Waywayanda

J

joanqs

I don't know where to put this post. Sorry Norm.

I know this topic is tired but I thought I would bring it up anyway. I rode Wayway yesterday and today and had several unusual bear encounters.

Yesterday, I came upon a mom and two cubs. The cubs were in two trees on either side of the trail, while the mom was on the ground. She did not like the fact I came between her and her cubs and proceeded to charge me. I fled, quickly, no eye contact, without looking back (I guess this is somewhat usual)

However, today I rode and came upon three different bears. The first, on Cherry Ridge. This medium size bear was in the middle of the trail. I sort of yelled, "Coming through Bear." He then proceeded to get up on his hind legs, to ward me off. I waited making various somewhat disturbing noises (I was trying to appear tough), but the bear stood his ground. OK, I'll take Turkey Ridge.

Second encounter on Turkey Ridge. This bear was enormous. Two feet on the side of the trail..would not move. I decided to take my chances and ride by. I did not look at the bear, don't know if he followed.

The Third encounter, a baby bear on the Red trail. She's high on the rocks, a good 25 feet from the trail. I don't even bother with the noises and decide to ride by. She starts to chase me. I was let's say, very nervous at this point. I just kept peddling until I hit the park.

Has anyone else noticed large quatities of bear that aren't the slightest bit afraid of humans? I am pretty used to the bear, I ride Wayway all the time/ but I've never seen so many, or ones with such territorial aggressive behavior. Is it me? Is it the season?

xc62701

I think it's just this park. I've had a relatively large bear be WAY too interested in me after I almost hit it. I scared it and it ran a little bit and looked at me. I kept yelling and holding the bike up and it kept coming closer to me. So I turn and rode a little ways(uphill mind you) and then stopped and looked back to see it still walking and following me. At this point I had a bigger gap so I just got on and took off in the opposite direction. They just seem to be very used to humans and can be a little scary at times.

Panhead

carry a shotgun in your camelback.

A little tough to get it out quick, I prefer the snub nose .32 in my jersey pocket.:D

I was in Waway last night also, hit the campground at around 6:45 did the first red over the mountain down to Nature Jims bridge, Cherry Ridge, Fishermans on to Turkey Ridge back to Cherry Ridge, Laurel Pond to Sitting Bear and then out. I only saw 4 big deer, I think I have only seen 2 bears in there. I have a mom and 4 cubs living in the lot next to my house, and they don't even hit my garbage, says alot for fine Irish cooking.

scm80

I’ve never been eaten by a bear.

I’m no expert but, I’ve never been eaten by a bear.

The eye contact thing… every time you see one of those tv programs telling you how to survive a wild beast encounter they always seem to tell you no I contact. I don’t agree, think about it if you are a bear and some animal was walking a few feet from you, and it made no eye contact, no acknowledgement what so ever you would think easy food!!!!! I don’t recommend staring down the bear that would be (stupid) a challenge, but some brief eye contact acknowledging the large hungry beast has worked for me. And remember if you start talking to an animal they won’t understand a single thing you say, they will understand body language and eye contact. You see them they see you.

Yelling at the bear might not be a bad idea if it’s already being aggressive, however if you start the aggression:2guns:, you probably don’t want the bear to call your bluff:scared:. I would try not to use that tactic until you have to. Just because a bear stands up on its back legs doesn’t mean it’s being aggressive. Remember you came up on the bear (ie surprised), if the bear stands up it may just be saying look at me I big don’t try anything. Yelling, pushing forward before the bear takes a step away from you, or waving your arms could be perceived as aggression.

Fleeing as quickly as possible will kick in a chase reflex in most animals, try running from a dog that you don’t know (don’t it may not end well). Moving at relaxed pace seems a better idea. I would also look back as you pass just to keep tabs. I think it also helps to convey you’re not fleeing, just continuing on your way.

As far as the cubs and mother bears go, just try to stay out of the way!!! If your riding with friends just remember you only need to be faster than the slowest friend (aka sacrifice).:hysterica

Like is said I’m no expert, I’ve been challenged a number of times and have not yet been eaten. When riding by myself I bring a can of bear mace strapped to the outside of my pack, just in case. I’ve never needed it, and the mace can has survived a few crashes that have gouged and dented the metal can.

Every bear and every situation is different, so think slow, stay calm, and enjoy the experience (it might be your last):hmmm:. It might take some time for the bear to surrender the space to you. I’ve had to hang out for 5 min, not more than 25 feet from the bear untill it moved off the trail up at allamuchy.

J

joanqs

I used to carry bear mace, and a 100 decibel horn that attached to the handlebars with a line that ran to a water bottle shaped air container that you put in your water bottle cage. Does that make sense? You blew up the horn with your bike pump and could adjust the decibels. I loved that horn, but it broke.

Actually, my bike fantasy is attaching some sort of flame thrower that when ignited burns just what is directly in front of you-bear, trees, deer, slower riders, etc... Does REI carry those?

pinkshirtphotos

mtbnj.jpg

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Even 5 yrs ago i found that the bruins all around the Vernon area were getting fearless. At Diablo i was inside 10 feet twice w/ a bear that would not back off.I had hand tools though and just kept eye contact and kept flannking to the side using the terrain to get a safer position.Very scary. At Waway a couple years ago i think i too saw mr ENORMOUS and had to take my front wheel out and flank him also cause he would not disengage and i was in semi tight laurel and I refused to turn my back on him. I found thru my experience that constant eye contact works.Stare at a deer 15 ft away then shut your eyes for 3 seconds and see what happens.I would never give a bear that kind of time........

Top Bottom