Wawayanda, Sunday May 6 (My First Race)

ArmyOfNone

So with next sunday now right around the corner, there are about 13 questions/thoughts running through my head. A bit of nervous anticipation. Im hoping not to get screwed at work bc i will be working the night before and it is "cinco de mayo" (please keep you fingers crossed everyone).

How long is the race loop?
Who is racing? What class? What class would be best for me?
Plans on commuting north? Carpool?
Pre- Race/Warm up routine?

I ran xc in high school, so i will try to draw on some of that experience in preparation. I know it will be a great time. Just looking for some pointers from those w/ experience.

Thanks!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd suggest beginner but the downside is that you only get 1 lap for your entrance fee.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
$40? Damn. Yeah I can't blame you. I don't know Wawayanda at all but as I understand it, it's a bit technical. Don't blow yourself up in the first 5 minutes which is a common mistake to make in any race.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Def,sport.Beginner shouldn't even exist cause like you say it's not even worth the effort tripwise.I think I'll go wit and maybe they''ll mass start the sport class and we can roll out together.I usually just sit at the start and let em all go cause winning isn't as fun as passing,stuffing,elbowing etc.Sometimes i really miss my dirtbike..........................................................

anrothar

entirely thrilled
fred you're definitely sport class worthy. your skills and endurance far exceed that of what i would consider a beginner. i'm not saying you'll win, i don't know, but you'll be much more in your element. similar pacing strategy to highschool xc, so definitely keep that in mind. be sure to warm up before the start as well.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Lots of luck AON ! I am real excited for you. The first race is awesome!

I only entered my first race bc all my riding buddies were racing and I had no one to ride with that day. I had no expectations, and the silly girl I am, I was afraid to pass anyone bc I didn'y know what the passsing rules were. So I rode this poor ladies wheel til she asked me to pass her. We went back and forth and I felt so great that I rode this scary downhil that I always used to walk. Anyway I had sooo much fun and after the first race, I couldn't stop talking about it. I was hooked.

Once hooked, you will have new challenges to chase. All good stuff.

And Yes, good idea to warm up and get the heart rate up a few times before the race start.

Have fun.
Ellen:)

Glancing Aft

I'll be up there racing sport male 19- 29 with an orange Cannondale Rush. Feel free to say hi! But no passing me ;) :p

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
*Warm up: The start will be very fast, so you need to be ready to go all-out at the gun until you settle into a sustainable pace.

*Pre ride: At least the first mile or two of the course, the entire thing if time permits. At the very least, you want to be aware of what's ahead when you're blasting off at the start, particularly how long it is till the singletrack, because it's a lot easier to pass on doubletrack/fire road.

*Passing/Giving Trail: Everybody has their own thing with this, but you should be aware of how to deal with other riders when you're going by them or they're breathing down your neck. Communication helps a lot.

*Food/Hydration/etc.: Stick with your usual pre-ride routine. Don't use a race as the first trial of new food or some fancy new crack-enhanced drink mix.

*Equipment: Give your bike a good once-over. Don't put new stuff on the bike w/o riding it before the race. Make sure you've got all the things you may need on the trail to ride out a broken bike, should something occur.

Have fun!

ArmyOfNone

Thanks for the all good wishes and tips.

I wasnt sure what to expect for the start but i guess now i know what is to come.

I have been trying hard to use little to no food during training for the last couple of weeks. I did a 2.5 hour mtb ride on one gel and yesterdays ride w/ no food at all. I know i will not be able to stop so i will eat as normal before the race and maybe will empty a couple of gels into a small water bottle w/ some water. That is about my only real concern.

My only expectation of sunday is to have a really good time and do the best i can. :D

orange rush eh? Not sure about passing ya but a welcome face to ride along with will surely be nice.

Thanks again!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did a 2.5 hour mtb ride on one gel and yesterdays ride w/ no food at all.

What's that expression? Youth is wasted on the young?

My piece of advice: No matter what happens, the fate of the world doesn't depend on the race. I find that the most memorable times in life are when you completely screw something up. If everything in life went to plan nothing would be very exciting now, would it?

Having said that I recommend a breakfast of about 10,000 calories from Taco Bell and 8-10 cups of coffee.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
this is just xc right? sport class shouldn't have you out there longer than 2 hrs, i wouldn't think.

xc62701

this is just xc right? sport class shouldn't have you out there longer than 2 hrs, i wouldn't think.

Last year's sport time from the 19-29 class was between 1:14 to 1:48 so expect times somewhere in there. But the course is a little longer this year with the addition of the new trail past the damn, so expect it to be a little longer.

xc62701

I think 6 miles or so.
Last year was supposed to be 7 miles and this year there is another new trail that is bypassing some of the fireroad at the end which makes it a little longer so expect 7+ per lap. I was there yesterday and outside of one muddy section it should be in really good shape. And if the weather holds that mud should dry up pretty quickly.

NJ Jess

Good luck at the races

Just make sure you make some memories. Log book your results and what the course was like, how you felt, thoughts on how you could improve, and have a sandwich waiting for you at your car. Food and water after the race is soooo gooood. Also, have your buz card or note pad to give your new friends your number. The more friends the more rides! I love racing!

Ron

Good luck on sunday. It is a real fun course. I have done a few races there.

Like in cross country remember to leave the line at your pace and stay there all day. Do not run someone elses race.

The race course is going to start right out in a climb.

Be careful of the mosquitoes after the gas line.

As for food. If you need to eat to ride, then eat. I usually eat a gel pack about every 30-40 minutes.

Good luck.

Top Bottom