We have lost one of our own.

Wolfjon

Very sad two hear about these guys... life is to short sometimes. Condolences to both friends and family's..

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Because it word require at least a stress test or a Holter test.
Exactly. Most athlete cardiac deaths are related to electrical conduction. Routine physicals check for cholesterol, arterial blockage, and the typical causes of heart disease. Athletes typically have bradycardia, and usually slightly enlarged hearts but no atherosclerotic heart disease. You need a stress test to see how the electrical conduction holds up under high HR conditions and that’s not standard. But I’m not a doctor, just very interested the topic.

The Kalmyk

Exactly. Most athlete cardiac deaths are related to electrical conduction. Routine physicals check for cholesterol, arterial blockage, and the typical causes of heart disease. Athletes typically have bradycardia, and usually slightly enlarged hearts but no atherosclerotic heart disease. You need a stress test to see how the electrical conduction holds up under high HR conditions and that’s not standard. But I’m not a doctor, just very interested the topic.

Caught my interest. How often would you suggest getting a stress test done?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Coming up on double nickels and not in prime condition, this scares the crap out of me all the time.

serviceguy

When I was an athlete (even though a crappy one) we were tested at the beginning of every year, it was mandated by the sport federation ( Italy). Still, you can’t get tested for everything.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Mare

I had a blurb here about heart trouble that I had, but I deleted it cause this isn't the place for it. This is the place to simply remind you to enjoy every single day because you just never know. So sorry to hear about the men here who passed away. It's very sad.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Caught my interest. How often would you suggest getting a stress test done?

See a cardiologist. I’m in my 40s, family has a history of high blood pressure, I get high readings if I don’t take my shot of apple cider vinegar and I have a solid case of white coat syndrome (high BP at the docs office, normal at home). That’s what got me in the door. If you have readings that are slightly high ever, make an appointment with a cardiologist and they will stress test you as part of the baseline establishment procedures.

If you have normal BP, don’t know how to get in the door. Maybe eat really salty food for a week and get a reading that’s too high? Or just say, I’m not young and want to get a check?

Mike V went to my church. This is awful news.

Condolences to both families. Both are losses to the community.

Captain Brainstorm

I would talk to your doctor (I am not one). Insurance is going to need a reason to do it but if you have a good dialogue with your doctor that should be something they can help with. Here is a blog that’s educational (not medical advice)

https://www.drjohnm.org/the-mysterious-athletic-heart/

If you're over 40, get the stress test, it won't be that difficult for your Dr. to write the referral. The test itself doesn't take long, and you more or less get the results right away. If they see anything strange, then they'll refer you for a nuclear stress test. Definitely worth it for the piece of mind itself. As for the enlarged heart and atypical electrical conduction, that's more of an issue if you are/were an elite level athlete that had over-trained for years. I'm not a Dr. either, but have had extensive dialogue with my cardiologist and have undergone the above mentioned tests (not nuclear) because of my own specific issues.

Top Bottom