Wayway wrap up

Hats off to Jeff and the Blackbear Crew for a great race. Unfortunately I didn't have a great race. First lap I felt pretty good and was mixing it up till halfway through the second lap when it all fell apart. I didn't take in enough food and water and by the time I tried to catch up it was all over Johnny.

On the first lap I started to cramp which I knew was a bad sign so I dialed it back. Lap 2 started to feel the power fall off and I knew I was in for a survival day. Almost ran into a bear at the end of lap two. That was amusing. Lap 3 I was reduced to thinking about just finishing. I didn't hold anyone back. The final little hill I was gonna walk until I saw Zack from Campmor sneaking up and then I had to race again....dangit! So I got on and killed the hill and sprinted to the finish to hold him off by 1 second.

I finished 7th of 11 in Expert 19-29, too bad 3 DNF'd so I really finished 7th of 8. I guess the bad races really make you appreciate the good ones. I know my mistakes and it's not gonna happen next time. Perhaps the 100 miler and the Tour de Lake didn't help towards my recovery for this race either.... :D

I had a great time... A Nimrods tale...

Lap one, Made the first Bridge:p (that was fun) The rock climb, in the pack... didn't assert myself when it came time to, first year back up here in (about 10 years) , just have fun, don't get in the way...... caught a rock freaking square with the front tire... the bike stopped, and I didn't = Stem shot to the Groin . Lost (I don't know) 5 minutes there.... and trust me... I had no confidence (Zero/Zip/nada) on anything the rest of the ride. Do have a nice big bruise right at the panty line though

Let’s see, besides nearly castrating myself, also dropped the gel flask, and ran out of water at the 2 hr mark.(had delusions of being done about 2:10).......

Throw in the fact that Waway is a very tough and demanding course; I’m telling you guys… I feel like a Rape Victim.

So me and my Susie Home Maker Panties limped home in a shattered 2:33, probably last place, but that’s fine, welcome to Expert Racing!

Seeking redemption at Tymor

Black Bear Cycling would like to thank all participants that raced todays Spring Cleaning race. We hope you had a good time and enjoyed yourself. Conditions improved as the day went on and it turned out to be a great day.

We hope you liked the shirts and prizes given out. Each year we try to improve the event and we like to think we put on a professional type of event for a grass roots club.

Again thanks to all.

Jeff Stickle
Black Bear Cycling

Jeff,
You and the rest of the Black Bear team put on the best race by far. Everything started within a minute of scheduled time. The shirts are great and the prizes for the winners were kick ass! You guys should put on a class for the rest of the promoters! We can only hope the rest try to out do you guys.

Ditto on the compliments from everyone else. This was by far, the best run event I have ever attended. And the t-shirts are awesome!

Let’s see, besides nearly castrating myself, also dropped the gel flask, and ran out of water at the 2 hr mark.(had delusions of being done about 2:10).......

Were you racing sport? If so, I wound up running over your flask and it squeaked like a doggy chew toy! :rofl:

Thats awesome! Today was my first race too, beginner 15-18. I came in second with a time of 44:49. The first place beat me by one second with a time of 44:48. We sped into the finish line neck and neck.

Awesome job! I think you battled it out with my friends son Kyle, who was also out there racing xc for his first time. Great lap time for you both. I hope you will check out the NJ state HS champs at Kittatinny next Saturday. That is a really fun event:
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=5960

2467737448_72d5a3ba04.jpg

My day started very early, as Jess and I wanted to get there early to have plenty of information available for racers about park closures and paydirt. I hadn't planned to race but brought my bike just incase. It was great to have a chance to cheer on many of the racers that always cheer me on, plus many of the new racers starting out. I saw shaggz crossing the finish line with a big smile on his face! The weather turned out to be beautiful, and the course was in great shape and very fun.

Mtbnj'ers: glancing aft's girlfriend and sharose...

2466911339_b62b8670de.jpg

11 yr old Veronica, winner of the jr beginner class, studying the flyer for the kids race next Saturday:

2467737394_1906f271e6.jpg

Needless to say, once I saw the sport women coming through on their first lap all smiles, and then the sun came out, I saddled up and registered to race myself. A good time out there too!

Had a decent race, 5th I think. Was with the lead 3 for a while on lap 1 but when we got to the masses of people in the rocks I couldn't keep up. After about an hour I started to fade quite a bit. No amusing stories of bears or anything, though I did battle it out on the last lap with some guy who I ended up beating by probably seconds.

Good to see a whole boat load of people out there. Well run race, timely starts, quick results, nice course. Now if only they could weight down those faster guys with lead or something...:rolleyes:

It felt great to get that first expert race. My brain was temporarily disconnected at the start. Sometimes its not good to feel good, which I did. That lead me to believe I should chase the front runners, which I did. After 15 minutes of that, I thought that might be a mistake, which it was. Upon crossing the S/F on lap one I had that look of snot, drool and general confusion. Regained my composure passed a few in the single track on lap 2, lost 1 spot on lap three, drew to within 5 bikes of two maybe three others with 1.5 mi to go, but couldn't seal the deal. It felt like I was running right around 10th of 20 or so riders

So far my best experience in my 4 race career (at least in the last 10/15 years). Black Bear has it down, cool shirts too. Learned about some of my weaknesses and hope to have them tweaked for LM. Lots of room for improvement, which I will do.

Thanks too all for the support during the laps.

I did really well for my first race. Did 19-29 Sport, got 3rd place. I woke up that morning with a sore throat too (and now I am completely sick unfortunately).

That first lap was painful, I never knew what to expect and got tired pretty early on. This led to some really sloppy bike handling skills, no bad falls though, just some stumbles here and there.

After the first lap, Jim hootin' and hollerin' at me got me pumped up so I was able to keep a good pace. I had no clue where I was in the field at all, so I had no idea I got third until the results were posted. Definitely had a good time out there! Now I have to shake this cold and get ready for Tymor.

Oh, that flask was probably my buddy Chris'. He was racing SS Sport.

Back
Top Bottom