waywayonda can make you unpopular

herbn

Sundays' ride at wwy made me a bit unpopular. This is the ride i did a few weeks ago in 3hrs, it turned into 4+ with my followers. Starting on Hoefferin out of the ranger station ,for the free parking, we hit the new twisty single track to stay in the park and avoid the deteriorating farm bridges. Then through some of the old standby trails and over one of the berms to the new new(marked with just ribbons), after an intersection it starts to get really twisty and rocky, i started to lose my following,one of them claims that this was a "29er" style trail,whatever that means,sure the 9er will roll over the rocks a little easier but it's also twisty and the acc/decellerations,,,back on the road, a rt and a left and maybe another rt and we're down by the back pond and riding pickle,rattlesnake,pines and to buddah .At the road crossing on buddah they mutanied(sort of) "we're taking this road (not buddah) it's quicker" i didn't recognize it right away but then it came back ,we used to ride up that "road" on our way to clinton reservoir ;ages ago,millenia, it seems like ,in a galaxy far far away. had to walk the bike through one ugly looking swampy puddle,but then when i was sure my followers knew the way,i opend up my roadmile legs and we were now on different rides , i took the single track down to the lake and was halfway back down the road when i realized they must be behind me and i should check on them, i rode back on the fireroad in from the furnace until it started to really steepen, then i thought they had to have been in front of me and i went all the way back,up the road to the ranger station only to see their cars still there. OH f@ck they're still out! so it was back down the road and almost back to the gravel and there they were. At 20 years of riding waywayonda i can still get twisted up a bit and lost. I actually like that. Road training makes getting lost not really a scary or uncomfortable thing. Waywayonda has an odd number of out and back trails,take hoef out and red dot back,you're down by the lake,take the other single track out and you have to go hoef back to your car,but you havn't been out back yet(pick,rattle,pines, buddah) buddah sets you up for taking hoef back if you do all that you're in the 20+ miles range(we did 16) and alot of that is single track. I would like to try an all encompassing waywayonda ride, with the stretch over the clinton resi down to the rifle range ect ect 25-30 miles.

Last edited:

monteverest

not sure what level the other riders were but lookout -> pickle -> rattlesnake -> pine -> buddha -> splitrock is a day for me. did this loop (sorta) on saturday and came out nearly suffering from heat exhaustion. my nose was scenllucating: smelled mello yellow, maple syrup, and all manners of sweet stuff as i got out of the park

Sundays' ride at wwy made me a bit unpopular. This is the ride i did a few weeks ago in 3hrs, it turned into 4+ with my followers. Starting on Hoefferin out of the ranger station ,for the free parking, we hit the new twisty single track to stay in the park and avoid the deteriorating farm bridges. Then through some of the old standby trails and over one of the berms to the new new(marked with just ribbons), after an intersection it starts to get really twisty and rocky, i started to lose my following,one of them claims that this was a "29er" style trail,whatever that means,sure the 9er will roll over the rocks a little easier but it's also twisty and the acc/decellerations,,,back on the road, a rt and a left and maybe another rt and we're down by the back pond and riding pickle,rattlesnake,pines and to buddah .At the road crossing on buddah they mutanied(sort of) "we're taking this road (not buddah) it's quicker" i didn't recognize it right away but then it came back ,we used to ride up that "road" on our way to clinton reservoir ;ages ago,millenia, it seems like ,in a galaxy far far away. had to walk the bike through one ugly looking swampy puddle,but then when i was sure my followers knew the way,i opend up my roadmile legs and we were now on different rides , i took the single track down to the lake and was halfway back down the road when i realized they must be behind me and i should check on them, i rode back on the fireroad in from the furnace until it started to really steepen, then i thought they had to have been in front of me and i went all the way back,up the road to the ranger station only to see their cars still there. OH f@ck they're still out! so it was back down the road and almost back to the gravel and there they were. At 20 years of riding waywayonda i can still get twisted up a bit and lost. I actually like that. Road training makes getting lost not really a scary or uncomfortable thing. Waywayonda has an odd number of out and back trails,take hoef out and red dot back,you're down by the lake,take the other single track out and you have to go hoef back to your car,but you havn't been out back yet(pick,rattle,pines, buddah) buddah sets you up for taking hoef back if you do all that you're in the 20+ miles range(we did 16) and alot of that is single track. I would like to try an all encompassing waywayonda ride, with the stretch over the clinton resi down to the rifle range ect ect 25-30 miles.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Rode there Saturday and let's just say hit many of the "southern" trails. Ran into Eileen, de00304 (among others) on the trails. For as remote as Waway can feel sometimes, the park was teeming with riders.

RNG1

That was painful to read but I stuck it out cause I saw you were from Cresskill.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have never ridden there, but I am dying to check it out. Especially now that there are 29er specific trails there.

RNG1

Maybe that is what that bear was trying to tell me and Kirt that time, that we weren't allowed on that trail because we were on our FS 26rs....:hmmm:

Panhead

Good to see you had a fun ride. Lots of people think Waway is just the race course plus a few more trails. I've been wanting to go out the back of Waway down into Watershed and run the power lines to Jungle, just don't have the time to put it together.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good to see you had a fun ride. Lots of people think Waway is just the race course plus a few more trails. I've been wanting to go out the back of Waway down into Watershed and run the power lines to Jungle, just don't have the time to put it together.

Name a date and let's make it happen.

I have a 29er so we should be good on all the trails.

Panhead

Name a date and let's make it happen.

I have a 29er so we should be good on all the trails.
I'll have to check the calender when I get home. Off the top of my head this month is shot in the ass already.

Do you still have all the OCD fueled ride data from your explores? IIRC in order to make an offroad epic all that was needed was to connect MD to the trails on Ridge Road in Jefferson and that would be a clean shot to JH, even into RW/Sterling Forrest.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions