Waterbury VT trails?

trener1

I'll be heading up to Waterbury VT next weekend to visit some (non riding) friends.
I see that there is a place called Perry Hill right in Waterburry, has anyone ridden there or know anything about it?

JDurk

Aug '21 trip to Waterbury and that was the only location we didn't ride. Cady Hill/Stowe/Von Trapp 1st day, Sleepy Hollow 2nd day, and drove to Mad River Valley trails for 3rd day. I believe there's trails in Little River S.P. and XCish trails at Cochrans ski hill not far from Waterbury as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: don

trener1

I'm only going to be there for two days and I'm going with my family, so it's not a riding vacation, but figured I'd bring my bike and hopefully get a taste of the local trails, so looking for something that involves minimal driving and somewhere where I can hopefully not get lost, so I can be in and out in a couple of hours, I heard that there are lots of good trails at Stowe, but since this is right in Waterbury, I figured it might be my best bet.
Though all of those trails that you mention sounds like fun

roc

I'll be heading up to Waterbury VT next weekend to visit some (non riding) friends.
I see that there is a place called Perry Hill right in Waterburry, has anyone ridden there or know anything about it?
It’s been a long time since I’ve been there, but I remember it as pretty gnarly. Way more than Stowe town loops. Big hills, super fun.
Your also only a 1/2 hour from millstone in Barre, I think it’s one of the best trail systems in Vermont. Not as technical as perry hills.

trener1

Thanks for the heads up on Milstone, I didn't realize that Perry Hill was super gnarly, that isn't really my thing

roc

Thanks for the heads up on Milstone, I didn't realize that Perry Hill was super gnarly, that isn't really my thing
It’s been a while, but That my best recollection. Maybe some people on here have ridden in more recently.
if you’re not in love with technical trails, you’ll love millstone. They do have some tech, but it’s easily avoidable. Place is great.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I wouldn't call Perry Hill gnarly at all, especially to someone from NJ. Are there some *really* gnarly rollers there? Yes indeed, but none are mandatory. They redid the climb to make it a bit more palatable, but yeah...you climb to start. better than climbing to finish eh? There are smaller loop options, but most climb to the top - Lower climb, red tape, scotch tape. From there you can do Joe's to Six Flags, short climb back up and get yer way to Burning Spear via permission. Climb back a little and do Disneyland if you're feeling it. These are the best trails there. If you want "easier" but still really fun, do the green stuff instead, like Smores, etc.

Little River State Park is fun too, but it's no Perry Hill. Some crazy fun flow trails there though.

Bottom line - go ride Perry. It is an iconic destination and you wont be disappointed.

roc

I wouldn't call Perry Hill gnarly at all, especially to someone from NJ. Are there some *really* gnarly rollers there? Yes indeed, but none are mandatory. They redid the climb to make it a bit more palatable, but yeah...you climb to start. better than climbing to finish eh? There are smaller loop options, but most climb to the top - Lower climb, red tape, scotch tape. From there you can do Joe's to Six Flags, short climb back up and get yer way to Burning Spear via permission. Climb back a little and do Disneyland if you're feeling it. These are the best trails there. If you want "easier" but still really fun, do the green stuff instead, like Smores, etc.

Little River State Park is fun too, but it's no Perry Hill. Some crazy fun flow trails there though.

Bottom line - go ride Perry. It is an iconic destination and you wont be disappointed.

you would know better than me. It’s been at least 12 years since I rode there. I was following a buddy and we did some big jumps at speed, that I would not do again. It worked out, but if I had known they were coming, I would have looked for the go around.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Here's a strava link I dug up. It's a bit old but gives you a sense of the climbing and has a few pics. Yay for rainy Sundays!

I'll dig up some pics too. "Small Axe" which is at the end of burning spear, formerly called Rastaman, is my fav trail there btw.

trener1

Thanks for the great replies and videos and Strava link.

I dont mind climbing as such, but the super tech is over my head.

Just for reference I really like riding at Stephans for me it has enough "tech" to keep it fun but isn't over my head, but just heading over the road to Allamuchy North and I end up walking half the trail and not having a good time.

So wondering where Perry Hill would fit between those 2 parks.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the great replies and videos and Strava link.

I dont mind climbing as such, but the super tech is over my head.

Just for reference I really like riding at Stephans for me it has enough "tech" to keep it fun but isn't over my head, but just heading over the road to Allamuchy North and I end up walking half the trail and not having a good time.

So wondering where Perry Hill would fit between those 2 parks.
It has tech, but I don't walk away from there thinking that I just rode a super tech park. It's closer to Stephens if I have to choose, but I would call it more of an Allaire with rocks and more hills. I dunno.

Top Bottom