Wawayanda State Park Conditions

sundaydoug

@sundaydoug, that may be true, but the rest of the park is getting the same treatment. So understandably, it is a bit ridiculous at this point. There are a bunch now on wall. My advise without sounding like a jerk is to go create these shortcuts in sterling with the other 800 lines (and I ride there so its fine) but that is the place for it.

Only reason I chimed in is because I happened to ride that trail this weekend with the guy that built it (along with many other trails in the park) and it was discussed.

trekfan

FYI that shortcut was put in by the very person that BUILT that trail and comes in handy for XC skiing in the winter

yeah i don't care. it doesn't give him license to butcher perfectly fine trails and make them confusing to everyone for zero benefit (no offense to the 3 of you who do xc skiing). that's how we end up losing access to parks

sundaydoug

While definitely still in sub-optimal condition, the bad section of Double Pond between Plymouth and Cedar Swamp is ridable. The standing water is almost 100% gone and if you can stay on the rock path in both wet spots you're good.

chris12453

I ride the park almost every day. I think my biggest gripe is that people are spending time making shortcuts when the main trails need clean up work. This will eliminate 90% of these shortcuts.

On a better note, @sundaydoug is correct. Double Pond is mostly passable now. Definitely stay on the rock paths. The mud is deep.

Kaleidopete

Monday morning cleanup time after the Sunday picnickers.
dislike1.jpg

Dsc02889.jpg

Kaleidopete

So this is a problem at many parks - really sad. Do they have a carry-in/carry-out policy?
so no garbage cans? And they also charge for entry in the summer when there is a lifeguard?
Yes, like most state parks, it's carry in & carry out
They do charge for entry starting at 8AM, LOTS of people come in earlier to avoid the fee.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Yes, like most state parks, it's carry in & carry out
They do charge for entry starting at 8AM, LOTS of people come in earlier to avoid the fee.

So this is a failure of policy. Charging people creates entitlement. They wonder where are the garbage cans?
I know they don't want to deal with the bears and large containers. Same at RV, and they don't have bears.
In the summer, trail maintenance suffers, because it is all-hands on clean-up.

there may also be some language barrier issues - not sure if the signs are translated.

As an experiment, they should hand out large garbage bags, with instructions, and maybe a container where stuff gets dropped, and then locked.
they still need to deal with the garbage - may as well change the way it is handled. maybe even a compactor to make it easy, and secure.
anyway - better places to discuss this than here.

Robin

Did a loop from Cherry Valley today. Trails were great with the exception of the end of Splitrock, which has already been noted. Had some trouble finding the trail through the power lines too as it's overgrown and wet.

Hi all. Read somewhere here that the road to Ferber Circle was washed out several weeks ago. Washed out in the normal way or impassable? May head here tomorrow.

Skunkape

Was out there today and have never seen such flagrant 4x4 damage on cherry ridge. More disturbing was the extensive work done to widen purpose built single track for atv use. Tombstone, rattlesnake and pines have had their character altered, not in a good way. If this is somebody’s idea of trail maintenance, it is heavy handed to say the least.

Kaleidopete

Was out there today and have never seen such flagrant 4x4 damage on cherry ridge. More disturbing was the extensive work done to widen purpose built single track for atv use. Tombstone, rattlesnake and pines have had their character altered, not in a good way. If this is somebody’s idea of trail maintenance, it is heavy handed to say the least.
I heard that from another group today too, such a shame.

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG

Not sure who did the work on tombstone, pines but both of these will grow in and it was essentially pruned back to cut the picker bushes by someone. Whoever did it also did cut some of the ends of trees that were cleared by previous blow downs which is why it looks wider also. It may not grow back now but in the spring you will never know it was that wide now. Those areas are known to grow in fast and heavy. I do not think these were opened for atv use.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions