Wawayanda Park Officially Closed 4/7/2020

sundaydoug

Related question - Newark Watershed property is not NJ state forest correct? Assuming you have a valid permit this should still be fair game?

Kaleidopete

Good job, posting on a public forum that you are going to ride illegally in a park that is officially closed. Banner day for the Mountain Bike Community!! Perhaps this is why you guys have not been nominated for a MacArthur Genius Award.

This level of self righteousness is astounding.
I never said that I was going to ride the park illegally, in fact today's ride was Clinton Rd.
I was only stating how I never see anyone when I'm out riding the park.
I don't think it's a good idea to state your intentions publicly on a forum either. ?

onetracker

I never said that I was going to ride the park illegally, in fact today's ride was Clinton Rd.
I don't think it's a good idea to state your intentions publicly on a forum either. ?
My comments are my opinion; nothing more, nothing less. Not sure what intentions I stated but you seem to revise history a bit. In one of your previous posts you typed: “On one hand I feel I shouldn't ride the park anymore, on the other hand I feel why not when I never see anyone anyhow.”.

You only need to get randomly a tiny bit too close to someone who has COVID19 to then spread this virus. It is not about you; it is about us. 1,200+ people in NJ have DIED to date. Why is this community publicly debating where they should illegally ride a mountain bike?

Ride your bike, don’t ride your bike. Who cares.

chris12453

@onetracker

I honestly do not really care if they know I am riding or not. We will all do what we want to do. You can track me to Way way or not, doesn't matter. I show up in magical places all the time. You never know.

But, I have had enough, I have said my piece. See you all on the trails.

onetracker

@onetracker

I honestly do not really care if they know I am riding or not. We will all do what we want to do. You can track me to Way way or not, doesn't matter. I show up in magical places all the time. You never know.

But, I have had enough, I have said my piece. See you all on the trails.
Dude, really, no one cares what you do. Especially me; as long as you do not jepordize legal access to mountain bike trails in NJ parks.

Perhaps consider not typing everything that crosses your mind?

FatTaco

As some of you might know, I ride here EVERY day. With all that's going on I gotta say nothing has changed much for me.
Yeah, I get here early, like 7AM. I usually ride for two hours every day. I see NO difference since all this started. At most, I
will see two or three people in my two hour ride. I have heard that later in the day the crowds come in, I don't know cause
I'm home by then. Many days I see nobody. If I didn't see the TV news I wouldn't even know there is a Pandemic going on.
Too bad for me that I'm supposed to give up my riding routine because the town, county, state, country, world, has this problem going on that I feel very removed from because my life is so far removed from all of this. On one hand I feel I shouldn't ride the park anymore, on the other hand I feel why not when I never see anyone anyhow. I ride eighty miles a week and literally encounter no more than a handful of people in that week. And that's not close contact, that's just people I can see off in the distance, not on a singletrack. I'm sure nobody else can relate to this because everyone else doesn't live in the boondocks like me. Just venting.
Well its all about you so you are good then. The pandemic wont hit you because you ride early. Carry on

sundaydoug

Hey Pete I just saw you ride by my house again, saw you yesterday as well. I'm stuck inside working, sitting in front of the computer. Glad you're getting out on the bike, even if it's just for a road ride.

BTW I picked up my Newark Watershed permit today. The office was out of control with people picking up permits. Have you ridden any of the watershed trails?

Kaleidopete

Hey Pete I just saw you ride by my house again, saw you yesterday as well. I'm stuck inside working, sitting in front of the computer. Glad you're getting out on the bike, even if it's just for a road ride.

BTW I picked up my Newark Watershed permit today. The office was out of control with people picking up permits. Have you ridden any of the watershed trails?
I've had watershed permits for the last 5 years and this year I forgot. I'll have to get one.
They are great trails there, although I always get lost. If you're on Strava you can see some great hikes by J Nagy.
You could do many many miles there, very isolated though.
I've been getting out some, did a morning ride before the rain and an afternoon ride to check local trails by the powerline.

Last edited:

V-Dub

Just to put it out there Newark Watershed has always been closed to MTB

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I’ve been meaning to pick one up for a while as there’s a lot of hiking I’d like to check out there. I kept procrastinating since I thought you could buy them online, but looks like you still have to pick them up in person. Oh well.

Kaleidopete

Thanks, I didn't know that. I usually wind up on what looks like fire roads and quad/truck trails, very wide and large tire rutted.
I've come across many quad and motorcycle peeps drinking and party time. I guess it's the trails your on that matter. I saw a pickup truck with a boat in the back with a family riding on Paradise trail coming from the lake. I thought it was OK if they had their permits.

sundaydoug

I didn't know that. I bought a permit last year and never actually used it, although I could have sworn I read through all the literature scanning for anything about bike access and never found it.

I any case, they're new trails to me. I'll hike 'em if I have to.

FatTaco

19033.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions