Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

I stopped drinking for two months due to undiagnosed health issues, I go back next month for follow up blood work. Despite not having a history of heavy alcohol use, I've never stopped drinking for any length of time, I usually have a few beers on the wknds. In part I wanted to not drink for awhile just because I never have and wanted to apply the brakes to see what it feels like.

I began drinking again because I enjoy having a beer. During the hiatus I did enjoy the Athletic Brewing IPA, it felt like I was partaking in social drinking without partaking.

For whatever reason I do know that there is a % of people who cannot handle alcohol, my older son is one of them. I've gone to AA meetings with him, listened to the stories and admired peoples brutal honesty in a crowded room. Fortunately my son has remained sober, the AA network helped get him there but ultimately its the will power of the individual to remain sober in a world that promotes alcohol use.

I stopped drinking alcohol, all drugs, smoking cigarettes', and eating meat all in the same month in 1974.
Just because.... I was tired of things telling me what to do (like cigarettes) I never went back to drugs, or cigarettes, or meat.
In 1986 I decided to drink alcohol again because I like it and figured I proved a point, I could stop. I don't drink a lot now,
just some beer and whiskey now and then.

Wow this is heavy. Can I go back to the "What Beer Are You drinking Now" thread? ;)

A friend of mine used to do a "water month" with his whole family, they picked February though since it's the shortest. 😂

OK - i'm not sure i can (i know i don't want to) do this.
Thing is I should. Waking up feeling like shit from drinking,
anything from "slow start" to "i'm going to puke" has happened a few too many times
over the last couple weeks. No need for it to continue - and it is time to break the
daily drinking habit.

So, last alc was finishing my champagne around 0015 01/01/21 -
there is no good beer left in the fridge to tempt me.

I was hankering for something warm after the ride in the rain last night,
but it was easy enough just to have some warm broth.

Now to get my gut straightened out. Another casualty of excess.

March 2021 will be 3 years.

I developed colitis back in 2015 so finally in 2018 I figured that alcohol can't be good for intestinal inflammation so I just stopped. Was strictly beer but would dab in quality tequilas and burbons.

I still had fun at weddings, parties and BBQ's. Still met up with OG @Madness for football and the fights all the time at the bar we like to go to... i just drank diet cokes or water.

Forgot if I saw this in a movie, read it in a book, or if it was told to me by a friend. Someone, somewhere trying to quit smoking smoked all remaining cigarettes except for one. Kept the last one as a reminder that it was ultimately his choice to smoke it or not.

Always thought that was an interesting approach to quitting something.

Just thought I'd add that as some encouragement for this thread. Maybe keep just one beer in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom