Waywayanda SP Trail Directory

Kaleidopete

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Newest trail information from Official Map, see above links to view more or download

Tral Facts 2015 small.jpg

onetracker

What do trail conditions look like at Wayway in terms of trees down? I have been out of the loop since my house got crushed by a tree and we live at the Residence Inn.

huffster

I took this ride on Friday. https://www.strava.com/activities/1579991667

The trail I refer to as "Lower White" coming off Cherry Ridge, has a bit of a mess on it. This is the unmarked trail that connects into White Dot. I didn't take any pictures, but there are a few trees closer to the Cherry Ridge end that could use a chainsaw.

On White Dot between "Hemlock and Load" and "Old Coal" there are several trees. I had to dismount a couple times to get around/over. So, again a chainsaw would be handy in that stretch.

The whole rest of this route was pretty clear.

A couple other areas that I recall still needing some chainsaw love were:
  • A few trees on the south end of Banker, between "Cherry Ridge" and "Cedar Swamp"
  • "Red Dot" from Cherry Ridge to Nature Jim's Bridge.

Kaleidopete

I took this ride on Friday. https://www.strava.com/activities/1579991667

The trail I refer to as "Lower White" coming off Cherry Ridge, has a bit of a mess on it. This is the unmarked trail that connects into White Dot. I didn't take any pictures, but there are a few trees closer to the Cherry Ridge end that could use a chainsaw.

On White Dot between "Hemlock and Load" and "Old Coal" there are several trees. I had to dismount a couple times to get around/over. So, again a chainsaw would be handy in that stretch.

The whole rest of this route was pretty clear.

A couple other areas that I recall still needing some chainsaw love were:
  • A few trees on the south end of Banker, between "Cherry Ridge" and "Cedar Swamp"
  • "Red Dot" from Cherry Ridge to Nature Jim's Bridge.
that Cherry Ridge to Cedar Swamp is clear, they used that yesterday for XTERRA

Kaleidopete

Trail Improvements in Progress at Terrace Pond in Wawaywanda State Park

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trail Improvements in Progress at Terrace Pond in Wawaywanda State Park

We saw a crew of 10ish people at the P7 parking area on Clinton Rd two weeks ago and thanked them for the trail work. I look forward to seeing some improvements and new trails :)

Kaleidopete

New blazes and a new name "Lake Loop", incorporating Little Bear. Sitting Bear, South End, Pumphouse.
Trail Conference is out there marking now. 1100 new blazes. This is because many people were getting
lost trying to go around the lake. They just couldn't easily follow the existing maps, so these new blazes
will further assist them.
Dsc05094.jpg

Sitting Bear, off Laurel

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

These are the new markings
Dsc05099.jpg

This is the old way
Dsc05100.jpg

It looks like they cut Sitting Bear a little short, eliminating the loop back. They just cut it across that section.

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG
Yea had A discussion with the park and Trail Conference apparently people can’t figure if you follow trails around the lake you either keep taking lefts or rights depending on which direction you are going To go around the lake. So they did away with the name South End completely and renamed most of Sitting Bear the lake loop.

chris12453

Well that just sounds dumb. I wasn’t aware it was so hard to figure out. Next we will have to provide a virtual tour so they know how to walk it!

sundaydoug

I run into hikers all the time carrying no map, usually somewhere on Cherry Ridge Rd. They all ask the same thing. "How do we get back to the parking lot by the lake?"

Good to see that they're making an effort to make trails easier to follow for people that don't think to bring a map with them. It's amazing how many people wander into the woods without having some kind of idea where they're going.

Kaleidopete

I looked at Trailforks today and see that someone renamed the appropriately named Ridge Trail to,
Sip Of Sunshine! I wonder why that happened?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions