Wawayanda tomorrow(10/11) morning at 8am

xc62701

If anyone is interested I'm looking to do a ride through the good stuff of Wawayanda at 8am tomorrow. I'd like to get in a 3-4 hour ride and check out stuff besides the race loop. It's all guarded by the black bear mafia(the furry critters - no reference to Stick/Foco's crew;)) so it'll be interesting - almost guaranteed to see at least one. I'll be going in through Cherry ridge off of Clinton road. Come for the whole ride or join for a little bit - whatever. Not many stops but casual pace. Should be fun.

monteverest

I'll join for 1 - 2 hours, possibly more if my stamina can hold. I'm coming from the other side of Cherry Ridge, off Canistear. We can decide where to meet once other riders have chimed in?

xc62701

We could probably meet at the intersection of double pond and cherry ridge where the gate is(used to be) at say 8:30?

kush

2hr drive - but i always wanted to ride the place. i'll be there. can you post GPS coords or google map of where you're meeting? I see double pond but not where it crosses cherry ridge.

Tool

We could probably meet at the intersection of double pond and cherry ridge where the gate is(used to be) at say 8:30?

Hey Ryan....you mean Laurel Pond and Cherry Ridge. :)

BTW, just a warning....
West Milford is having their annual Autumn Lights Festival (ALF) all day tomorrow. They are supposedly closing Union Valley Rd from the Shoprite to Bearfort Rd.....5am to 7pm. Anyone planning on cutting through West Milford will have to follow a detour to get up the mountain.....unless you take Clinton Road from Rt 23 instead.

http://www.suburbantrends.com/NC/0/1224.html

Tony

monteverest

2hr drive - but i always wanted to ride the place. i'll be there. can you post GPS coords or google map of where you're meeting? I see double pond but not where it crosses cherry ridge.

here's a link to google maps that shows where laurel pond and cherry ridge (tool's right - the old gate is by laurel pond and cherry ridge). its fire trail access to the spot. best bet is to either enter the park through the main gate on warwick turnpike and we'll meet you in the parking lot or meet one of us. another option is parking along a fireroad ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....164957,-74.443188&spn=0.016703,0.039525&z=15

i'll pm you to nail down a meeting.

Last edited:

xc62701

BTW, just a warning....
West Milford is having their annual Autumn Lights Festival (ALF) all day tomorrow. They are supposedly closing Union Valley Rd from the Shoprite to Bearfort Rd.....5am to 7pm. Anyone planning on cutting through West Milford will have to follow a detour to get up the mountain.....unless you take Clinton Road from Rt 23 instead.

Tony

Good note. Yea stay out of the heart of WM. The best way in is through Clinton Road. Don't go near Macopin or Union Valley. That festival is going to shut a few roads down.

xc62701

BTW, just a warning....

Tony

Exactly thanks for the correction.

xc62701

BTW, just a warning....

Tony

Tony are you gonna join?

kush

mmm

Wawayanda was outstanding.

xc62701 (ryan), matt, monteverest and me started around 8:45am today. About 3 minutes into the ride ryan gets a flat and jess (monteverest) destroys his der. flat gets fixed, unfortunately jesse hikes 1.5 miles home. No more mechanicals after that.

We did total slightly over 3 hours, about 16 miles. Matt you bailed before the best stuff I think, not to make you kick yourself, but yea, that secret trail was all that and more.

We talked a lot about bears, lots of build up, but sadly none sighted. :)

Ryan - thanks for showing me around. Great ride. Great trails. Nice fall colors. All good.

monteverest

@kush - glad to hear it was worth the 2hr drive

got home and found the spare hangar in my basement - d@#m. i was really looking forward to riding that "new' trail. next time ...

MATT9er

wawayanda

Thought you guys were gonna bag finding the secret trail.Oh well you showed enough good trail today to keep me busy for a while.Kush and Ryan lets do it again.

xc62701

Wawayanda was outstanding.

xc62701 (ryan), matt, monteverest and me started around 8:45am today. About 3 minutes into the ride ryan gets a flat and jess (monteverest) destroys his der. flat gets fixed, unfortunately jesse hikes 1.5 miles home. No more mechanicals after that.

We did total slightly over 3 hours, about 16 miles. Matt you bailed before the best stuff I think, not to make you kick yourself, but yea, that secret trail was all that and more.

We talked a lot about bears, lots of build up, but sadly none sighted. :)

Ryan - thanks for showing me around. Great ride. Great trails. Nice fall colors. All good.

You didn't see the bear??? Matt can back me up on this one. By one of the swamps we came up on one that scampered off to the right. Guess you just missed it.

Top Bottom