Wawayanda State Park Conditions

chris12453

@jeffstick is correct. It has been heavily overgrown up there this year. Prior to the cut back, you couldn't really get down Pines without bleeding from all your limbs unless you went in with DH gear. The top of Tombstone was the same. I'm okay with this as I was sick of it being so overgrown heading to Gravity and such. Now if someone could take a lawnmower down to rattlesnake, that would be fantastic. I have not seen ATV's up there either. I live in the area, and they are usually down on Cherry Ridge fireroads and in the park on Iron Mountain Road, etc. If you want to see a highway of trail damage, go to Ringwood. The ATV's and UTV's made them wide enough to put an 18 wheeler down the trails. I like to call it the I-95 extension.

Kaleidopete

@jeffstick is correct. It has been heavily overgrown up there this year. Prior to the cut back, you couldn't really get down Pines without bleeding from all your limbs unless you went in with DH gear. The top of Tombstone was the same. I'm okay with this as I was sick of it being so overgrown heading to Gravity and such. Now if someone could take a lawnmower down to rattlesnake, that would be fantastic. I have not seen ATV's up there either. I live in the area, and they are usually down on Cherry Ridge fireroads and in the park on Iron Mountain Road, etc. If you want to see a highway of trail damage, go to Ringwood. The ATV's and UTV's made them wide enough to put an 18 wheeler down the trails. I like to call it the I-95 extension.
Glad to hear it, I guess the folks I talked to got it wrong thinking it was ATV's tearing it up.
I haven't been there since July, but at that time I thought Tombstone was fine.

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG

The trail has been cleared down to rattlesnake

Kaleidopete

With this last storm Iron Mt trail was a real mess with trees and brush down.
I cleaned a lot of it up today so it is rideable. Lots of water on the trail though.
You're going to get dirty and wet if you ride it. It still needs some fine tuning with
branches, but it is totally rideable now. One thing that seems odd is that Nature didn't
cause all the trees blocking the trail, they look like they were deliberately cut and dropped
in order to block the trail. This was my biggest chore, to clean up this mess. Look at the trees
off to the right, they are cut off about three feet from the ground and deliberately dropped
across trail. Very strange. My cuts are just along the side of the trail. This was done in four
different spots about 100 feet apart

Dsc03713.jpg
Dsc03714.jpg
Dsc03715.jpg

sundaydoug

Rode today, trails are mostly in good shape. Even the super-wet spots on Double Pond were rideable. Some decent-sized trees down near the Cherry Ridge end of Red Dot.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions