Wawayanda, Sunday May 6 (My First Race)

ArmyOfNone

What's that expression? Youth is wasted on the young?

My piece of advice: No matter what happens, the fate of the world doesn't depend on the race. I find that the most memorable times in life are when you completely screw something up. If everything in life went to plan nothing would be very exciting now, would it?

Having said that I recommend a breakfast of about 10,000 calories from Taco Bell and 8-10 cups of coffee.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

I feel the weight descending upon my shoulders now. great thanks! :rofl:

yo quiero taco bell

ryderX

Here's the course. I rode it last Sunday, this is actually the "capture" from 2 laps of it. The little loop on the top right handside is the ride to and from my car. I was on a my singlespeed and just rolled it pretty easy. It's going to be a great course, and I'd say a super turn out for the race. Remember "if it ain't fun, why do it" ?
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2596860

anrothar

entirely thrilled
kris, do you have your max set at your lt, or is it off? because you went 9 beats over your 'max'...

walter

Fourth Party
Best of luck Fred, have a good ride, have a fun ride. If things go sour, you and Brett can turn into the Malachii brothers, I think that was their name, anyway, the guys from Happy Days that used to gang up on people in the demolition derby episode. Wait, do you remember Happy Days??? Just kidding, have fun, I predict you will do better than you are expecting.

D

DANSPANK

Good luck buddy - share the stories afterwards for those of us yet to start racing!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
don't forget to bring some sticks to shove in the wheels of passing riders. and if experts or elites are lapping you, it's perfectly acceptable to push them off the trail into a tree/thorny bush/pile of rocks/spectators. in fact it's encouraged.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
got it. apparently, after racing with a hangover in ireland, i discovered that my max is 3 beats higher than i previously thought.....

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
good luck fred...give 'em hell!

if i were you, i'd watch out for brett. he said something about "well, i paid my entry fee and ain't no one getting in MY way!" :D

ArmyOfNone

o yes itll be fun.

I brought rocks and a slingshot just in case :rofl:

yes i do know about happy days...just not that episode.

J-Dro

Or, there's this gem from the "unofficial" RSF site. These guys are haaaawt.
disc2.jpg

ArmyOfNone

I made it!

*Note: This will be long and not make sense (but when does it?)*

Lets start from the beginning. I left straight from work and arrived in decent time. Just at the same time as Glancing Aft (Will) arrived. He had two other friends that were very very nice. Will was super supportive and friendly and i look forward to riding with him in the future. And no i didnt pass him. He passed me.

I warmed up for a bout a half hour and it was kind of an iffy warmup. We didnt know where to go or where we were going. Next time i may bring the trainer and roadie.

We get to the start and had to wait about 10 mins to get off. So at that time i was cooling down. Not a big deal because when the race started, holy shit we were moving. I was able to hold on to the lead group for about 15 minutes and we got to the third or fourth climb and i was hurting. It was a crazy pace and these guys were not letting up as much as i was hoping they would.

So as the first lap went on there were many ups and downs. More downs than ups. I really thought i was gonna quit after the first one. It really sounded like a good idea. Sitting in the grass, sippin on some gatorade and watch everyone else suffer. I would kill myself if i did.

Once i got through the start/finish, i knew i was in for the whole thing.

So im not really sure how to assess my race. There were sections that i felt really good through and others not so nice. I got passed on the climbs alot, which i was not happy about.

I had to stop and get off the bike twice bc my back felt like it was going to explode! Omg it hurt so bad. I rode as long as i could b4 i had to get off and stretch.

I finished 18th of 30 and my official time was 1:43. I feel ok with that bc for a ride of that length and technicalness, it was about as fast a ride i could pump out. Although i feel i can be faster.

The race sucked as i was riding. It was long, painful, and tiring.

Lets not forget brett. mad man he is. for the short time i was with him he was just cruising along like it was nothing. making motorcycle noises and rousing up the crowds. and then he was gone and i didnt see him to the end lol. Good times brett!

As bad as this may all sound, really today was AWESOME! it took me to cross the finish to realize how much fun i really had. I cant wait for the next one. But i have some things to work on in the mean time.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2660291

the stop time is long bc of the wait at the start. :getsome:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
You killed it bro!!

Mental and physical can be anywhere on any given day.It's all about getting you and most importantly the bike back in one piece.It sucks to have to be like "well if i didn't flat and then destroy my derailiur".Smooth and consistant wins the war.Think about where you could've raised your lowest speeds instead of "how can i get faster?",cause it's the easiest way to up your speed average.PS Truvativ Blaze cranks 175mm,I'll check w/ the shop and you run it past Jdog and see if they work for you................

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
*Note: This will be long and not make sense (but when does it?)*

I finished 18th of 30 and my official time was 1:43. I feel ok with that bc for a ride of that length and technicalness, it was about as fast a ride i could pump out. Although i feel i can be faster.

The race sucked as i was riding. It was long, painful, and tiring.

As bad as this may all sound, really today was AWESOME! it took me to cross the finish to realize how much fun i really had. I cant wait for the next one. But i have some things to work on in the mean time.
Way to go Fred! A fine result for anyone, not too mention a first race. Well done.

Your comments capture a pretty good part of what racing is like for many: A lot of "Boy is this hard!" followed by "Boy I want to do it again!".

Would have loved to have been there this morning, but had some "real life" issues that took precedence. Not remotely the first race I've missed and it certainly won't be the last, but I was still bummed.

June's not that far away...

Top Bottom