watchung?

BiknBen

anyone ever ride up here at the watchung hills i guess im thinking bout heading up that way in a few

The place has been closed to bikers since 1901. They started enforcing it 15 years ago. The trails are all overgrown and washed out. Don't bother.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The trails are all overgrown and washed out. Don't bother.

I like your style Ben. But you're dead wrong. The riding in there is actually really good, I mean, really illegal and NOT recommended (wink, wink) and there is some "unofficial" trail maintenance going on to keep the trails pretty clean, for hiking of course. Not that I'd really know that for sure though because I'd, uh, never (nudge, nudge) ride a trail that was closed to mountain bikers because that's not right;)

-Jim.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I like your style Ben. But you're dead wrong. The riding in there is actually really good, I mean, really illegal and NOT recommended (wink, wink) and there is some "unofficial" trail maintenance going on to keep the trails pretty clean, for hiking of course. Not that I'd really know that for sure though because I'd, uh, never (nudge, nudge) ride a trail that was closed to mountain bikers because that's not right;)

-Jim.

FELON!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Why do you assume I meant riding a bike? That would be wrong, that's not what we were talking about. I actually have a guy follow behind me with 2 coconuts while I pretend to ride a horse, not quite unlike in the holy grail. Riding a bike there is wrong, everyone knows that, C'mon guys...

-Jim.

BiknBen

...The riding in there is actually really good, I mean, really illegal and NOT recommended (wink, wink) and there is some "unofficial" trail maintenance going on to keep the trails pretty clean, for hiking of course.

Dude!?! Now the MAN is gonna find out about the pump track and jumps you made. You were supposed to keep it on the down-low!

Full disclosure:
Me, Myself, and I have never ridden there. The last time I spoke to someone who had they said it was not worth it. The good stuff is no longer good and there was nothing new.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We ride the road bikes through the park. It is really quite beautiful. :)

I know you're being silly but it really is nice up there. When I lived in Kenilworth I rode there literally every day.

MTB Aussie

Add to the danger by riding through there at night. Of course if you were allowed to ride on the trails that would be safer but no, someone is gonna have to get hurt before they realize that. Not that I advocate riding off road at night, especially not Watchung since that is off limits after all. Riding anywhere at night is plain crazy. I thought I saw a UFO at Watchung one night but it was just a hiker doing a little night hiking, in the rain, with a HID light. Crazy mofo.

ellenserruto

I am a fan of Watchung . . however its relatively easy and small. Even I don't get lost in there. . when I'm hiking of course.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to hike there all the time when I lived in N. Plainfield. I would ride my mt bike to the park and then hike the trails. Night hiking there could be quite spooky, esp. by that abandoned village thing and then a little swing over to the quarry could be nice.

bobkennelly

Broken record

Dude!?! Now the MAN is gonna find out about the pump track and jumps you made. You were supposed to keep it on the down-low!

Full disclosure:
Me, Myself, and I have never ridden there. The last time I spoke to someone who had they said it was not worth it. The good stuff is no longer good and there was nothing new.

Once again, we are talkin about my Home town. I grew up on Saddlebrook rd. With it right in my back yard, along with the Nike Missile base, I used to ride my Schwinn Stingray on those very same trails Ben... thats right , I am old, this was back in the late sixties, this could be one of the BEST places to ride if it were really cleaned up. I know every inch of the valley, there is not even a hint of trail maintence going on, I dont even think I ever think I saw a union county park truck any where as well. The lake was dredged about 10 years ago, but I had just driven by in my car this past weekend, my father is back in the hospital again at Overlook.
The place is filled with lilly pads again, It just brakes my heart to see this area which could just be so nice. And I still ride my mtn bike there once in a great while...

Top Bottom