Waywayanda

Judge Smails

Waywayanda is often the forgotten park in Northern NJ, I think Allamuchy and Ringwood get more use and notoriety - and I'm guilty of this as well. For me Waywayanda is pretty far out of the way and I don't know the trails there as well as other parks so I only end up riding there about once or twice a year.

I just did a great ride up at Waywayanda this weekend and I'd urge everyone to try to make an effort to ride up there. There are a lot of newish trails that I hadn't ridden before and we've had some pretty dry conditions so the trails up there that are usually under water in the lowlands are in very good shape. The new trails were so good that I'm going to have to make an effort to get up there more often.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you have a guide or did you wing it? GPS data? Map? Read the moss on the trees?

pinkshirtphotos

waway is not a place to just "go ride" when your alone. i will never ride waway unless i have someone who knows the trail system, to easy to get lost up there.

Judge Smails

Oh, we definitely had a guide - one of our buddy's lives down the road from the park. I can sort of find my way around that place and one or two of the guys I ride with regularly know it pretty well, but like any place in the area it helps to get a tour from an expert.

One of the guys in our group GPS'd the ride, I'll see if I can get it from him. Again, I don't know the park well enough to try to lay out the route, I was just trying to give this place some love, since I think people don't know it as well as Allamuchy or Ringwood and as a result don't ride it.

If you ever see a group ride posted for Waywayanda do yourself a favor and check it out. It's worth it, that's all I'm saying.

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG
Judge glad you like the park. Our group Black Bear Cycling does the majority of the TM at teh park and we also promote the H2H race in May. I know alot of people are afraid of getting lost. It is as you say the forgotten park except by those of us that ride it all the time to get ready for the technical races such as the 24 and the Chainstetcher this weekend although I am not sure even my ability to ride alot of the stuff at Wawayanda will have me ready to ride some of the stuff at Blue Mountain.

ytc100

I rode wayway for the first time a week or so ago and was not terribly impressed. Part of that has to do with the fact that I followed someone's gps course around the place and this particular rider seemed to have a like for fire roads of which there are many. I did find some good single track on my own though and I'm assuming I'm missing more. I would like to get to know this place better if it's really comparable to Allamuchy.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jeff,

We'd love to have you guys offer up some group rides up there. I know group rides are a total mixed bag and/or crap shoot at times. But it would be cool to have a person/group willing to lead those of us who are blind to the park around.

T

tlnj

Loved it!

I went to Wayway 3x this past weekend, since I was staying in the area. This is a special park! It's a beautiful place, and though it's a little less technical than ringwood, you can't beat the "wilderness vibe" you get there. Sitting Bear is now one of my all-time favorite trails (Off of Laurel Pond trail on left if going southbound from Cherry Ridge). There are also plenty of "secret " trails to explore, including a real nice one off the western shore of Lookout Lake. That trail will actually lead you to more secret trails over by the pipeline.

As far as navigating the place, I thought that it's very hard to get lost. All trails are clearly marked. Plus, most of the trails go north/south, so you shouldn't get lose your bearings that easily. However, if you're going to explore the pipeline area, I suggest brining a GPS (which helped me around there).

Helmets off to Black Bear for great trail maintenance.

J

joanqs

omg...

um.. please anyone riding Wawayanda PM me. I live right across from the park and am always looking for riding partners. :getsome: Plus I know the trail system pretty well, dammit, :)

Top Bottom