Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

THATmanMANNY

Umm ignore thread
Mm k thanks bye

I’m just playing. To each their own. Nothing makes me just sit and do nothing for 30min besides a drink or two in the yard or around a table with some snacks. That I enjoy. The late night stuff (9pm and after haha) I’ve started to cut out.

Santa

I have not had a drink in 14 years. Believe me it has nothing to do with will power if you are a true alcoholic. I tried for years to stop and just trying to exert my power of will did nothing. Of course it was not just drinking for me there were a lot of hard drugs going on. It took a lot of hard work to get it behind me but it’s well worth it. While just drinking was not really my problem it’s been so long that I don’t want or miss it.

jpn

Good vibes going out to everyone dropping alcohol or sweets or whatever else. I fortunately never had issues with drugs or alcohol but I was addicted to soda for most of my life. Kicked that 4 years ago. Was literally drinking at least a two liter bottle of diet mt dew or cola every day for twenty years, from age 30 to 50. I had shoulder surgery in May 2018 and was popping 16 Advil everyday with all that caffeinated soda. Literally was burning holes in the lining of my esophagus and I almost died from undetected internal bleeding.

So no more soda! And I very sparingly take tylenol.

I've been trying to get weight down last few years. Done the Keto thing.

The last two weeks been off the wagon too much. Too much carbs and sugar.

So I will be joining the abstinence challenge for sweets and carbs.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Good vibes going out to everyone dropping alcohol or sweets or whatever else. I fortunately never had issues with drugs or alcohol but I was addicted to soda for most of my life. Kicked that 4 years ago. Was literally drinking at least a two liter bottle of diet mt dew or cola every day for twenty years, from age 30 to 50. I had shoulder surgery in May 2018 and was popping 16 Advil everyday with all that caffeinated soda. Literally was burning holes in the lining of my esophagus and I almost died from undetected internal bleeding.

So no more soda! And I very sparingly take tylenol.

I've been trying to get weight down last few years. Done the Keto thing.

The last two weeks been off the wagon too much. Too much carbs and sugar.

So I will be joining the abstinence challenge for sweets and carbs.

Didn't think anyone would take me seriously, but I found myself hiding drinks(soda) and candy from my wife. I don't think she has seen a grocery receipt in a year.

In late December I had some candy but it already wasn't the same but I soon found myself buying other chasing the sugar high.

Hope you stay strong, I'm not avoiding what my wife makes but in the same breath I don't go around elbow deep in a bag of cookies. Just doesn't deliver the same kick.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
As day 3 starts, my gut is a mess. I'll spare you the details, but there are constant digestive noises...
this helps with avoiding anything carbonated.
I remember how Grandma might handle this. Cola syrup and brandy.
Of course she was born in 1908, so as a kid,
cola syrup was just a way to get more concentrated cocaine into the system...

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So this is an interesting thread. I don’t consider myself to have an alcohol problem, per se. Once in a while a few beers turned into a few too many but that was not a regular thing. Anyway, alcoholism runs in my family. While nothing truly bad happened, Christmas was an eye opener. Quite frankly, I am surprised I never saw things for what they were until now. Two of my uncles passed out at 8pm. So did my younger brother. The kicker was my 8 year old son watching it all. That is not the example I want to set.

Anyway, my brother is an alcoholic. On the 26th I told him I would quit if he did. Haven’t had a drink since. The hard part for me isn’t not drinking. I’m trying to wrap my head around how to be social (but not a bummer) when pretty much every function involves drinking. For me, that will be the hard part.

Johnny Utah

Last year I looked around and found a lot of my social life incorporated beer, then a deeper dive showed a good amount of my evening work life did as well (networking, dinners, team building). Then when we saw family on the weekends they incorporated booze. I felt like John Wick when a contract was put out on him, needless to say it was becoming expected I had a beer or drink with a good amount of people....a lot of them would question when I passed and almost got annoyed with it.

That really pissed me off, so I quit cold turkey and started eating really well. I figured if I was going to need tell everyone “no” for the blockheads to accept it. There were a couple of times people would not get off my case at a social function about not drinking, I wanted to punch the worst offender in the face, but rather I told him, “fine I will have one of your fancy beers”. He poured it in a pint glass, we cheers and I poured it right on his lawn as I stared in his eyes. I then asked for another. Needless to say he was not happy, but he did not ask again.

I went from New Years to 3/25 last year, at that point I became heavily involved with work and was putting in eighteen hour days as was my wife. Lost about thirty pounds and felt better than ever. The hardest part was telling people “no” that were used to leaning on you for a cheat meal or a bunch of drinks.

COVID life brought me back to crappy food and booze, but once again I have grown tired of said people/agenda. I should rephrase, my reaction to COVID life brought me back. I have put most of the weight back on but am ready to give this a go again.

At no point do I think I have a problem, the hard part again is just saying “no” to people. The scary part I find is what you see when you are sober, especially in settings you usually would not be sober in. The sad part for me was realizing that the main or sole hobby some of my acquaintances have is drinking. It still boggles my mind when people do not have a hobby outside of TV / watching sports / or consuming substances.

As I get older and hopefully more mature, I have access to some time/opportunities. The best ones I have found/experienced never include booze.

One last thing I will add was that I used to love a beer after a really stressful day at work. I switched this out last year for a walk, not a ride. The walk was much slower and forced me to think/work through whatever irked me rather than drown it or forget about it. A huge tip was to do this with your phone off, no music.

If you are on the fence, I would suggest putting yourself first and doing it.

Three days in, hoping to go three months again but who knows🤷🏼‍♂️

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The hard part for me isn’t not drinking. I’m trying to wrap my head around how to be social (but not a bummer) when pretty much every function involves drinking. For me, that will be the hard part.

Over the past 3+ years I have had jobs that involve a lot of travel. I think in 2019 I was on 28 airplanes or something like that. I was surprised that nobody ever bothered me about not drinking at these social events for work. But I made it clear that it's not something I do, and that was the end of it. I really never had anyone care. After the first round, nobody ever gave 2 shits. I once had a coworker tell me that I was the least obnoxious non-drinker he ever met. I find that if you just say no, and don't waver, nobody cares. I also bow out early, often skipping them entirely at times if it is a longer trip.

That said, I did not have any relationship with any of these people before then. So I did not have the expectation that I would drink. Most of my friends now are bikers, of course. So not drinking is common enough around here. Again, NGAF what you do for the most part. When we go to Vermont as a team, some guys drink up, some not at all. I have never found any rift/divide there, not once.

serviceguy

I don’t feel I have a problem with alcohol, my drinking days have long since gone and were mostly a social thing, even though I got hammered pretty hard on occasions. During the holidays is mostly a tiny glass of Amaro Averna, a liquor that I get every year in the package from the mothership. This year we made an exception because the wife wanted to try some Amaretto di Saronno, but after the small bottle I purchased is gone ( the thing may as well be squeezed from gold it’s so expensive) we’ll probably touch alcohol on the next big holiday ( either Easter or most likely Christmas).

My real problem is food, as my waistline is witnessing. Mostly trying to stay away from yesterday’s bakery at Stop&Shop with an astounding rate of failure. Thank God for business day alternate fasting or else...

The real success story here is smoking. I hit a high of 3 packs a day of Camels (regular, with filter). I was even smoking on breaks during my bike packing adventures, it was that silly. I had to stop when I had surgery but thanks to the effort of ‘friends’ I always made it back. Until one day, after my routine Tuesday morning hunt for an open tobacco shop resulting in a fresh pack of Chesterfield I realized that those smelly, cancer causing, expensive and unpractical things were dictating my actions every time I ran out of them as an obsession. I tossed the fresh pack in a dumpster and walked away. That was on a Tuesday sometimes in 1995. Never had the craving since. The bizarre thing is that in my head I am a smoker.

rosceaux

Done. I'm in for January.

I've always said that the optimal number of drinks for me was two. The next most optimal was one. Then three. Then zero. Anything over three was a coin flip. I haven't had more than two drinks in a day since October. Mostly zero, but a lot of 1s and 2s mixed in there.

But... with the exception of one beer that I had with my father-in-law on New Year's Day, I am off for the rest of the month. So I'll keep it totally dry until Feb 2 and report in then.

Cheers?

serviceguy

Over the past 3+ years I have had jobs that involve a lot of travel. I think in 2019 I was on 28 airplanes or something like that. I was surprised that nobody ever bothered me about not drinking at these social events for work. But I made it clear that it's not something I do, and that was the end of it. I really never had anyone care. After the first round, nobody ever gave 2 shits. I once had a coworker tell me that I was the least obnoxious non-drinker he ever met. I find that if you just say no, and don't waver, nobody cares. I also bow out early, often skipping them entirely at times if it is a longer trip.

That said, I did not have any relationship with any of these people before then. So I did not have the expectation that I would drink. Most of my friends now are bikers, of course. So not drinking is common enough around here. Again, NGAF what you do for the most part. When we go to Vermont as a team, some guys drink up, some not at all. I have never found any rift/divide there, not once.
I always believed that being able to be exposed to the substance you gave up (alcohol, drugs, cigarettes etc.) without forcing your abstinence on others is somehow a mark of your success in giving up for good. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom