and finish it over and over...still do...out of sight out of mind is the best option for this...now for the beast(alcohol)...this is starting off with a day here and a day there but it needs to end like smoking did...cold turkey. I can not have one or two one or two days a week...nope. Last little tidbit about my drinking...I never keep an excess at home and would grab it almost daily so I can portion myself...with the exception of watching super cross at night on Saturdays most beer consumption happened in a very small window while putting kids to sleep to zone out...typically 7:30pm-9:30pm max...talk about a nut job...

Here is to all the sober ones...keep it up. Those that can have 1 or 2 beers a year I am jealous. To all, be careful, especially the young ones...alcohol and drugs can take over way faster than you think...land this comes from someone that grew up in a sober household.

Ejd

I decided to be sober for one day 3 weeks ago and turned it into two. I did that the following weekend as well. This past weekend I didn't however so last night was a fresh start. I have been reducing consumption in a sense(not gonna lie, just in a sense) by having "only" one 9% 19.2oz and one 6-7% 16ozer. As most know I am an all or nothing guy so I need to eventually turn this into nothing or I will be top soil like my younger brother.

A bit about my habits as maybe they relate. I am unconfirmed OCD.My brother passed away from his heroin addiction after ten years heroin free but not alcohol free. Some habits I have are never leaving a partially eaten plate or beverage. I don't typically get drunk but I "wind" down"(this is just an excuse. I likely just have mental issues I am suppressing. I can go on and on but in reality I am an addict and it affects everything from health to family to sleep and to racing. Somehow I managed a 2nd at wilderness 101 ss last year and I did this by limiting to 2 lighter ipas at dinner...anywho, you get it...

What I have done to conquer similar demons and may work for you...never give up caffeine but after 3pm is a Nono. For food, I have my wife portion me. If you put a pan full offload on the table I will keep helping myself. Leave the pan on the stove and just give me a small meal. Smoking...I quit that for good when I was 27. I never considered myself a "real smoker" but I chain-smoked at a boring job in my late teens. Never had the urge for early am smokes or to smoke late at night. Well until I quit during the day and decided to just smoke when I drank. I tried just bumming smokes etc...in the end it was smoke 2 packs a day in. Avery short time span or quit cold turkey. Luckily #2 happened. As a kid my father made homemade iced t by the gallon. I would fill a cup and finish it over and over...still do...out of sight out of mind is the best option for this...now for the beast(alcohol)...this is starting off with a day here and a day there but it needs to end like smoking did...cold turkey. I can not have one or two one or two days a week...nope. Last little tidbit about my drinking...I never keep an excess at home and would grab it almost daily so I can portion myself...with the exception of watching super cross at night on Saturdays most beer consumption happened in a very small window while putting kids to sleep to zone out...typically 7:30pm-9:30pm max...talk about a nut job...

Here is to all the sober ones...keep it up. Those that can have 1 or 2 beers a year I am jealous. To all, be careful, especially the young ones...alcohol and drugs can take over way faster than you think...land this comes from someone that grew up in a sober household.
Hi Dave. Even though we don't know each other, I too struggle with how much I drink. More importantly my son has OCD. The best thing we did was to get him help. He now has a therapist and is on medication. There is lots of good help out there. He is doing much better now and works at a job he enjoys. I encourage you to talk to your family and maybe get some help. Not judging or preaching. Just offering some advice

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Hi Dave. Even though we don't know each other, I too struggle with how much I drink. More importantly my son has OCD. The best thing we did was to get him help. He now has a therapist and is on medication. There is lots of good help out there. He is doing much better now and works at a job he enjoys. I encourage you to talk to your family and maybe get some help. Not judging or preaching. Just offering some advice
Thx man!

Reactions: Ejd

02camaro

dont know how i got here or why i read every post in this thread this morning and everyones contributions have inspired me. i think its time for me to make a change, youd think this would be painfully obvious after a drunk bike crash a year ago cost me a career opportunity and 9 mo off the bike recovering, but it didnt. hell nearly every bike ride ive ever done has been accomplished working through some sort of hang over now that i think about it. theres still beer in the fridge and with a wedding and my birthday coming at the end of the month theres no sense in making an attempt now but it starting sept first lets go.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Damn man, I was on hiatus from here when you posted this. Hope everything's going well down in SC. Never hesitate to reach out.
Thanks man. Things have definitely been improving since I got away. “People, places, things” as they say. I do miss Jersey, though. The trails here are so lame lol. Hard to mountain bike without mountains.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
dont know how i got here or why i read every post in this thread this morning and everyones contributions have inspired me. i think its time for me to make a change, youd think this would be painfully obvious after a drunk bike crash a year ago cost me a career opportunity and 9 mo off the bike recovering, but it didnt. hell nearly every bike ride ive ever done has been accomplished working through some sort of hang over now that i think about it. theres still beer in the fridge and with a wedding and my birthday coming at the end of the month theres no sense in making an attempt now but it starting sept first lets go.

I think about drinking differently now. Not the first thing i'm grabbing to wind down at the end of the day anymore.
Kinda pains me when i see Ryan say "needs" a drink - cause we really don't.
One of the first (and hardest) habits to break.

On the other side, I really do ask myself WTF when thinking about drinking another beer when i should be thinking about going to bed.
Mostly how i'm not going to sleep well, probably wake up with a hangover between 2-6 and not be able to fall back asleep, then feel like
shit for the next day - and then just when feeling better it seems like a good idea to restart the cycle???? go figure.

Best of luck - it was lots of very small steps for me to get it in check. And for many, "in check" means zero.
Gotta support everyone's journey.

Read that book (pdf) that is posted earlier in the thread. You'd think we were groomed to drink our whole lives.

rick81721

Lothar
I think about drinking differently now. Not the first thing i'm grabbing to wind down at the end of the day anymore.
Kinda pains me when i see Ryan say "needs" a drink - cause we really don't.
One of the first (and hardest) habits to break.

On the other side, I really do ask myself WTF when thinking about drinking another beer when i should be thinking about going to bed.
Mostly how i'm not going to sleep well, probably wake up with a hangover between 2-6 and not be able to fall back asleep, then feel like
shit for the next day - and then just when feeling better it seems like a good idea to restart the cycle???? go figure.

Best of luck - it was lots of very small steps for me to get it in check. And for many, "in check" means zero.
Gotta support everyone's journey.

Read that book (pdf) that is posted earlier in the thread. You'd think we were groomed to drink our whole lives.

Just a suggestion - maybe you guys should try weed instead of booze?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Well alcohol always results in some degree of altered state. So why else? Weed is relaxing, enjoyable and no effects the next day.

cause i like beer, and i don't drink it to get in an altered state anymore - whereas the goal of weed is just that.

i haven't done any drugs for non medical reasons since HS. well, 1x freshman year - which reminded me not to do it.

rick81721

Lothar
cause i like beer, and i don't drink it to get in an altered state anymore - whereas the goal of weed is just that.

i haven't done any drugs for non medical reasons since HS. well, 1x freshman year - which reminded me not to do it.

Still confused - you don't drink alcohol (which is a drug btw) to get into an "altered state", yet that is exactly what happens. Does not compute.

PS I wouldn't call relaxed an altered state. You need to try what's available now!

Top Bottom