Waywayanda recap and results

I was hoping someone had the results. I'm curious myself. I couldn't stick around because I had to chase Utah out of the parking area so he could get to the birthday party.

I'll post up a recap tomorrow. Short: I rode clean, stayed upright, and had fun. Finished deep in the pack.

Mandi and Robin on the podium. Big Congrats!
(lifted from fb - ymmv)

945097_10151558899323954_1446630694_n.jpg

Loved this race!!!! I think this might be the first time I've raced here that it was dry?! :p The course was my style of racing - some rocks, some climbs, and a lot of fun!

Had a blast - managed to stay upright, no bloody knees (this is a first for me here), and no mechanicals. Oh, and I finished 3rd! (thanks Al for the photo).

Nice work Ladies!!! Robin, im glad you finally had a clean race and no flats/mechanicals for a change.

Steve, nice work yesterday

For me it was my first time racing pro/open....in short (ill save "in long" for my blog) it was a great day. Finished 10th of 17 or so starters. Beat a few people who I have never come close to in a race and left feeling good about my decision to move up.

but I finally move up to the big leagues and no single digit number...wtf? :D
20130505_085124.jpg

Another Podium!

3rd Place Cat 2 50+

Only two minutes off the lead this time(as opposed to six at Chain Stretcher)

Made some small adjustments to pre-race hydration and nutrition; no cramps and no bonking. Still had some steam left in me but getting through the logjams of walkers in some of the tech was challenging especially towards the end on Sitting Bear.

Starting to get to know the guys in my class too- nice bunch of fellows. As we lined up one guy was telling me he was really a cyclocrosser and just doing this for fun. I thought I'd be riding around him for sure at some point because I get off my bike ONLY as a last resort. I've cleared everything on the course during my pre-rides no problem. So, during one of the first clusterfucks I'm working alternate lines and who comes running past? :eek:Mr. Cyclocross.... I never caught him again. Lesson learned I guess.

I enjoyed this race alot and came through without a scratch which is pretty unusual for me.
Black Bear and Jeff put alot of work into this so kudos to them. I know there were issues with some of the results, but I think they straightened it out quickly.

Was having a good ride, happy with where I was and how I felt. Just after Jim's bridge though, thought I got through a little chunky section then all of the sudden wham, hit the deck really hard. Kept going but pain really started kicking in. Started going too slow through the rocks, which is exactly what not to do. Went OTB and tweaked a finger and bailed just before the 2nd lap. Given my profession I think I should take up golf. Either way, off the bike for a bit.
Hey, great day and great course though. Congrats to all my friends and hope to see you out there soon. Fore!

hey, 1 thing though. Can't say I liked starting CAT 2 right after 1. Not a passing friendly course. I think a drag not only for those getting passed but for the fast CAT 2 guys in chases having to get around injured old men like me. A 30-60 minute gap would have made a big difference.

Last edited:
Yeah Mike!!

I was telling Pearl this was the first race where I wanted to keep riding afterwards. Such a fun course & the conditions were perfect. End of the day I left with a medal and a serious sun burn!

yay! mtbnj ladies on the podium. did you celebrate with tacos? do you want to? :D

edit: choco tacos don't count pearl!

20th out of 26. Cat 2, 30-39

Damn. I'm always amazed that a few minutes can mean half a dozen spots or more in a XC race. It just shows that losing a few pounds or doing a little focused training would show big gains in the results.

I was a little intimidated about the larger field now that they combined 30-34 and 35-39 together, but once we started i actually enjoyed having more people around on the trails. I mean, i can ride by myself at any time.

I felt good. Clean and smooth. Didn't hold anyone up and made a couple clean passes. The end of the course came up a little quicker than i anticipated. I had a little gas left in the tank, but I'm not sure i could have caught anyone ahead of me as everyone was walking the last could rock gardens.

I know the loop was a little different than 2012, but my average speed was still a half MPH faster than last year.

Hopefully it's nice and dry for Jungle.

Congrats to Mandi on the win. And to Kirt and Utah for having the cojones to bump up to Pro.

first race of the year for me, ran two races last year finishing mid pack both times.

this year ended up on the podium first time out this year(2nd place), got to meet utah for a bit on the ride to the registration tent. Decided to sign up for this race last minute (i signed up friday around lunch time), and went out for a light ride friday night and ended up feeling like crap. took saturday off woke up early on sunday to get there on time, ended up having a nightmare of a drive up there (i wont go into it and its not related to biking). Got there later than expected, signed up warmed up hung out and then lined up to start. started out and was beat off the line (anyone have pictures of the cat3 19-29 group starting????) ended up in 2nd, made a pass on the first slight uphill section and took the lead, had to work very hard to burn out too soon, and managed to hold a nice lead through the first half of the course, somewhere just after that i dropped a chain going up a hill and was passed by a group of 4 one of which was in my age group. couldnt get back together in time to catch him, but finished the race uneventfully from there.

Final lap time 34:26
place 2nd
cat3 19-29

Had a rough day 4th in cat 2 ss.Got caught up in first hill pile up/mechanical issues.Then pushed way to hard had a few crashes.Still had fun and was happy with my time.

I had a fun day being the carrot for Utah. I was 9th of 17 in the driest conditions I've ever seen at Wawayanda. I also have to say that was the definition of a full suspension course. I found myself wishing for one a few times yesterday. Good racing to all who were out there!

Gotta love Waway. Smacked rocks and had to fix chain drops 3x but still finished 10th in 40-49....bodes well for the races to come.

Best part was changing spots on Sitting Bear with Steve Emm - gave him a good scare with a finish right on his wheel....

Going to ride even faster at Jungle :getsome:

My group (Cat 1, 30-39) was pretty small, only 11 or 12 at the most. We were all relatively close going into the single track. But 5 minutes in, all I remember was carnage. People going OTB, the sounds of flat tires, and a lot of cursing. I wasn’t too aggressive here and intentionally left a space of about 25 feet in front of me open. There were too many rocks and obstacles that could sneak up on you and end your day. I played it conservative and picked my way through.
By the time I got to the red dot climb I was in traffic with slow guys from younger groups and fast guys from the older groups. I had no clue where I was with respect to my group.
I just rode my own race which meant making sure I stayed on the bike in the tech and keeping my HR at threshold in the smooth (the power I actually put out varied).
I rode a super clean first lap and don’t think I dabbed at all. I wasn’t overly fast, but felt well enough going into lap #2.
When I got on the first climb on lap 2, I saw Mr Stro and he was probably a 25 seconds in front of me. I never would have guessed that was 2nd place and I was currently in 3rd. I kept seeing him but never caught him and ended up getting passed by another guy in my cat. Right after Nature Jim’s bridge, a guy complimented me on how smooth I rode it, then said peace out and proceeded to ride away from me like I was standing still. I tried to keep with him but we were still 4 miles from the finish and I didn’t want to completely blow up.
I rode the new ST and sitting bear very smooth once again. I felt some guys creeping up and pushed me enough to avoid letting them pass. This kept me motivated enough to cramp. And that always means a good workout, right?
I ended up 4th.

Back
Top Bottom