Wawayanda State Park Conditions

onetracker

Agree that the conditions have been good.

We will get out and do some trimming after these storms roll through. My observations are: string trim/prune: pines, gas line, cabin, turkey ridge, the area on the bridges on Twin Bridges. Twin Bridges probably needs to be pruned the whole way.

Any big trees down? I know we need to do the one on Hoeferlin. I rode most of the park over the last couple of weeks and did not see many. I have not been on Pumphouse in a while.

chris12453

@onetracker Twin Bridges wasn't too bad actually. I was on it the other day. I have not been on pump house in a while, but I do recall somebody telling me there was a big tree down just over the rock bridge. I can't say for certain though. There are a couple trees down on pickle with a route around. Those trees are on the turkey ridge end. After the storms tomorrow, more might come down.

onetracker

@onetracker Twin Bridges wasn't too bad actually. I was on it the other day. I have not been on pump house in a while, but I do recall somebody telling me there was a big tree down just over the rock bridge. I can't say for certain though. There are a couple trees down on pickle with a route around. Those trees are on the turkey ridge end. After the storms tomorrow, more might come down.
I rode pickle and think maybe those trees should stay. The bypasses seem OK IMO. Not sure what other folks think.

onetracker

100% true. Except in this case, the new trail that has been created rides better, is more sustainable and does not widen the existing trail (it is a replacement). I will give these a second look.

trekfan

waway is a complete disaster. red dot totally unrideable, mojo unrideable, hemlock unrideable. twin bridges is ok generally. i've honestly never seen it this bad, even after sandy. trees down everywhere, and it's not just one-offs its big sprawling trees that are taking out 20-30 ft of trail at a time. really frustrating "ride" today. i'm afraid the season may be over as i doubt anyone's going to be able to get through this much damage at this point in the riding year. maybe other parts of the park are in better shape but based on my limited sample today, riding is done in waywayanda for the forseeable future

chris12453

I ran wayway today. Wingdam by the dam coming from the lake is a disaster. Hoeferrlin from ranger station was okay. Pump house to the rock bridge was okay. Maybe I'll ride it tomorrow and see what @trekfan was mentioning and see what can be done. This weekend, I'll get over to wildcat and gravity and see what I see maybe.

onetracker

Thanks. Please keep us posted; especially the large trees (a photo would also be helpful). We are working on a plan for cleanup. Unfortunately, I am out of town until next week.

@V-Dub helped out yesterday and cleared Mojo and Hemlock. Thanks!!!!!

If folks ride, please bring a hand saw and clear the small stuff. Greatly appreciated!!

mtn

Sorry guys. Too far of a ride for me to contribute. Plus I really need a new ms261.

Kaleidopete

Hoeferlin to Iron Mt is good. Iron Mt had two trees blocking by the AT crossover. Down power lines too. That all might have been fixed by the power company by now.
Intersection of Red Dot & D Pond trees down, I cleared some, but lost my derailer and my ambition shortly afterwards.

Dingo

Any updates?
I was planning a first time ride here, it's a 2 hr drive don't want to be disappointed.

Kaleidopete

Any updates?
I was planning a first time ride here, it's a 2 hr drive don't want to be disappointed.
Most of the park is in good shape, Not Red Dot trail though. I've heard Hoeferlin is poor too.
I always check the Trailforks info

Dingo

Most of the park is in good shape, Not Red Dot trail though. I've heard Hoeferlin is poor too.
I always check the Trailforks info
Thanks Pete.
Gonna wing it with maprika
I attempted using TF. Cannot get past the first page, won't load maps. Too frustrating and the chances of my phone getting smashed with a hammer increase 150%

chris12453

Hoeferlin has two trees down in close proximity. I rode it the other day other than that it is fine. One tree you can hop you so desire.

Skunkape

Did a good size loop this morning. Laurel white dot pickle turkey ridge Buddha split rock porcupine Gary’s world Plymouth hoff way way road and past the forge. Always nice to clean all of split rock minus the giant poplar right before the pipeline. Pipeline mud bog is epic!

kjarrett

Hoping to explore this park on Monday, need advice. I’m 58, ride a 26 year old hardtail with 51mm of travel and I’m basically allergic to rock gardens lol. Flow is my jam but (quoting the Joey in 'I Only Ride Park') I don’t mind climbing. Green is good! Planning to start at the lake area. Recommendations? I have Trailforks. Thanks in advance!

p.s. separately, what are the best flow trails in our state (there are a few good ones down here in South Jersey)?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
If you're allergic to rock gardens, Northern NJ really isn't for you - but still give it a go! Sorry, I don't have any way way advice bc i don't know it well. The only places i'd consider flow are Nassau, 6 Mile Run and Allaire. I don't know anything south of Allaire though.

kjarrett

Thanks, totally understand. It’s just that I will be in the area for the bike race on Sunday and figured I would hit what was nearby. I’ve already been to six mile run, was ok, not really into wood features. I don’t normally go very far north in the state so I was wondering where else I could consider going. I’ve already been to six mile run. I will check out Allaire, it’s literally on my way home. Appreciate the reply...

EDIT: BRIDGES TERRIFY ME lol

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions